Long range rifle. - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Long range rifle.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 11:38 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1789 Times on 924 Posts
Likes Given: 1356

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
That's unsportsmanlike.
Not really, all the other competitors had similar set ups.
Quote:
The rifle is a tool. The marksman is a MAN (or woman)
I think it was a 'marksmanship' competition in name only. I think these unlimited competitions are really design contests for ballistic engineers.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:43 PM   #32

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
Not really, all the other competitors had similar set ups. I think it was a 'marksmanship' competition in name only. I think these unlimited competitions are really design contests for ballistic engineers.
That was more of a jibe in jest on the lack of "shooting skill" not meant to be taken literally, but more lightheartedly.

An engineering feat for sure! It's pretty awesome, but the man behind the rifle, IMO, is just as important if not more important than the rifle itself.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:20 AM   #33
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21723 Times on 12313 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i think they are called rail guns, very accurate, very expensive to build and very time consuming to reload for, also very heavy.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:22 AM   #34

Liked 1789 Times on 924 Posts
Likes Given: 1356

Quote:
That was more of a jibe in jest on the lack of "shooting skill" not meant to be taken literally, but more lightheartedly.
Oh I know. I forgot to use the . Sorry.

Quote:
An engineering feat for sure! It's pretty awesome, but the man behind the rifle, IMO, is just as important if not more important than the rifle itself.
Yeah, IMO too. It's the person behind these 'rifles' that designed and machined these contraptions. I think they may even machine their slugs on a lathe. I don't think they use Walmart ammo.

I agree it doesn't have ANYTHING to do with marksmanship through. ()

Old 10-10-2011, 12:50 AM   #35

I wouldn't mind having one though. I just don't think I would be bragging about how good I could shoot with it. I would be bragging about how good my rifle could shoot.

Most of us aren't as accurate as our rifles are anyway.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:41 AM   #36

If you would like a long range, low drop, hard hitting rifle. I have a weatherby 30-378, using 180 gr. Barnes x factory loads. Only drawback is around $130 a box. Drop is 19.8 at 500 yards. Roy weatherby developed the rifle in 1969 for a sniper Rifle. I use it for long range hunting on Nilgai.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:36 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARrgv View Post
If you would like a long range, low drop, hard hitting rifle. I have a weatherby 30-378, using 180 gr. Barnes x factory loads. Only drawback is around $130 a box. Drop is 19.8 at 500 yards. Roy weatherby developed the rifle in 1969 for a sniper Rifle. I use it for long range hunting on Nilgai.
if i owned such a rifle, no way i would pay $130 a box for ammo! reload that rascal.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:06 AM   #38

Liked 314 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
That's unsportsmanlike. The rifle is a tool. The marksman is a MAN (or woman)

Check this one out.

Top Junior Shooter - M1 Garand CMP Match - YouTube
It's a class of competition. Bench rest. Sportman like, by your term, has nothing to do with it. They're racing if you will. Also, don't discount these guys, they know alot of sh!t that can apply to other disiplins of shooting especially when it comes to ammunition.

Last edited by mrm14; 10-10-2011 at 07:08 AM.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:13 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
It's a class of competition. Bench rest. Sportman like, by your term, has nothing to do with it. They're racing if you will. Also, don't discount these guys, they know alot of sh!t that can apply to other disiplins of shooting especially when it comes to ammunition.
true, most benchrest shooters spend more time on twenty rounds of ammo than most of spend reloading five hundred! they are in a class by themselves in the quest for accuracy. most of them have forgotten more about reloading than most of us will ever know.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:06 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
Quote:

Quote:
I wouldn't mind having one though. I just don't think I would be bragging about how good I could shoot with it. I would be bragging about how good my rifle could shoot.

Most of us aren't as accurate as our rifles are anyway.

Don't focus on just one post, that's the same as taking something out of context, and is unfair.

As you can see, I don't knock these "rail guns" or whatever. And if people want to compete with them in their own class, fine. Like I said, I wouldn't mind having one, and especially in this case, when you take human error out of it, then you KNOW what the machine can do. This can translate into a more accurate rifle all around.

Take one of these rifles out of it's mounting apparatus and mount it in a shoulder fired stocked formation, Holy Cow!! That will be one awesome rifle. (in a shoulder fired variant.)