Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Long range set up for beginner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 01:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Long range set up for beginner

Wondering if anyone with long range shooting experience, 600-1000 yards will be able to answer a few questions for me. I am interested in buying a rifle, specifically for the bench that will reach out accurately to 600-1000 yards. I am looking first at what caliber should I be looking at? .223, .243, .308 will all of these be suitable or is 1 preferred over another?

Next I am looking at barrel legnth, should I stick with a 26" bull or will a 24" bull work as well?

I will preface this by stating that I have no bench experience for this type of shooting, so my theory is start at 100 yards and become proficient in that range, then move to 200 and so on.

What I am hoping to do is purchase a nice rifle from the start that I can grow into without having to spend big money at a smith to tweak my purchase. I have set my budget roughly in the $1500 range but will extend it to 2k if need be.

Thanks for your time

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-10-2011, 02:37 AM   #2

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have ZERO experience with LR shooting but I have interest in it and have asked some questions about this before. My best advice to you is to read the opinions posted here before.

You will find that most people here advise a .308 with custom loads, a custom rifle based on one of the big three recievers (Remmy, Howa or Savage you will never get a straight answer because it is so dependent on preference.) and a scope that will definitely set you back at least $1000.

Now if you were to change your range to around 600 meters or less, then the advice changes to something a little more reasonably priced, like an out of the box Savage 12 series, a Remmy 700 or a Howa 1500 with a moderately priced scope.

This is what I have read here and by no means is advice by me. Below is the thread I posted last year. Dillinger, Tango, Cane and many others posted links and a lot of great info there.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/help-me-daydream-about-my-next-project-23060/

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Last edited by DarinCraft; 01-10-2011 at 02:44 AM.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:57 PM   #3

Default Long range set up

I to am trying to come up with a long range package. I have decided on the 270 WSM due to it's incredible long range ballistics. So far I have narrowed my choice of rifles to a Winchester Model 70 Coyote light (a medium wieght varminter that is gauranteed to shoot sub MOA) or the Browning A-Bolt model 100 Eclipse, another Varmint based rifle chambered in the 270 WSM. I also considered the Savage model 12 VSS but it is no longer chambered in my preferred caliber and I can not currently locate an older one. For a scope, I have decided on the Nikon 4x16x42 Monarch with the BDC reticle and the side adjustable objective. A great scope for the money with an amazing eye relief of 3.7 to 4 inches

Last edited by AKFISHGUIDE; 01-10-2011 at 03:59 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 01-10-2011, 04:45 PM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

What is your background?

How long have you been shooting?

What ranges and what firearms types are you familiar with?

One can spend all the money they want on a set up but if you don't have the skill set to read the wind dope the wind use marriage to see wind direction and speed all your going to be doing is reinforcing bad habits and wasting ammo.

Your best bet for a beginner long range rig is going to be to forget about the Browning, Winchester is good but Savage has a purpose built long range gun the F-class and the F-T/R. Savage Arms Firearms > All Firearms List

You can get them in 223, 308, and 6.5x284.

As for the scope I would think about going with at least a 6-24x40mm if not a 8-32x40mm check Nikon the monarch 6-24x50mm is a great scope and Bushnell makes an elite 4200 8-32x40mm

Old 01-10-2011, 08:08 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Lr br

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longrange View Post
Wondering if anyone with long range shooting experience, 600-1000 yards will be able to answer a few questions for me. I am interested in buying a rifle, specifically for the bench that will reach out accurately to 600-1000 yards. I am looking first at what caliber should I be looking at? .223, .243, .308 will all of these be suitable or is 1 preferred over another?

Seems like back east, the .30 caliber is king. Lots of guys shooting .300 Ackley's, .308 Baer and many other wildcats. The .223 and .308 Win. are not accurate enough at 1k to be competitive in BR. I did not say they won't do it, because we all know they will. The 6.5x.284 is another common caliber, easy to load for and shoot. Known as a barrel burner though, most will quote 900-1200 round competitive life. 6BR is a great round, easy on barrels, less powder cost. 6.5x47 and .284 Win (throated for 175-180 gr. bullets) are both becoming more and more popular. The 7mm bullets have some of the best ballistics until you get into the heavy .30 calibers. If I were new, the 6BR with a 1-8" twist with a ~.104 freebore for heavy bullets is where I'd start.

