Long range rifle. - Page 10
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Long range rifle.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2011, 01:00 AM   #91
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21217 Times on 12048 Posts
Likes Given: 52963

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
It's called Microslick or Ion bond and I believe heat is involved. I don't know much about it but am going to try it. Supposedly it originally was used to extend the life of oil drill bits and is also known as Diamond Black coating. A reciever that was done that way seemed alot smoother to use. It is a process that one has to be certified for. Todd, who owns Phantom Finishing, is going to do it. He also is going to Ceracoat my barrel and exterior of the reciever along with some other exterior parts. I don't think he's doing it in house yet (could be wrong about this) but does send parts out to have Micro Slick or Ion bond done. The prices for this coating treatment is under his prices and under there ion bond box that you can click on to get prioces for various gun parts. Call him and ask him about it. He can tell you quite a bit about it much better than I can. Heres his web site.

cerakote, Phantom Finishing Concord, CA Home
thanks mrm14, i will check into it and might be something to consider on my new rifle. does it help with resisting corrosion too?

Old 11-06-2011, 01:19 AM   #92
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 303 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
thanks mrm14, i will check into it and might be something to consider on my new rifle. does it help with resisting corrosion too?
Yeah the Ceracoat has a pretty high corrsion resistance and so does the Ion Bond. Both are really industrial coatings. Much higher corrosion resistance than a blued, stainless, or otherwise painted gun. Melonite is supposed to have a even higher corrosion resistance than the first two I mentioned, but is also hardens the surface of the metal to about an equilivant of Rockwell hardness of 80. The hardness is only a few microns thick. Only problem I have with Meloniting is that the gun part is raised to a temperature of around 980 degrees fahrenheit for about an half an hour. May harden the outside but may soften the inside of the steel. Just don't know. Only good for chromoly and with a bit of a different process stainless steel. Kind of a new process for gun parts and I've decided to wait before I try it. It's also an industrial coating. It might be good though.

Last edited by mrm14; 11-06-2011 at 01:22 AM.