Long range rifle. - Page 8
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Long range rifle.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2011, 02:09 AM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

If you are looking for a long range gun first start by choosing a bullet and caliber that fits your needs. Target gun you can go with a smaller caliber, hunting needs a bigger bullet. Another thing is are you going to be reloading or buying ammo. I personally like reloading because it's alittle cheaper and is more precise. If your not reloading for target .223 is the cheapest, for hunting 7mm or 300 win or 300wsm. If you are reloading this opens up alot of different calibers. For target .223, 22-250, .243, .260, 6.5x284, .264. I recommend the .223 or the 6.5x284. Both have been used with the proper gun and shooter out past 1000 yards. If hunting for the precise shooter 6.5x284, 7mm, 300 win, 300wsm, 338. Remember the size of the vitals of the animal hunting if you can't put 9 shots out of 10 at a certain range then its to far. Before I choose a caliber, I go on the internet and research bullets and bullet BC. I want a bullet that will perform and know it's limits. A bullet with a higher BC will buck the wind more and will not lose velocity as fast and will shoot flatter. Do your research on the bullet and then choose the caliber with the bullet you like in it. I like to choose and caliber that's gonna shoot fast but still feels comfortable when I shoot it.

Go online a research the guns available to you. What the weight is like. A gun that is heavier will take more of the shock from the shot and you will feel more comfortable. I will gladly carry a heavier gun over a lighter even when in the mountains.

Choose your optics carefully. Again go online a research the scopes out there. I prefer something with an adjustable turret. There are several online ballistic calculators that you plug in your information and it gives you a solution for your gun and load.

Hope that helps you out.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:59 AM   #72
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22083 Times on 12429 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

IMO, you need to set some realistic goals first, evaluate your shooting ability first. a superb rifleman with mediochre rifle can hit their target, a mediochre shooter with a superb rifle won't. you can buy, or build the most expensive and accurate rifle than money can afford, and it will not hit a target at extreme ranges until the person pulling the trigger is capable. start at shorter distances first, learn the fundimentals, learn your equipment and get good there first, then increase your distance, then repeat. accurate long range shooting is something that takes lots of trigger time and money.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:32 AM   #73

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55
IMO, you need to set some realistic goals first, evaluate your shooting ability first. a superb rifleman with mediochre rifle can hit their target, a mediochre shooter with a superb rifle won't. you can buy, or build the most expensive and accurate rifle than money can afford, and it will not hit a target at extreme ranges until the person pulling the trigger is capable. start at shorter distances first, learn the fundimentals, learn your equipment and get good there first, then increase your distance, then repeat. accurate long range shooting is something that takes lots of trigger time and money.
Yes money is the start of long range shooting u need to spend serious range time no not the local 100 yard plinker range u need room to become used to long range shooting I have built a 1500 yard range on my land also u must get high quality optics dont go cheap plus a rifle built for extreme range I use a christensen arms 300 ultra mag topped with a leupold 5x20x50 remember tho the 300 ultra mag is not a tame caliber so shoot alot an rember targets dont feel pain keep game shots reasonable its your duty to cleanly harvest an animal

Old 11-03-2011, 02:54 AM   #74

Default Questions First.

How long range are we talking? If you have ever looked threw a scope at a 500yd shot. Thats a long ways to shoot. Not saying that I understand in the grand scheme of things 500yds is nothing. But beyond that you have to account for a lot of outside factors. Is this a target gun? Hunting Rifle? How accurate are you expecting to be. If this is a recreational gun you need to think about cost of ammo. I shoot a Marlin MR7 in 25-06 using reloaded ammo to improve accuracy. 25-06 is big enough to hunt deer and elk if you choose. I can hit accurately out to 500yds. Beyond that I ask myself why? At an animale that's a long shot to take and there is always the possibility of getting closer. At a target it's not so bad. But if your goal is to shoot those ranges out past 500yds and if its for recreation. Go big and get a .338. Mainly there are so many things to consider before deciding what caliber to invest in.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:32 AM   #75

