Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Long range shooting (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/long-range-shooting-82624/)

locutus 01-27-2013 10:02 PM

Long range shooting

If you really, really feel the need, enlist in the army or marine corp and apply for sniper training.;);)

Please don't "learn" by wounding living animals.:(:(

jpattersonnh 01-27-2013 10:57 PM

Now, You need to stop making sense. Your bursting the bubble of all the wanna be snipers that hang crap and use a $100.00 scope on a very basic hunting rifle and think they have the ultimate 1000 yard rifle. Even some "seasoned hunters" here make claims that are possible, but not realistic. I've said it before, If you can consistantly make a 400 yard shot at an 8" target (the size of your melon, or kill zone of most medium game), You are very good. It really not so simple.

locutus 01-28-2013 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpattersonnh (Post 1112870)
Now, You need to stop making sense. Your bursting the bubble of all the wanna be snipers that hang crap and use a $100.00 scope on a very basic hunting rifle and think they have the ultimate 1000 yard rifle. Even some "seasoned hunters" here make claims that are possible, but not realistic. I've said it before, If you can consistantly make a 400 yard shot at an 8" target (the size of your melon, or kill zone of most medium game), You are very good. It really not so simple.

But.....but....Ma uncle Bubba done toll me that .300 Savage he got from Sears 'n' sawbucks will carry real good out ta dang near half mile with them newfangled smokeless bullets. Prolly a mile with one of them thar telly-scopy sights.:eek::eek:

jpattersonnh 01-28-2013 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by locutus (Post 1113983)
But.....but....Ma uncle Bubba done toll me that .300 Savage he got from Sears 'n' sawbucks will carry real good out ta dang near half mile with them newfangled smokeless bullets. Prolly a mile with one of them thar telly-scopy sights.:eek::eek:

Humor interjected, nice touch! ;)
With all the crap on Youtube w/ guys "making" 700 yard shots on steel w/ a 91/30 w/ iron sights, you really can blame some new shooters from thinking they can do the same w/ a rifle that cost slightly more w/ a $150.00 scope. What the people that make those videos don't tell them is they fire the rifle at the berm and put the target where the bullets hit. They use the same POA and hit 50% of the time. Barnum would be proud.

Axxe55 01-28-2013 11:09 PM

i like the one where some are of the thinking that walking shots into the target is considered accurate shooting!:eek:

i was taught to shoot at one distance until you mastered that distance, then move further out and so on.

i guess i could use the walking in method and start using my 30-30 for a 1000 yard target rifle!:p

RCIC 01-29-2013 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by locutus
If you really, really feel the need, enlist in the army or marine corp and apply for sniper training.;);)

Just a helpful hint, former and current Marines get VERY ancy when people write A. marine without the capital m and B. corp because the United States Marine Corps isn't a corporation it's a military body trained to defend American lives and interests in the world.

GhostUSA556 01-29-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by locutus

I don't wound animals, I kill them.

hoovco 01-29-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55 (Post 1114049)
i like the one where some are of the thinking that walking shots into the target is considered accurate shooting!:eek:

i was taught to shoot at one distance until you mastered that distance, then move further out and so on.

i guess i could use the walking in method and start using my 30-30 for a 1000 yard target rifle!:p

Or the guys that shoot at a target and use Kentucky windage until it finally hits, then they think they're Hathcock.

RCIC 01-30-2013 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoovco

Or the guys that shoot at a target and use Kentucky windage until it finally hits, then they think they're Hathcock.

Why would they think they're hathcock? Most people in the 21st century probably haven't even heard of him lol

Axxe55 01-30-2013 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCIC (Post 1116057)
Why would they think they're hathcock? Most people in the 21st century probably haven't even heard of him lol

some of us have. i have also read several books about him. he was a very good sniper and one helluva a gifted shooter.