Long range rifle
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Long range rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 06:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Long range rifle

Started getting into the longer range shooting at targets out to 1000 and 1500 yards, and very rarely, but occasionally groundhog not quite as far.

I like both of the calibers I will be asking about, and plan on having a custom gun built on a Remington 700 action later. For now however, I have been looking at the savage long range hunter in 6.5-284 and .338 lapua.

My questions for all of you would be, have any of you handled one of these rifles before?

Is it a good rifle choice for the cost?

Which caliber would be best suited for long range accuracy?

If you guys can, some pros and cons of each caliber.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-05-2012, 06:42 AM   #2

Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97cobra
Started getting into the longer range shooting at targets out to 1000 and 1500 yards, and very rarely, but occasionally groundhog not quite as far.

I like both of the calibers I will be asking about, and plan on having a custom gun built on a Remington 700 action later. For now however, I have been looking at the savage long range hunter in 6.5-284 and .338 lapua.

My questions for all of you would be, have any of you handled one of these rifles before?

Is it a good rifle choice for the cost?

Which caliber would be best suited for long range accuracy?

If you guys can, some pros and cons of each caliber.
The savage is as good as it gets for the price. You would have an excellent rifle. If you ever even consider hunting with this rifle you will want the 338. Lapua as it will kill everything in NA and plenty of things 4 legged or not over seas.

As far as your build a member named dillinger started a thread awhile ago explain the flaws (not bashing) in the rem 700.

He recommended a howa 1500 or a winchester model 70 action to start with.

Pm him for more details.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:40 AM   #3

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineverFTF View Post
The savage is as good as it gets for the price. You would have an excellent rifle. If you ever even consider hunting with this rifle you will want the 338. Lapua as it will kill everything in NA and plenty of things 4 legged or not over seas.

As far as your build a member named dillinger started a thread awhile ago explain the flaws (not bashing) in the rem 700.

Pm him for more details.
If I'm remembering correctly the Winchester Model 70 was used in Vietnam as the sniper rifle - when the troops could get their hands on them. They were bought up by the Army for some other purpose - training or something - and the guys tasked with starting the sniper units got hold of them and used them. Then they used them exclusively for sniping.
They were good, long range guns.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:18 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineverFTF

Pm him for more details.
Thank you for the input. I think I will go with the lapua. I'll have to do a little digging to find that thread.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:53 PM   #5

Liked 265 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 27

97 cobra Go to 6MMBR /accurate shooters site and do some reading from guys that do this kind of shooting and take it very seriously. That big boy 338 will hammer on you thru a long day of shooting. Even the 6.5-284 can get old after a while. You can build a 338 if you just have to have it but at 600 to 1000 yards the wee little 6mm or 6.5mm class cartidge more than likely will be the round that out shots you. And there shoulders will still work. At a 1000 yards it more than likely will still be a 6.5mm or a short fat 7mm or .30 cal. If you wish to buy and shoot pick a class to learn in and enjoy and make notes on what guys use. Look at the savage target line of rifles and pick one that match the class you wish to compete in. Hunting rifle class use the LRP, f-class f-tr and several others. The 260, 6.5creedmoor, and 6mmbr are good places to start and yes maybe the 6.5-284. After a few years shooting and learning you can allways rebarrel the savage with a way better class of barrel and specialty cartidge and leave nothin to a remmy. Buy the time you have a smith work that remington action in to shape your not far from some custom action price and still have a way better product. By that time to you may want to builds that full on custom with action like one of these.http://www.6mmbr.com/actions.html

Old 09-07-2012, 02:54 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1
97 cobra Go to 6MMBR /accurate shooters site and do some reading from guys that do this kind of shooting and take it very seriously. That big boy 338 will hammer on you thru a long day of shooting. Even the 6.5-284 can get old after a while. You can build a 338 if you just have to have it but at 600 to 1000 yards the wee little 6mm or 6.5mm class cartidge more than likely will be the round that out shots you. And there shoulders will still work. At a 1000 yards it more than likely will still be a 6.5mm or a short fat 7mm or .30 cal. If you wish to buy and shoot pick a class to learn in and enjoy and make notes on what guys use. Look at the savage target line of rifles and pick one that match the class you wish to compete in. Hunting rifle class use the LRP, f-class f-tr and several others. The 260, 6.5creedmoor, and 6mmbr are good places to start and yes maybe the 6.5-284. After a few years shooting and learning you can allways rebarrel the savage with a way better class of barrel and specialty cartidge and leave nothin to a remmy. Buy the time you have a smith work that remington action in to shape your not far from some custom action price and still have a way better product. By that time to you may want to builds that full on custom with action like one of these.http://www.6mmbr.com/actions.html
I posted over there and they have been helpful thus far. Thanks for the recommendation.