Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Long range rifle.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 02:46 AM   #11
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19540 Times on 11091 Posts
Likes Given: 49188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
I would suggest you look at the Rem 700 in 7mm Rem Mag or a Barrett
chambered in .50 BMG.
if you find a Barrett 50 for $500, please let me know, as will buy about twenty of them!

Old 10-09-2011, 03:15 AM   #12

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
if you find a Barrett 50 for $500, please let me know, as will buy about twenty of them!
And I would whine and moan about how much I want it but can't afford it.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
And I would whine and moan about how much I want it but can't afford it.
trip, i have to give serious thought on putting my wife on a corner to come up with the money if i didn't have it to get my hands on Barrett's for $500! and i really love my wife!

Old 10-09-2011, 03:33 AM   #14

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
trip, i have to give serious thought on putting my wife on a corner to come up with the money if i didn't have it to get my hands on Barrett's for $500! and i really love my wife!
She would probably insist that I hit up the corner first!

Old 10-09-2011, 03:58 AM   #15

Liked 68 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 30

To spend less than $500 on a good long range shooter, you'll almost have to go to a USED rifle in the caliber you want with a good laminate or walnut/birch stock. Anything NEW for less than what you want to spend nowadays will generally come with a plastic stock, which for hunting and just plinking with maybe 10 rounds to see how well it groups on paper is fine. But to do some serious target shooting, you're gonna need a GOOD STOCK for stability and accuracy. Nothing wrong with most barrels/actions of even the least expensive rifles, but the "factory" plastic stocks as I say, just won't stand up to the accuracy that is needed for good, sustained, target shooting, but they are a start for a good, cheaper cost rifle. Also you'll need a good bull barrel on rifle to help with accuracy which generally adds another $150 dollars to cost of rifle. On top of this don't forget about a good light 1# or less trigger pull to also add to accuracy and a "good" scope which will cost probably no less than $300 to get started. Just some food for thought. As to rifles, there's Savage Axis, Stevens 200, Weatherby Vanguard, Mossberg ATR, "older" Marlin XL7 and a few others. Not all these makes can be got with a bull barrel from factory. As to calibers, there's 243, 7mm, 22-250, 308, 25-06, 30-06 for the cheaper rounds, and for a few of these rounds, you also have the option of going for lots more punch over factory loads, but just remember that with more bullet power/speed, also comes more barrel wear over the stock factory ammo, which in turn will probably make you want to seek out more costly barrels or barrel tempering, cryo-freezing, different barrel rifling twists just to name a few. Good Luck
Del

Old 10-09-2011, 08:31 AM   #16

triumphman, you need to check out the Marlin X7 series of rifles, these are not cheap "factory" plastic stocks as you put it, neither are the Remington SPS stocks. they are pillar bedded from the factory and are very capable of very good accuracy. i have three Marlin X7's, 25-06, 7mm-08 and a heavy barrel 308, all are very accurate rifles. a person needs to define "long range" accuracy and decide whether shooting paper or hunting. my idea of long range hunting is 400 yards or less, shooting targets, 400+ yards. now i dont think for one minute that you will have a rifle of extreme long range shooting for $500 or less, new or used, regardless of type of stock material, action or barrel. $500 just doesn't get you there IMO! i am at this time, building a long range target rifle. i started with a brand new, bare Remington M700 receiver, bought a heavy recoil lug, will be barreled with a 26" fluted heavy barrel chambered in 6.5mm-06 with a muzzle brake. lots of custom action work done to it. i will have about $3000 just in the rifle and another $1500 in the scope, just to shoot targets. long range accuracy isn't cheap!

Old 10-09-2011, 12:37 PM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If $500 is your budget look for a Savage 110 or maybe the stainless version, the Model 116. I bought my Savage 116 in 7mm Rem. Mag. for around $400 used and it is probably the most accurate long range rifle I have. The Savages come in all the popular calibers.

I've dressed mine up for looks, but even with the factory black tupperware stock it was deadly accurate. The scope is a factory installed option that came with the rifle.

7mm_savage16a.jpg  

Last edited by Snakedriver; 10-09-2011 at 12:39 PM.

Old 10-09-2011, 02:13 PM   #18

Liked 68 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Thanks Axxe55 for pointing my ways of a plastic stock. It was the way I had it worded and NOT to be downgrading some plastic(synthetic) stocks. I know Manufacturers have a set pricing on their guns, with some of that pricing going into a stock. A simple Mossberg ATR, while the rifle's action is very good, the plastic stock has a lot to overcome to be a so-called quality stock. The Mossberg 4x4, while being same action with it's laminate stock is more costly and superior in every way from Factory. Then there's the Remington SPS that was built with quality from the start while using a synthetic stock, but you're also paying $700 more for it with $350 just in stock while the synthetic stock for a simple Mossberg costs around $90 from the Factory. Big difference for accuracy. Same for Savage or Marlin, you're paying the costs difference on getting a better/quality stock that these rifles put into their ADs and real life reviews, for how accurate they are, be they plastic, laminate or hardwood stocks. Not saying the actions are inferior in any way, as they are not. Also most plastic stocks are built by Bell & Carlson for these Manufacturers and they make different stocks for a price range and that person pays the price for getting the accuracy they want. Good luck with your rifle build, sounds like a lot of time and thought is going into it for a quality shot. I too have built a couple rifles, but on a smaller scale of 22LR, and 22Magnums, and it does cost for accuracy.
Del

Old 10-09-2011, 03:40 PM   #19

triumphman, the synthetic stocks of today are way superior to use to be available from the factory. use to if you wanted a good synthetic stock, you spent 250-400 dollars and bought an aftermarket stock. IMO, the only improvement over a lot of the factory stocks now is to spend at least twice that to see an edge in accuracy. most of the improvement is either better ergonomics, or looks. most of the factory synthetics will probably gain some accuracy with a simple glass bedding job. both of the stocks i have narrowed it down to for my rifle (H-S Precision and McMillen) cost $600-750 for what i want. but as said before, this rifle will be about $3000, and this will be custom build.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:22 PM   #20

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I'd go with the Remington 700 in .308 Win. caliber for starters. More selection of aftermarket products for the Remington 700 than any other brand out there now. Theres good selection of affordable factory target grade ammunition available in this caliber. Critical if you don't reload. Barrel life is good in 308 Win. compaired to some other calibers. Also when it comes to the glass I say "Buy once---Cry once." Meaning spend a little more money for a good scope especially if your going to be getting into long range shooting.

Last edited by mrm14; 10-09-2011 at 05:24 PM.