Long range shooting
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Long range shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 11:02 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6599 Times on 3676 Posts
Likes Given: 6248

Default Long range shooting

If you really, really feel the need, enlist in the army or marine corp and apply for sniper training.

Please don't "learn" by wounding living animals.

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-27-2013, 11:57 PM   #2

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 793

Now, You need to stop making sense. Your bursting the bubble of all the wanna be snipers that hang crap and use a $100.00 scope on a very basic hunting rifle and think they have the ultimate 1000 yard rifle. Even some "seasoned hunters" here make claims that are possible, but not realistic. I've said it before, If you can consistantly make a 400 yard shot at an 8" target (the size of your melon, or kill zone of most medium game), You are very good. It really not so simple.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

People Like This 
Old 01-28-2013, 11:06 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6599 Times on 3676 Posts
Likes Given: 6248

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Now, You need to stop making sense. Your bursting the bubble of all the wanna be snipers that hang crap and use a $100.00 scope on a very basic hunting rifle and think they have the ultimate 1000 yard rifle. Even some "seasoned hunters" here make claims that are possible, but not realistic. I've said it before, If you can consistantly make a 400 yard shot at an 8" target (the size of your melon, or kill zone of most medium game), You are very good. It really not so simple.
But.....but....Ma uncle Bubba done toll me that .300 Savage he got from Sears 'n' sawbucks will carry real good out ta dang near half mile with them newfangled smokeless bullets. Prolly a mile with one of them thar telly-scopy sights.
People Like This 
Old 01-28-2013, 11:50 PM   #4

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 793

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
But.....but....Ma uncle Bubba done toll me that .300 Savage he got from Sears 'n' sawbucks will carry real good out ta dang near half mile with them newfangled smokeless bullets. Prolly a mile with one of them thar telly-scopy sights.
Humor interjected, nice touch!
With all the crap on Youtube w/ guys "making" 700 yard shots on steel w/ a 91/30 w/ iron sights, you really can blame some new shooters from thinking they can do the same w/ a rifle that cost slightly more w/ a $150.00 scope. What the people that make those videos don't tell them is they fire the rifle at the berm and put the target where the bullets hit. They use the same POA and hit 50% of the time. Barnum would be proud.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

People Like This 
Old 01-29-2013, 12:09 AM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i like the one where some are of the thinking that walking shots into the target is considered accurate shooting!

i was taught to shoot at one distance until you mastered that distance, then move further out and so on.

i guess i could use the walking in method and start using my 30-30 for a 1000 yard target rifle!

Old 01-29-2013, 08:37 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus
If you really, really feel the need, enlist in the army or marine corp and apply for sniper training.

Just a helpful hint, former and current Marines get VERY ancy when people write A. marine without the capital m and B. corp because the United States Marine Corps isn't a corporation it's a military body trained to defend American lives and interests in the world.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:29 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus

I don't wound animals, I kill them.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:53 PM   #8

Liked 258 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
i like the one where some are of the thinking that walking shots into the target is considered accurate shooting!

i was taught to shoot at one distance until you mastered that distance, then move further out and so on.

i guess i could use the walking in method and start using my 30-30 for a 1000 yard target rifle!
Or the guys that shoot at a target and use Kentucky windage until it finally hits, then they think they're Hathcock.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:33 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovco

Or the guys that shoot at a target and use Kentucky windage until it finally hits, then they think they're Hathcock.
Why would they think they're hathcock? Most people in the 21st century probably haven't even heard of him lol

Old 01-30-2013, 06:57 AM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCIC View Post
Why would they think they're hathcock? Most people in the 21st century probably haven't even heard of him lol
some of us have. i have also read several books about him. he was a very good sniper and one helluva a gifted shooter.