Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Long range rifle. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/long-range-rifle-49511/)

Ryadew3468 10-08-2011 09:41 PM

Long range rifle.
 
Hey guys, my names ryan. Im new to this fourm. im lookinf to get a rifle that i cant shoot long distance with and i wasnt sure which rifle would be a good beginer to start with. Ive recently been looking at a mosin naguant, read a few fourms that say it has recorded 1200 yards with the right person and set up. But ive also looked at the remington 700 in .308. And the calabers .338 winchester and .300 super mag but i dont know about the rifles in those calabers. So, i dk like to see if anyone has some advice or sudjestions for me. Thanks everyone.
-Ryan

HOSSFLY 10-08-2011 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryadew3468 (Post 596720)
Hey guys, my names ryan. Im new to this fourm. im lookinf to get a rifle that i cant shoot long distance with and i wasnt sure which rifle would be a good beginer to start with. Ive recently been looking at a mosin naguant, read a few fourms that say it has recorded 1200 yards with the right person and set up. But ive also looked at the remington 700 in .308. And the calabers .338 winchester and .300 super mag but i dont know about the rifles in those calabers. So, i dk like to see if anyone has some advice or sudjestions for me. Thanks everyone.
-Ryan

Well, first off if you want to shoot over 100 yds forget the Nagant-
The 1200 yd stuff is just that- STUFF :eek:
Need to be more clear on what you want & what you feel you can really handle-
My personal favorite is the 308 - But I seldom shoot past 300 yds-

Snakedriver 10-08-2011 11:36 PM

For longer range .308 Winchester and .30-06 are good calibers because of the wide availability of ammunition including surplus ammo. That said, my long range choice is 7mm Rem. Mag. because I like the flat trajectory and wide range of bullet choices. :cool:

trip286 10-09-2011 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOSSFLY (Post 596746)
Well, first off if you want to shoot over 100 yds forget the Nagant-
The 1200 yd stuff is just that- STUFF :eek:
Need to be more clear on what you want & what you feel you can really handle-
My personal favorite is the 308 - But I seldom shoot past 300 yds-

A new (meaning if you lived and fought with it in the 40's) MN sniper was capable and has been recorded of making 1000+yard headshots.
Is a brand new shooter going to do this even with a great condition brand new MN sniper rifle? Not a chance, except for maybe luck. It won't happen twice in a row I can promise that.

Ryan, most good hunting rifles will get you on paper at about 700 yards with some practice. I'd say get a good .223 or .308 and practice your butt off at about 200-300 yards.

Work your way up after that in range and equipment. At Parris Island they threw us straight on the range shooting 2,3, and 500 yards. It wasn't so bad, at least we had dry fire training, but it would have been better if we were there for about 2 weeks instead of just the one, and had been able to burn much more ammo.

Weatherby Vanguard in .308 is pretty cheap if your on a budget, and is supposed to be pretty accurate, but I know nothing first hand about this rifle. You could also look at Savage, they are highly recommended by a lot of people.

Unfortunately there is no magic hollywood gun that always hits what you aim at and never runs out of bullets. :(

JonM 10-09-2011 12:50 AM

the main thing that holds mosins back are the pu scope. its very very very difficult to master. however there are decent no smith mounting systems that will let you attach any modern scope to a mosin.

the second factor is poor quality ammo for long range shooting. to get the most out of the 7.62x54r you need to handload for it. doing that kinda removes some of the cost factor from the cartridge. the 7.62x54r is one of the very rare exceptions to the rule its cheaper to make your own. reloadable brass for that cartridge is NOT cheap.

once you get the mount get the dies and brass buy the bullets to load with your easily hitting the cost of one of the middle of the road savages in a easier to obtain quality ammo cartridge...

yes mosins are very very good rifles but they are not precision cartridges. they can reach out and be effective at very long distance

hkusp45 10-09-2011 01:56 AM

If you want a 1000 yard gun then glass is more important than the rifle in my opinion. I use a DPMS SASS in .308 for long distance but it's not cheap. I have a upgraded Mosin with good glass on it and it's a consistent deer killer at 300 yards and under but not good enough in my opinion for much further than that.

Axxe55 10-09-2011 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryadew3468 (Post 596720)
Hey guys, my names ryan. Im new to this fourm. im lookinf to get a rifle that i cant shoot long distance with and i wasnt sure which rifle would be a good beginer to start with. Ive recently been looking at a mosin naguant, read a few fourms that say it has recorded 1200 yards with the right person and set up. But ive also looked at the remington 700 in .308. And the calabers .338 winchester and .300 super mag but i dont know about the rifles in those calabers. So, i dk like to see if anyone has some advice or sudjestions for me. Thanks everyone.
-Ryan

this is something that is asked a lot. what are you considering long range shooting? are you going to shoot paper targets or hunt? because there is a huge difference. a miss at 500+ yards on a paper target is just a miss, no big deal. a miss at same distance an a game animal, could wound it, making it IMO, for an unethical hunter. target shooting and hunting are two different types of shooting. most people build rifles for one or the other, but a target rifle could be used for hunting, and vice versa. also what level is your shooting skill? this would be a factor in choosing a caliber and rifle. shooting paper targets at extreme ranges requires a purpose built rifle cabable of long range accuracy, handloading ammo and lots and lots of shooting and skill.

Ryadew3468 10-09-2011 02:25 AM

Thanks alot guys. I know the MN is a cheap gun and optics is important. And i dont expect to make any 1000 shots right away. Just looking for a good beginner gun to start off. Maybe 400-600 yards to start. Im also on kind of a budget. Not looking to spend 500 bucks or more on the gun.

Axxe55 10-09-2011 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryadew3468 (Post 596933)
Thanks alot guys. I know the MN is a cheap gun and optics is important. And i dont expect to make any 1000 shots right away. Just looking for a good beginner gun to start off. Maybe 400-600 yards to start. Im also on kind of a budget. Not looking to spend 500 bucks or more on the gun.

ryan, check out the Marlin X7 series of rifles and the Savage Axis series of rifles. both are good, inexpensive, accurate rifles to start off with. put a good quality scope n the rifle, and give some thought to reloading, because this is where you can pick up a lot of accuracy from the rifle. check out gun stores and pawn shops for a used Remington M700 or a Winchester M70 if on a budget. good luck.

Shade 10-09-2011 02:41 AM

I would suggest you look at the Rem 700 in 7mm Rem Mag or a Barrett
chambered in .50 BMG.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:55 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.