Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > long range shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 12:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Default long range shooting

A lot of people want to shoot long-range rifle, but have no idea what they need or the matrix of shooting that distance.

Personally I would recommend you start with baby steps and learn to shoot first. Then graduate up the ladder with higher end weapons and scopes. For one reason is cost, of equipment and items needed for shooting. You can get some good mid range rifles and scopes to learn with for $1000 or less. These are good for 100- 600 yards, after that you can use the same equipment but there are better things out there, (at a higher cost).

Some when they find out the matrix give up on the idea of shooting 1000 yards. Some don’t want to start out small and work up, they just want to go right into hitting the earth someplace out at 1000 yards with a big powerful rifle that cost an arm and 2 legs. Many get disgusted and blame the weapon and scope for their bad shooting.

Here is just a thought, If you can hit a target constantly at 600 yards with a good .308 rig and a good scope then you should be able to hit a target at 1000 yards from time to time. Though 1000 yards is a very long ways out there it is still not impossible with practice and learning. My goal is to place dime size groups at any range and I am still working on 100 yards at this time. I tend to shake a lot so dime size groups is harder for me.

I remember a long time ago actually hitting a 12-inch steel-swinging target with a M14 at 1000 yards. It took 3 shots but I did hit it and was elated for the rest of my life. How ever the shooting team leader could hit it 3 out of 5 times. I was happier then a Killer wheal ****ting on its trainer at sea world. Looking back on it I really do wander how I hit the dam thing at all.

opaww

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-11-2011, 01:04 PM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaww View Post
A lot of people want to shoot long-range rifle, but have no idea what they need or the matrix of shooting that distance.

Personally I would recommend you start with baby steps and learn to shoot first. Then graduate up the ladder with higher end weapons and scopes. For one reason is cost, of equipment and items needed for shooting. You can get some good mid range rifles and scopes to learn with for $1000 or less. These are good for 100- 600 yards, after that you can use the same equipment but there are better things out there, (at a higher cost).

Some when they find out the matrix give up on the idea of shooting 1000 yards. Some don’t want to start out small and work up, they just want to go right into hitting the earth someplace out at 1000 yards with a big powerful rifle that cost an arm and 2 legs. Many get disgusted and blame the weapon and scope for their bad shooting.

Here is just a thought, If you can hit a target constantly at 600 yards with a good .308 rig and a good scope then you should be able to hit a target at 1000 yards from time to time. Though 1000 yards is a very long ways out there it is still not impossible with practice and learning. My goal is to place dime size groups at any range and I am still working on 100 yards at this time. I tend to shake a lot so dime size groups is harder for me.

I remember a long time ago actually hitting a 12-inch steel-swinging target with a M14 at 1000 yards. It took 3 shots but I did hit it and was elated for the rest of my life. How ever the shooting team leader could hit it 3 out of 5 times. I was happier then a Killer wheal ****ting on its trainer at sea world. Looking back on it I really do wander how I hit the dam thing at all.

opaww
Good advice. I view 1,000 yard shooting like I do golf, that's why I don't waste my time on either one. Some people go out and spend thousands of dollars on equipment and invest zero in lessons. Problem is, if you don't spend years perfecting your shooting you will only be mediocre at best...but just like golf that one great shot keeps you coming back for more.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 04-11-2011, 03:55 PM   #3

Liked 715 Times on 472 Posts
Likes Given: 761

My goal is to hit something at 800 yds with my Mosin and its 2.5x PU scope... I figure if the WWII Russian snipers could do it, so can I.... (with some practice, of course! )

Old 04-11-2011, 11:14 PM   #4

Liked 694 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 714

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
My goal is to hit something at 800 yds with my Mosin and its 2.5x PU scope... I figure if the WWII Russian snipers could do it, so can I.... (with some practice, of course! )
You do realize that the Soviet snipers became famous for urban sniping. 400 meters was a long shot. The ammo you use is the key factor as they did not have specific ammo they were issued. Heavy ball... That is the best.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:38 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2342 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 1189

