Long range shooting - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Long range shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 01:09 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 137 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm a young'in compared to some of you guys. just a hair over 30. I know Hathcock.

anyway...I'm looking at picking up my first long range rifle, bolt action .308 I don't plan on shooting animals, at least for awhile. I do think it would be fun to shoot a grapefruit at 400 yards, with a go-pro camera about 5' away from the fruit. Watch it explode and then hear the shot 2/3 of a second later!

As I'm studying ballistics charts for different rounds, it's shocking to see just how much a bullet starts to drop at 400-600 yards.

I know that gravity is an acceleration, and the longer it acts on an object, the faster it's vertical velocity gets. Makes me wonder how anyone can make a 1000 yard shot when the bullet is dropping hundreds of inches.

apparently I've got a LOT of studying and math to do, even as I'm learning to shoot 400 yards. I don't have any place currently where I can go take longer shots.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #32

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cuda383

As I'm studying ballistics charts for different rounds, it's shocking to see just how much a bullet starts to drop at 400-600 yards.

I know that gravity is an acceleration, and the longer it acts on an object, the faster it's vertical velocity gets. Makes me wonder how anyone can make a 1000 yard shot when the bullet is dropping hundreds of inches.

apparently I've got a LOT of studying and math to do, even as I'm learning to shoot 400 yards. I don't have any place currently where I can go take longer shots.
Drop is simple if you reload consistent ammo, windage is my challenge.
I can currently group 7" @800

Old 02-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCIC View Post
If you want to compare notes you could also have mentioned
Name Conflict Service Branch Kills
Francis Pegahmagabow W.W. I Canada 378
Ivan Sidorenko W.W. II U.S.S.R. 500
Zhang Taofang Korea China 214
Adelbert Waldron III Vietnam U.S. Army 109
Chris Kyle OIF/OEF U.S.Navy 160
Mark Osmond Afghanistan U.K. 44
I just heard on the news today that Chris Kyle was killed yesterday at a shooting range...

tragic.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniehill View Post
Drop is simple if you reload consistent ammo, windage is my challenge.
I can currently group 7" @800
yes, calculating bullet drop is simple mathematics, and windage is what separates the men from the boys.

Hopefully I can learn to read and mentally calculate windage quickly, and graduate from "boy" to "men" haha.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #35
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cuda383 View Post
yes, calculating bullet drop is simple mathematics, and windage is what separates the men from the boys.

Hopefully I can learn to read and mentally calculate windage quickly, and graduate from "boy" to "men" haha.
and the longer the distance, the trickier that wind gets. plus the wind can either move from different directions or even change directions while the bullet is in flight.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:04 AM   #36

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

and the longer the distance, the trickier that wind gets. plus the wind can either move from different directions or even change directions while the bullet is in flight.
Ie: rob furlongs 2.5km shot was made at 9,000ft above sea level with TWO cross winds and had to adjust only twice till he got that hit.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:19 AM   #37

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Dallas, Texas – Chief Chris Kyle (USN) and his trusted friend, Chad Littlefield, were tragically killed on Saturday, February 2, 2013, by a troubled veteran whom they were trying to help. Chief Kyle lived by a personal motto that "it is our duty to serve those,who serve us," and he and Littlefield died honoring this creed. Above all else, Chief Kyle was a unique individual and an amazingly loving father, husband, son, brother, friend and devout Christian who had a profound effect on the lives of those he touched.
Chief Kyle was publicly known for being the President of Craft International LLC and the author of the best-selling book, American Sniper. Chief Kyle, a former Navy SEAL, served four Combat tours in Operation Iraqi Freedom and elsewhere. For his bravery in battle, he was awarded two Silver Stars, five Bronze Stars with Valor, two Navy and Marine Corp Achievement Medals, and one Navy and Marine Corps Commendation. After retiring from the Navy, Chief Kyle founded Craft International LLC, a military and law enforcement training company, and was involved in numerous charities, including co-founding FITCO Cares Foundation, and other charitable events benefiting wounded and disabled servicemen and women returning from combat.
"Chris was a true American hero having devoted his adult life to serving his country in combat as a member of the U.S. Navy SEALs and in training our military and law enforcement personnel after leaving the Navy. Chris was also an extremely devoted family man – a wonderful husband and loving father. He gave so much of his time to charitable causes that assisted military personnel and their families and died while trying to help a struggling service member. We are all saddened by his tragic death. America lost one of its finest sons and a true patriot. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the Kyle family" said Steven Young, Craft's CEO.
Mr. Young requests that the media respect the privacy of the Kyle family and friends while they grieve the loss of Chief Kyle. Details of the memorial service and funeral will be released at a later time.
Respectfully
Craft International
image-1590632269.jpg  

Old 02-06-2013, 03:47 PM   #38

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just traded an AR for this, minus the scope. It has a Wyatts bottom metal with 5rd mags, Timney trigger, and B&C stock. I've ordered a Vortex 6-24x50 FFP Mil scope, Burris Xtreme rings, and a Nightforce 20MOA base. Can't wait to put it together and start testing it out. I have access to a 400 yard range in my state, so for now that is as far as I can go. Just trying to find Hornady 168gr Match ammo to feed it.

The hardest thing was choosing the scope. I had an SWFA 5-20HDx50 FFP but sold it a while ago. Wanted to give the Vortex a try as i've heard very good things.

Pic is from previous owner...ignore the scope on it.
Long range shooting - General Rifle Discussion

Last edited by jamesb; 02-06-2013 at 03:51 PM.