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinguy44
How long range are we talking? If you have ever looked threw a scope at a 500yd shot. Thats a long ways to shoot. Not saying that I understand in the grand scheme of things 500yds is nothing. But beyond that you have to account for a lot of outside factors. Is this a target gun? Hunting Rifle? How accurate are you expecting to be. If this is a recreational gun you need to think about cost of ammo. I shoot a Marlin MR7 in 25-06 using reloaded ammo to improve accuracy. 25-06 is big enough to hunt deer and elk if you choose. I can hit accurately out to 500yds. Beyond that I ask myself why? At an animale that's a long shot to take and there is always the possibility of getting closer. At a target it's not so bad. But if your goal is to shoot those ranges out past 500yds and if its for recreation. Go big and get a .338. Mainly there are so many things to consider before deciding what caliber to invest in.
I dont shoot at game over 400 thats my own set range at critters I take pride in the fact I am very much able to shoot at extreme range say 1000 or more but not on game my rifle is set up for long range shooting altho I keep that for targets only not game

Old 11-03-2011, 05:09 PM   #76

Liked 2609 Times on 1483 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Hello Ryadew3468,

welcome to the FTF.

Man! Ever since Obama got elected,

all these noobs are looking for

sniper rifles...

IME, the rough formula for decent accuracy is @ 750$ per 100 yards.

That's a bare-bones, minimum, low-end cost, and conservative, to be

very kind.

I see this general question a lot, and always wonder for what does

someone who can't shoot 100 yards want to

shoot 1000 yards.

100 yards is a fair distance, what I've been doing is getting accurate

at that range. Not what to do, just what I've been doing.

While I have rifles which will range 1000 yards, in all

honesty, it's difficult to see that far with the naked eye.

Last edited by therewolf; 11-03-2011 at 05:16 PM.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:04 PM   #77

IMO, if you plan on shooting long range, several issues have to be addressed. what is your definition of long range? 300, 500 or 1000 yards? then you need to honestly evaluate your shooting skills and truly how accurate you are. then you need to assess your equipment. people who shoot very small groups at very long ranges spend many hours shooting, reloading and practicing. they also spend large amounts of money on reaching their goal. some even have a natural talent that allows them to be better at it than the average person. skill, talent, lots of hard work and lots of money equals a very, very good shooter.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:05 PM   #78

Liked 348 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Not being able to see that far with the naked eye, and you can't when it comes to bullet holes, is solved by the pits where targets are pulled and markers are placed that can be seen from 1000 yards between shots by the shooter. Also, points are added up as well. The large marker is moved for every shot and the shooter can see the marker through his or her scope. A club is usually required to get access to these ranges with at least two people there, or more, one to pull targets and place marker and one to shoot tagets to be marked. Usually target puller and shooter change up places when the other wants to shoot.

Target pits
img_5362-1-.jpg

Last edited by mrm14; 11-03-2011 at 07:15 PM.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:25 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
Not being able to see that far with the naked eye, and you can't when it comes to bullet holes, is solved by the pits where targets are pulled and markers are placed that can be seen from 1000 yards between shots by the shooter. Also, points are added up as well. The large marker is moved for every shot and the shooter can see the marker through his or her scope. A club is usually required to get access to these ranges with at least two people there, or more, one to pull targets and place marker and one to shoot tagets to be marked. Usually target puller and shooter change up places when the other wants to shoot.

Target pits
Attachment 34588
very good point mrm14. also a lot of them use a spotter to call their shots to know where they need to adjust the scope to. IMO, i think too many of the younger generation of shooters are believing the crap they see on tv and the movies, thinking that is reality. reality is, a man that shoots that well, has spent many hours behind the trigger, learning exactly what his rifle can and will do. if a person wants to shoot accurately at long ranges, it a learning curve and dedication and commitment to the craft of long range shooting. it is no different than anything else in life, wild expectations and half assed commitment won't ever get you there.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:39 PM   #80

Liked 348 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
very good point mrm14. also a lot of them use a spotter to call their shots to know where they need to adjust the scope to. IMO, i think too many of the younger generation of shooters are believing the crap they see on tv and the movies, thinking that is reality. reality is, a man that shoots that well, has spent many hours behind the trigger, learning exactly what his rifle can and will do. if a person wants to shoot accurately at long ranges, it a learning curve and dedication and commitment to the craft of long range shooting. it is no different than anything else in life, wild expectations and half assed commitment won't ever get you there.
It's also half science and half art IMO. Oh boy, do I know about a half arsed commitment. Took about 6 months off shooting and learned that this kind of shooting has a shelf life or at least it does for me. When I could put a round in the X, 10, or 9 ring at 1000 by the second or third shot when going two to three times a month several hours each time and 80 or so rounds practice, after over 6 months off of shooting I was all over the place. Trigger technique. Postional technique was still good thank god. At least I could keep it mostly on the cardboard target backer. Very depressing to say the least for me but I learned something. Non stop practice.