Next I am looking at barrel legnth, should I stick with a 26" bull or will a 24" bull work as well?

Some guys will use a shorter barrel, 99% are using 28-32" tubes depending upon caliber/weight restrictions etc. If you plan to shoot competitions, figure out where you'll be doing most of your shooting and build the rifle to meet the class requirements.

I will preface this by stating that I have no bench experience for this type of shooting, so my theory is start at 100 yards and become proficient in that range, then move to 200 and so on.

Again, a fast twist 6BR would be great here too.

What I am hoping to do is purchase a nice rifle from the start that I can grow into without having to spend big money at a smith to tweak my purchase. I have set my budget roughly in the $1500 range but will extend it to 2k if need be.

Check the classifieds at Accurateshooter dot com and also Benchrest dot com, there's many good custom rifles to be found at or near your $2000 price range (hopefully that doesn't include your optics budget). Or, as has previously been mentioned, one of the Savage factory Benchrest/F-Class guns would be a good way to get started. I just saw a used one for $750.

Thanks for your time
Enjoy
-Rick

Unbiased Barnard, BAT, Kelbly, Nesika Bay x2, Remington x3, Browning, Marsh, Ruger x2, Savage x3, UltraLight Arms, AR15 x3 owner. I like 'em all.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:47 PM   #6

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default off the beaten path...

im gonna think out of the box .....again ...sorry guys its genetic.why not go with something non traditional ,ready to go out of the box ,with inexpensive ammo..... that has a proven record ,and as a plus looks mean as hell.. get you a soviet dragunof /tiger sniper rifle have fun ... gain knowledge ....and save money up for precision long range rifle ,optics ,wind meter ,spotting scope ,reloader of your dreams ...just my 2 cents powg pissed off white guy

Last edited by powg; 01-14-2011 at 03:51 PM. Reason: misspelled word

Old 01-14-2011, 05:49 PM   #7

Liked 622 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by powg View Post
im gonna think out of the box .....again ...sorry guys its genetic.why not go with something non traditional ,ready to go out of the box ,with inexpensive ammo..... that has a proven record ,and as a plus looks mean as hell.. get you a soviet dragunof /tiger sniper rifle have fun ... gain knowledge ....and save money up for precision long range rifle ,optics ,wind meter ,spotting scope ,reloader of your dreams ...just my 2 cents powg pissed off white guy
So what did you go and have to do that for?? Great idea. He could also look for an M41b Swede sniper, those run under $2000.00 w/ great optics. Sure it is a 4x Ajack scope, but seriously, I would not want to be within 800 yards of it.
Even a PSL w/ a 4x PSO scope is a dandy 600 yard rig. Under $1000.00 w/ optics. The optics can be ungraded to a 6x or 8x or even a variable scope pretty cheap.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:44 PM   #8

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default soviet tiger

imo the dragunof's only drawback was its scope /mounts ....(for bench purposes.)...... but for its designated purpose of sniper duty ,in the most inhospitable conditions known to man mountains,desert,ice,tundra,tropical ,urban battlefields.....the scope/mounts and the rifle itself ....for pure ruggedness cant be beat .

Old 01-14-2011, 10:53 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

While I agree the Dragunov is a great rifle for what it is intended, and a killer looking rifle to boot, it sounds to me like the OP is looking for more of a bench rest rifle. Plus it appears he is looking for something with a bull barrel. I would recomend one of the rifle from Savage.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:57 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

a Dragunov? Seriously?

If you can find a real one, it would cost way more than you want to spend, and the knockoffs will only shoot 2 to 3 MOA. You would be better off with 700, or another precision sporting rifle.

When you can hit the target at 300 yards, I will be impressed. If you can hit paper at 500 yards, you will have surpassed everyone but dedicated snipers, and long range competitors. There is huge difference between a rifle being able to shoot 500 yards, and someone actually being able to hit anything.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but unreal expectations will lead to frustration and wasted time and money. Find a ballistic table and see what the bullet drop is at 500 yards for any of the rounds you previously mentioned. I think you will be shocked.

Remingtons ballistic calculator

Remingtons best .308 round has about 50 inches of drop at 500 yards.