OPAWW,

You are absolutely correct. There is a lot more to that distance shooting than just pulling the trigger! So I too would not suggest that the focus on beginning to shoot a precision rifle is anything over 600 yards and at that working up to that. I believe if you can not get consistent 1/2-3/4 MOA Groups you best stay at the closer ranges. Then you throw in the wind estimation, light, mirage,humidity and other factors which are at best sometimes a SWAG (Scientific Wild Ass-ed Guess) at 1000 yards.
I have been with units and at 600 yards seen 5 Range Flags all blowing in different directions at the same time. As well as at different velocities!
So for the new beginner to even think about being proficient at all at 1000 is dreaming. You miss much more than you would like to admit even if you have been on the rifle as I have been since I was 12 YOA. And for a total of 44 years. Still haven't arrived to where I would think I am proficient at 1000 yards. I think I could categorize it as just fun. Though I no longer have the facilities available to shoot it since retiring in 2003. Back in the day! Even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while! LOL! I must admit it was a rush as OPAWW said to drill em at 1000! As OPAWW also said for you guys starting! Start at 100 and work your way up. It takes a long time and a lot of study! Or you may just get discouraged and $$$$ poor! Good Luck!
Just for information:
My 1000 yard. shooting was done with the following weapons and in order of time span.
M-14, McMillan 50BMG, Barrett 50BMG, 40X Remington.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:57 PM   #6

Liked 715 Times on 472 Posts
Likes Given: 761

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
You do realize that the Soviet snipers became famous for urban sniping. 400 meters was a long shot. The ammo you use is the key factor as they did not have specific ammo they were issued. Heavy ball... That is the best.
Ive just read that there had been kills at 800 meters. 400 would still be a challenge with that primitive scope!
from something i read.....
Quote:
Up to 1943, Soviet infantry was primarily armed with the bolt-action 1891/1930 Mosin-Nagant rifle with iron sights. It was accurate to 400 meters. The scoped Mosin-Nagant sniper rifle was accurate to 800 meters.

Last edited by Trez; 04-11-2011 at 11:58 PM. Reason: change

Old 04-12-2011, 12:01 AM   #7

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

What?

Get a rifle get a scope find a range and start jerkin that trigger. There is nothing better than trigger time. That is what teaches you dope and how to read with wind. No book can teach you that.

It is not rocket science. It is lobbing a bullet to a target at 1000 yards.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:40 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Long range shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaww View Post

Then graduate up the ladder with higher end weapons and scopes. For one reason is cost, of equipment and items needed for shooting. You can get some good mid range rifles and scopes to learn with for $1000 or less. These are good for 100- 600 yards, after that you can use the same equipment but there are better things out there, (at a higher cost).

opaww

I came to a disturbing realization when I was going to the range yesterday...
The value of the 4 long range benchrest rifles in the back of my 2003 Tundra 4x4 exceeded the value of my truck. My 1K BR heavygun.

-Rick

Unbiased Barnard, BAT, Kelbly, Nesika Bay x2, Remington x3, Browning, Marsh, Ruger x2, Savage x3, UltraLight Arms, AR15 x3 owner. I like 'em all.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:05 AM   #9

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Rick is that the Bat action?

What caliber are you shooting? Looks BIG from the size of your ammo boxes....

Old 04-12-2011, 07:24 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Rick is that the Bat action?

What caliber are you shooting? Looks BIG from the size of your ammo boxes....
Yes, it's the 2"x10" BAT action. I'm shooting the rifle as a .284 Shehane in that pic. It's throated for the 175-180gr. bullets. At 58#, it's very comfortable to shoot. I've also got two 6.5x.284 Shehane barrels for it.

-Rick

Unbiased Barnard, BAT, Kelbly, Nesika Bay x2, Remington x3, Browning, Marsh, Ruger x2, Savage x3, UltraLight Arms, AR15 x3 owner. I like 'em all.