Long range rifle. - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Long range rifle.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 06:33 PM   #21
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

mrm14, i just wish these people would define what they are calling long range. i mean what type of distance are you talking about? 300 yrds? 500 yrds? 1000 yrds? what are you shooting? targets? game animals? varmints? kind of like saying you want a car that goes fast. no detail or info leaves too broad an area. just my thoughts.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:10 PM   #22

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks for all the input guys. Did relize there was so much involved in the accual gun part. I know the long range has alot of variables. Well im looking to do this for fun and shoot targets. id probably start off at 200-300 yards but id like to get to 1000+ yards but that long down the road. Ive been shooting guns for about 13 years but thats all it was, shooting. I dont know much about the trigger reciver barel stock or bolt anything like that.

What makes the grass grow?

Old 10-09-2011, 07:31 PM   #23

Liked 311 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
mrm14, i just wish these people would define what they are calling long range. i mean what type of distance are you talking about? 300 yrds? 500 yrds? 1000 yrds? what are you shooting? targets? game animals? varmints? kind of like saying you want a car that goes fast. no detail or info leaves too broad an area. just my thoughts.
I shoot to 1000 yards +. Shooting paper and movers. I use 300 Win. Mag. which is down now as the barrel is shot out with just over 1100 rounds down the pipe. Just under 1 year of use. Normal barrel life for how I use the rifle. While I'm waiting on a new barrel to be made for the 300 Win. Mag. I've decided to have another 1000 + yard rifle built in 260 Rem. Ballistics between 300 Win. Mag. and 260 Rem. are similar and both calibers are good out to 1400+ yards. 260 Rem. barrel life should be around 3000 rounds. 260 ammunition will cost less.

308 Win. is good for practice because of long barrel life and many selections in 308 Win. componets. Factory traget grade ammuniton is plentiful and relitively inexpensive in 308 Win. Barrel life should be around 6000 rounds with 308 Win.

Long range shooting skills have a shelf life and much practice on a regular basis is required to keep these skills sharp. 308 Win is good for the learning phase of the long range endevor and good for practice. Saves the shorter lived barrel life, "hot rod" caliber rifles for actual matches.

053.jpg

web-1-.jpg

Last edited by mrm14; 10-09-2011 at 07:39 PM.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:37 PM   #24

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

You have a lot of learning to do... Fortunately, it is fun learning and not too hard.

You know how people say golf is relaxing? I find shooting and rifle cleaning to be more relaxing.

Visualize: Laying in the prone. Run through the check list. Legs 35-45 degrees apart. Toes, ankles, heels, flat to the ground. Ribcage on the ground. Straight line from rifle bore-body-length of dominant leg. Deep breaths, relax. Bipod set in well, elbows to the dirt. Human tripod formed by elbows and ribcage... Proper sight alignment, breath control, respiratory pause, gentle squeeze, boom!... hold trigger, keep cheek to stock, good follow through...

Repeat.

Relaxation? I've fallen asleep laid in behind a rifle more times than I can count.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:46 PM   #25

Liked 311 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
You have a lot of learning to do... Fortunately, it is fun learning and not too hard.

You know how people say golf is relaxing? I find shooting and rifle cleaning to be more relaxing.

Visualize: Laying in the prone. Run through the check list. Legs 35-45 degrees apart. Toes, ankles, heels, flat to the ground. Ribcage on the ground. Straight line from rifle bore-body-length of dominant leg. Deep breaths, relax. Bipod set in well, elbows to the dirt. Human tripod formed by elbows and ribcage... Proper sight alignment, breath control, respiratory pause, gentle squeeze, boom!... hold trigger, keep cheek to stock, good follow through...

Repeat.

Relaxation? I've fallen asleep laid in behind a rifle more times than I can count.
Not to mention unsupported prone, sitting, kneeling, standing, and weak hand, with and without biceps sling. Over parapet walls, through 1" holes, from elevated positions shooting downwards or positions shooting upwards and moving targets as well as traditiional steel. It goes on and on and is ultimately alot of fun.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:56 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
Not to mention unsupported prone, sitting, kneeling, standing, and weak hand, with and without biceps sling. Over parapet walls, through 1" holes, from elevated positions shooting downwards or positions shooting upwards and moving targets as well as traditiional steel. It goes on and on and is ultimately alot of fun.
There are so many different positions, scenarios and exercises to do on the range it's unreal.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:22 PM   #27

Liked 176 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 44

If you wannt shoot just to see how far you can hit stuff nothing beats the 22-250 or 243win-now if you actually want to hunt or something far out i'd step it up to 270win,7mm mag or even 300win mag.There's alot more choices but what I mentioned are more common and cheaper ammo.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 10-09-2011, 08:40 PM   #28

Liked 1739 Times on 898 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

Default L O N G range

I have a vague memory of seeing some photos of a contestant at an unlimited ‘rife’ match a long time ago. His ‘gun’ looked like a 4x6 square block of metal about a yard long with a hole in it. It had a number of items, sights & such, attached to it. I think it was bolted or clamped to the table. It wasn’t a rifle, it was a single shot machine. I don’t recall the ranges but I’m sure they were ridicules and the group must’ve been measured with a micrometer. I don’t believe he even looked through the sight / scope when he fired it. He sat on a stool next to it and pushed a button on a controller in his hand that had wires going to the machine in order to fire it (launch a bullet?).

It was something like this:

http://www.riflebarrels.com/images/expanded%20images/rail_gun.htm

You could go that way, maybe.

Last edited by Vincine; 10-09-2011 at 08:56 PM.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:04 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
I have a vague memory of seeing some photos of a contestant at an unlimited ‘rife’ match a long time ago. His ‘gun’ looked like a 4x6 square block of metal about a yard long with a hole in it. It had a number of items, sights & such, attached to it. I think it was bolted or clamped to the table. It wasn’t a rifle, it was a single shot machine. I don’t recall the ranges but I’m sure they were ridicules and the group must’ve been measured with a micrometer. I don’t believe he even looked through the sight / scope when he fired it. He sat on a stool next to it and pushed a button on a controller in his hand that had wires going to the machine in order to fire it (launch a bullet?).

It was something like this:

Lilja Precision Rifle Barrels

You could go that way, maybe.

That's unsportsmanlike. The rifle is a tool. The marksman is a MAN (or woman)

Check this one out.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:30 PM   #30

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

OK my take on long range. The PU 91/30 is a fine rifle out to 400, 500 yards. Its' light gathering leaves something to be desired w/ orginal uncoated optics. I have a post war late '50's '60's build on a 1942 rifle. Much better light gathering. I also have a M41b Swede w/ a 4x Ajack and a M98 low turret, both w/ original scopes that still do not compare in lower light w/ even a mid level modern scope.
My Howa HB in .308 w/ a Sightron SII 3-12x42mm, now the big sky will run rings around all of them. To put that rifle together today woukld be easily $1200.00.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.