Long range rifle. - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Long range rifle.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2011, 06:52 PM   #81
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
It's also half science and half art IMO. Oh boy, do I know about a half arsed commitment. Took about 6 months off shooting and learned that this kind of shooting has a shelf life or at least it does for me. When I could put a round in the X, 10, or 9 ring at 1000 by the second or third shot when going two to three times a month several hours each time and 80 or so rounds practice, after over 6 months off of shooting I was all over the place. Trigger technique. Postional technique was still good thank god. At least I could keep it mostly on the cardboard target backer. Very depressing to say the least for me but I learned something. Non stop practice.
yes mrm14, i agree. the younger generation is a group that wants instant gratification with no dedication or commitment. i like the sense of accomplishment in learning and practicing to be a better shooter. learning and trying new loads for my rifle. i enjoy the time i spend shooting and reloading. it something that has brought pleasure to me for many years and hope to spend many more doing it.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:11 PM   #82

I bought a nice used M700 in .30-06 with a leupold scope used for $439. Go get yourself a nice used rifle, learn to shoot it, save your money and when you can get on paper ... even a piece or corner ... at 800-1000 yrds ... by that time you will have saved a nice chunk of cash. Trade in your training rifle and then buy one of the over priced high end glass rifles these guys are talking about. You have $500 ... you can NOT have your cake and eat it too, sorry.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:20 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACRhino View Post
I bought a nice used M700 in .30-06 with a leupold scope used for $439. Go get yourself a nice used rifle, learn to shoot it, save your money and when you can get on paper ... even a piece or corner ... at 800-1000 yrds ... by that time you will have saved a nice chunk of cash. Trade in your training rifle and then buy one of the over priced high end glass rifles these guys are talking about. You have $500 ... you can NOT have your cake and eat it too, sorry.
or better yet, build a rifle from the ground up like i am doing. of all the rifles in my collection have had lots of tuning and reloading to fine tune accuracy, and are very good rifles, they will never be able to achieve the goal i have set for the rifle i'm building. sometimes you have to start with a blank piece of paper and start from scratch to achieve a goal. i knew this and decided to start from scratch and build, rather than to try and modify one that i had. i also know that in the long run, i will have spent a large amount of money to achieve my goal of an accurate rifle.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:34 PM   #84

Liked 313 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACRhino View Post
Yeah alot of guys start with a inexpensive Remington 700 of some sort in 308 Win. to learn. A good trainer. Alot accessories for that rifle and they can upgrade parts and pieces as they progress. If they find thats it's not for them they can sell most of it off for not a big loss. The .308 Win. makes them have to get good as it's not the best long range caliber. You'r 6mm and 6.5 mm short action seems to be what a great deal of them go to in the long run.

$500.00 won't get you very far but you can start there with an inexpensive rifle and over time work up as you can afford it.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:17 PM   #85

Quote:
Yeah alot of guys start with a inexpensive Remington 700 of some sort in 308 Win. to learn. A good trainer. Alot accessories for that rifle and they can upgrade parts and pieces as they progress. If they find thats it's not for them they can sell most of it off for not a big loss. The .308 Win. makes them have to get good as it's not the best long range caliber. You'r 6mm and 6.5 mm short action seems to be what a great deal of them go to in the long run.

$500.00 won't get you very far but you can start there with an inexpensive rifle and over time work up as you can afford it.
remington M700 is a fine platform to build an accurate long range rifle out of. even off the shelf they are very capable rifles. i have always had a soft spot for M700 rifles, and can honestly say i have never had one i didn't like. my new rifle that i am in the process of building is based on the remington M700 action.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:19 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
remington M700 is a fine platform to build an accurate long range rifle out of. even off the shelf they are very capable rifles. i have always had a soft spot for M700 rifles, and can honestly say i have never had one i didn't like. my new rifle that i am in the process of building is based on the remington M700 action.
My 300 Win. Mag. is a Remington reciever and works very well. A little clunky. I just went to a Surgeons 591 reciever for a 260 Rem . short action 'cause I can. No other reason. I'll probably see no accuracy increase than I have with the trued Remington 700 reciever than with the 591 Surgeons. Hopefully the Surgeons 591 is a little smoother. Barrels are expendible.

