long range shooting - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > long range shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2011, 10:10 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 718 Times on 495 Posts
Likes Given: 743

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
Ive just read that there had been kills at 800 meters. 400 would still be a challenge with that primitive scope!
from something i read.....
Your article did not post on my reply, but here it is. Zeiss actually helped the Soviets set up the Progress plant in the late 1930's a shared technology. The Soviets produced the PE scope, similar to the Zeiss 1939. When everything was heading down hill the PU was introduced. 30mm tube w/ no bell, but it did have windage adjustments. An 800 meter shot would be the equivalent of 175 meter sight picture and is 875 yards. Think about that. Modern snipers would use a 10x, not a 3.5x scope for that. The Soviets took the best shots and handed them a sniper rifle, there was no training to speak of. Most of the mounts were made in the city where the fighting was happening. So the rifle had the mount attached, the scope fitted and was handed to the "sniper" w/ a few boxes of ammo. There shots were center mass, not head shots. Fielding 400 designated marksmen in a ruined city would be very devastating. You show me a city that you could even take an 800 meter shot, forget the rubble and obstructions in the streets. .

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 04-12-2011 at 10:13 PM.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:35 AM   #12

Liked 741 Times on 491 Posts
Likes Given: 802

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Your article did not post on my reply, but here it is. Zeiss actually helped the Soviets set up the Progress plant in the late 1930's a shared technology. The Soviets produced the PE scope, similar to the Zeiss 1939. When everything was heading down hill the PU was introduced. 30mm tube w/ no bell, but it did have windage adjustments. An 800 meter shot would be the equivalent of 175 meter sight picture and is 875 yards. Think about that. Modern snipers would use a 10x, not a 3.5x scope for that. The Soviets took the best shots and handed them a sniper rifle, there was no training to speak of. Most of the mounts were made in the city where the fighting was happening. So the rifle had the mount attached, the scope fitted and was handed to the "sniper" w/ a few boxes of ammo. There shots were center mass, not head shots. Fielding 400 designated marksmen in a ruined city would be very devastating. You show me a city that you could even take an 800 meter shot, forget the rubble and obstructions in the streets. .
Neat info!!

Old 04-13-2011, 01:25 AM   #13

Liked 313 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Shooting 1000 yard is a commitment most can't or won't make. For years I shot out to 600 yards before I got into the 1000 yard stuff last year. I had always considered myself a fairly good shot and that my trigger technique and position shooting was good. I got with a shooting club while I was having my rifle built and when the rifle was completed I started to shoot with them. I shot at a couple of their practice sessions and was keeping on paper out to 1000 yards but was struggeling with POI consistancy on the target.

The club puts on a long range clinic every year. Last year I paid my money and signed up for it. At this clinic we had class time then range time with coaches to watch, spot, and correct us newbies. At that clinic I found that I had several habits in sooting techniques that had to go. Mostly it was trigger techniaues and leastly it was positional errors. Positional errors were easy to correct but the "bad" trigger habits that I had gotten away with for many years were and still are difficult to overcome. The more I dry fire parctice and get live fire trigger time the easier it gets overcoming my "bad" trigger techniques. Since this clinic every time I go out I'm seeing continueing improvement every time. (More 10 rings and more X rings) Thats not to say I still don't get fliers on target but I can now usually call POI's before they get to target.

Reading wind is another skill that IMO is a cross between science and art. Luckly I can nail wind fairly well. However, I keep records of every shot I take and study these records pretty thouroughly between range time. I keep records of temp., barro, humidity, wind, elevations, wind hold off, and the POI on target of every shot I send. I get the targets at the end of the day and we number the POI's with stikey dots we put over the POI's along with the yardage when we pull targets. This helps alot to learn and have good documentation to look back on when shooting again in similar conditions. Developing accurate dope sheets is the key to this endevour IMO.

A proper rifle set up is also needed for getting out this far and having any chance of scoreing points consistantly. Unfortunately it's quite a spendy affair. I gave my rifle, before I attended the clinic last year, to a friend that has been shooting this long range stuff for near 30 years now to check it out. He proved to me beyond a doubt that the rifle can get the job done, when in the right persons hands, extremely well past 1000 yards. It's me that has to continue on this journey to get to the level of what the rifle can do.

Also, for me, the learning curve is the most fun part. To be honest I've become terribly addicted to this long range shooting and don't see any time in the near or distant future that I'll put it down.

Last edited by mrm14; 04-13-2011 at 01:37 AM.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:15 AM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
Shooting 1000 yard is a commitment most can't or won't make. For years I shot out to 600 yards before I got into the 1000 yard stuff last year. I had always considered myself a fairly good shot and that my trigger technique and position shooting was good. I got with a shooting club while I was having my rifle built and when the rifle was completed I started to shoot with them. I shot at a couple of their practice sessions and was keeping on paper out to 1000 yards but was struggeling with POI consistancy on the target.

The club puts on a long range clinic every year. Last year I paid my money and signed up for it. At this clinic we had class time then range time with coaches to watch, spot, and correct us newbies. At that clinic I found that I had several habits in sooting techniques that had to go. Mostly it was trigger techniaues and leastly it was positional errors. Positional errors were easy to correct but the "bad" trigger habits that I had gotten away with for many years were and still are difficult to overcome. The more I dry fire parctice and get live fire trigger time the easier it gets overcoming my "bad" trigger techniques. Since this clinic every time I go out I'm seeing continueing improvement every time. (More 10 rings and more X rings) Thats not to say I still don't get fliers on target but I can now usually call POI's before they get to target.

Also, for me, the learning curve is the most fun part. To be honest I've become terribly addicted to this long range shooting and don't see any time in the near or distant future that I'll put it down.
Will you be shooting or watching the 600/1000 yard NBRSA Nationals next week at Sac. Valley?

-Rick

Unbiased Barnard, BAT, Kelbly, Nesika Bay x2, Remington x3, Browning, Marsh, Ruger x2, Savage x3, UltraLight Arms, AR15 x3 owner. I like 'em all.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:35 AM   #15

Liked 313 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchbarrel View Post
Will you be shooting or watching the 600/1000 yard NBRSA Nationals next week at Sac. Valley?

-Rick
No, work load wont allow it. I'm self employeed and I'm a bit over loaded with work right now. Going to try to be shooting practice the end of this month but no guarantees.