Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Long Range Rifle Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 04:17 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Default Long Range Rifle Question

Howdy,
As some of you might know me, I'm a military person and i love shooting all kind of weapon, but when times come to choose a weapon is kinda hard for me. I'm also a tactical kind of person also if it help.

I'm looking for a budget long range rifle but yet to do the following.

1. Long distance 1,000 yards.
2. Accuracy
3. Power(Good and strong enough for hunting all kind of varmints or big animal..bear...etc)

I'm on a 400 dollar budgets.

So far i have some in mind....

1.Remington 700 ADL
2. Savage Axis or Savage Axis SR
3. Ruger American
4. Remington 700 Sps(Why i put this last if it the best?, Is the last option im doing since it cost dearly.)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-03-2013, 04:30 PM   #2

Liked 427 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 695

A little over your budget.. but .416 Ruger would be good...

Don't follow me.....You won't make it.....

Old 08-03-2013, 04:50 PM   #3

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 141

Here's an interesting link that discusses the merits of .308:

http://www.snipercentral.com/308.htm

From my experience, the Remington 700 is an excellent platform. Lots of aftermarket parts and work you can have done to dial in your 1,000 yard shots. You could get an inexpensive used model 700, and upgrade parts or have it modified by a gunsmith as you get funds.

Of note, many calibers that are good for large bear will have a substantial drop (perhaps too much) at 1,000 yards. Once more, as you get into the 1,000 yard realm, factory ammo might not get you where you want to be. However, if you're not hunting the great bears of the North, .308 will do fine for just about any North American large game.

Finally, according to "Remington Shoot!" software, 168 grain .308 has a trajectory peak of 143" and a 200 grain .338 win mag (popular for bear) has a trajectory peak of 132". Sort of surprising to me. Of course, one must balance this against the availability of match grade ammunition in your caliber of choice.

Joe

"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Winston Churchill

Suggested gun control movement talking point: "We're OK with guns to keep our families safe, we just don't want you to have them." - Joe

Last edited by jp_over; 08-03-2013 at 04:58 PM.
opaww Likes This 
Old 08-03-2013, 05:01 PM   #4

Liked 1695 Times on 1031 Posts
Likes Given: 356

For a good, dependable, accurate 1000 yd platform that will consistently make lethal hits on the vitals area of big game in tough hunting environments, you need to increase your budget. The scope may not even be covered by your budget.

You also won't be likely to find an off the shelf rifle with the mechanical accuracy in that price range. You may be able to find a base platform that you can do some work to. But after the work, you are likely to be over budget.

Caliber selection to be humanely lethal at that range on game animals is going to be pretty limited and pricey as well.

But really the first question you will have to ask is what is the real maximum range you as a shooter are able to make consistent lethal hits at? If you can't keep 10 rounds inside of a foot at 1000 yds. You shouldn't be trying to hunt at that distance. If you wound an animal at that range, you just gave it a 1000 yd head start to track and finish.

If you are serious about hunting, you really need to focus on scouting, stalking, and closing distance on game without being detected. Then get yourself into guaranteed shooting distance. That strategy will open more options to the rifle you can use effectively.

I'm not against doing some long range shooting, but it takes a lot if practice. How do you do at 500 yds and 600 yds? Is it good enough to keep all of your shots on a paper plate? If not then the focus should first be on shooting, then the platform. An older used Remington 700 or Savage 10 or 110 in .308 would be a good, capable platform to start practicing with at 500-800 yds.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:08 PM   #5

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 141

I should have clarified my post - my suggestions are based on the assumption that this would be a dual-use rifle: 1,000 yard/long range shooting at paper and hunting at what I would call reasonable distances (100 - 300 yards or up to where you can consistently hit vitals).

Joe

"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Winston Churchill

Suggested gun control movement talking point: "We're OK with guns to keep our families safe, we just don't want you to have them." - Joe

Old 08-03-2013, 05:10 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 761 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 785

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrangTuan View Post

I'm looking for a budget long range rifle but yet to do the following.

1. Long distance 1,000 yards.
2. Accuracy
3. Power(Good and strong enough for hunting all kind of varmints or big animal..bear...etc)

I'm on a 400 dollar budgets.

So far i have some in mind....

1.Remington 700 ADL
2. Savage Axis or Savage Axis SR
3. Ruger American
4. Remington 700 Sps(Why i put this last if it the best?, Is the last option im doing since it cost dearly.)
Howdy ,

1000 yds accracy...Im for .30 cal...a .308 or 30-06.
Plenty of energy still left at 1000yds for Bear. With proper shot placement.

IMO , overkill for small varmints (Yotes)

$400 or less...Dont discount any of the first 3 on your list.

Of course I must say ,Im a Savage guy, I have other breeds, but my Savages always give me the best accuracy, with factory or handloads.
I also like 300 Win Mag and .338 lapua for those distances and accuracy, but ... you did say $400, I have seen a few .300 Win Mag with Syn stocks for $400 used.

Good luck...and pics when you get it.

Jim

btw, as others stated you MUST spend way beyond your budget on Optics ,for 1000 yd shooting consistent.

Last edited by phideaux; 08-03-2013 at 05:17 PM.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:11 PM   #7

Liked 83 Times on 64 Posts

whatever you get.........go with bull barrel. i recommend remington 700vs in .308 with leupold 10x optics but at that budget your handicapped. the cheapest descently accurate one would be the savage 110......308 i suggest. the bsa mildot 6-24 x 50mm scope is cheap but works great.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:20 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1350 Times on 1026 Posts
Likes Given: 1764

Default Changing of the +..............

Don't fire till you see the whites of thier eyes...............

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 08-03-2013, 06:30 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16827 Times on 9751 Posts
Likes Given: 43886

jut something to give some thought to. long range shooting, (like 1000 yards) and budget rifles don't usually go together. possible, but not likely for accurate long range shooting. IMO, $400 isn't quite enough to get a rifle capable of shooting accurately at 1000 yards, if that is just $400 for a rifle and no scope.

and usually hunting rifles and target rifles ae two different types of rifles, that trying to combine the features of both into one usually defeats the purpose of either one. most times it's not even a good compromise trying to do the same thing with one rifle.

any of those rifles you listed would make a decent hunting rifle at reasonable ranges, with the proper ammo and using good shot placement. want a 1000 yard target rifle? get ready to spend some money, or you need to build one. i seriously doubt that you will be able to buy a $400 or less of the shelf, factory rifle that is capable of shooting accurately and consistently at 1000 yards.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Ok, Let say if i just pick a affordable 400 dollar rifle right now and build it later with good parts? (Custom Trigger,Etc) In all those rifle, which is a decent one of your choice?