Heres my 100 yard zero with a trued Remington 700 Long Action reciever in .300 Win Mag.
100-yard-zero-1017.2010-001.jpg

Last edited by mrm14; 11-04-2011 at 02:25 AM.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:02 AM   #87

Quote:
My 300 Win. Mag. is a Remington reciever and works very well. A little clunky. I just went to a Surgeons 591 reciever for a 260 Rem . short action 'cause I can. No other reason. I'll probably see no accuracy increase than I have with the trued Remington 700 reciever than with the 591 Surgeons. Hopefully the Surgeons 591 is a little smoother. Barrels are expendible.

Heres my 100 yard zero with a trued Remington 700 Long Action reciever in .300 Win Mag.
Attachment 34630
very nice group! i looked at those surgeons on their website, really nice looking recievers, but not cheap. they look very well made and look stout. they are about three times in price what i gave for the remington m700 reciever. looks like they would be a good foundation for a target rifle.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:34 PM   #88

Quote:
very nice group! i looked at those surgeons on their website, really nice looking recievers, but not cheap. they look very well made and look stout. they are about three times in price what i gave for the remington m700 reciever. looks like they would be a good foundation for a target rifle.
I was able to try several brand aftermarket recievers and this one , the Surgeons 591, was the smoothest of them all. Was going to go with the RSR Surgeons model as it was less expensive. They're apparently retooling now for the RSR model and don't know when it will be availablae again so I went with the 591. The gunsmith says it's their "gold standard" reciever. I'm having the bolt and the inside of this reciever Ion bonded and when I do that it should be even smoother. I'll find out. I think I'll have the Remington 700 reciever done this way too when I get around to re barreling it. It makes the action of the reciever smoother. Already shot the .300 Win. Mag. barrel out and new barrel is on the way.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:13 AM   #89

Quote:
I was able to try several brand aftermarket recievers and this one , the Surgeons 591, was the smoothest of them all. Was going to go with the RSR Surgeons model as it was less expensive. They're apparently retooling now for the RSR model and don't know when it will be availablae again so I went with the 591. The gunsmith says it's their "gold standard" reciever. I'm having the bolt and the inside of this reciever Ion bonded and when I do that it should be even smoother. I'll find out. I think I'll have the Remington 700 reciever done this way too when I get around to re barreling it. It makes the action of the reciever smoother. Already shot the .300 Win. Mag. barrel out and new barrel is on the way.
mrm14, tell me more about this Ion bonding. i am curious about it. how is it applied and what is it made of? does it take special equipment or a company that does it? thanks.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:38 AM   #90

Quote:
mrm14, tell me more about this Ion bonding. i am curious about it. how is it applied and what is it made of? does it take special equipment or a company that does it? thanks.
It's called Microslick or Ion bond and I believe heat is involved. I don't know much about it but am going to try it. Supposedly it originally was used to extend the life of oil drill bits and is also known as Diamond Black coating. A reciever that was done that way seemed alot smoother to use. It is a process that one has to be certified for. Todd, who owns Phantom Finishing, is going to do it. He also is going to Ceracoat my barrel and exterior of the reciever along with some other exterior parts. I don't think he's doing it in house yet (could be wrong about this) but does send parts out to have Micro Slick or Ion bond done. The prices for this coating treatment is under his prices and under there ion bond box that you can click on to get prioces for various gun parts. Call him and ask him about it. He can tell you quite a bit about it much better than I can. Heres his web site.

cerakote, Phantom Finishing Concord, CA Home

Last edited by mrm14; 11-06-2011 at 12:53 AM.