Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > long range recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2013, 10:17 PM   #11
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19475 Times on 11063 Posts
Likes Given: 49082

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalsh66 View Post
Just for competition I will be shooting factory loads for awhile. I would ideally like to hand load in the near future but not at this point.
i am thinking with the distance listed, that something like a 308 or a 30-06 would work quite well. lots of good factory match ammo in those two cartridges. at some point, you might want to consider reloading though.

IMO, the rifle is not near a factor as the scope is. a good scope isn't cheap. probably much better to cheap out on the rifle than the scope. and picking up a decent rifle shouldn't be too hard. start checking out the pawn shops and gun stores for used rifles. something to consider with many of the factory synthetic stocks is that many of them are cheap and crap. but you can upgrade the stock very easily. lots of choices out there.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:36 PM   #12

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post

i am thinking with the distance listed, that something like a 308 or a 30-06 would work quite well. lots of good factory match ammo in those two cartridges. at some point, you might want to consider reloading though.

IMO, the rifle is not near a factor as the scope is. a good scope isn't cheap. probably much better to cheap out on the rifle than the scope. and picking up a decent rifle shouldn't be too hard. start checking out the pawn shops and gun stores for used rifles. something to consider with many of the factory synthetic stocks is that many of them are cheap and crap. but you can upgrade the stock very easily. lots of choices out there.
The more I have been reading today I was almost thinking of going with a mossberg model 100 or to be honest I heard someone mention a surplus swiss k31. I did some reading on them and they seem to accurate as any gun out to 1000 yards. I'm not sure though it does seem appealing to spend $350-$500 on a gun and hang with some of the big boys. Obviously then I would have a lot more to spend on a good optic. I also read about a guy who has a tikka t3 and is shooting 1/20 moa with it bone stock. Has anyone heard good or bad on these or owns one? Please let me know if I'm on the right track or have fallen off the deep end. Thanks

Last edited by jwalsh66; 10-12-2013 at 11:40 PM.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:54 PM   #13

Quote:
The more I have been reading today I was almost thinking of going with a mossberg model 100 or to be honest I heard someone mention a surplus swiss k31. I did some reading on them and they seem to accurate as any gun out to 1000 yards. I'm not sure though it does seem appealing to spend $350-$500 on a gun and hang with some of the big boys. Obviously then I would have a lot more to spend on a good optic. I also read about a guy who has a tikka t3 and is shooting 1/20 moa with it bone stock. Has anyone heard good or bad on these or owns one? Please let me know if I'm on the right track or have fallen off the deep end. Thanks
i had a Mossberg ATR100 in 30-06. fact is, it was one of the hardest kicking 30-06 rifles i ever owned, but that rifle was very, scary accurate with handloads i worked up for it. now maybe going with the ATR100 in 308 instead, going with a better stock, that would absorb more of the felt recoil and putting good recoil pad on it, a bipod and a very nie high quality scope, i think you would be in the ballpark for starting out.

i have seen used ATR100's in the $250-350 range. a good set of bases and rings. a Boyd's laminated stock and maybe a Vortex or Sightron scope and some quality match grade ammo.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:21 AM   #14
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1078 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Quote:
Good morning guys and gals. I'm looking for a little help on this one and figured somwone here could help. I'm looking to get into some of the long range competitions at my local gun club and nothing I have currently has that long of reach. I think the longest shot they take is up to about 750 yards. I'm looking for something that isn't going to break the bank but still be as accurate as possible. My budget is $1000 $1200 including ammo. I know that isn't much considering optics are expensive but I figured if anyone would have any ideas it would be someone here. Thanks for your help.
First,You should find out what kind of rules that the gun club has,and see what calibers they allow to compete with in each class.
It wouldn't do any good to go out and buy a weapon,and then be told you can't compete because it doesn't meet the requirements. I shoot at one club that is pretty strict,if the rifle isn't factory stock,you must shoot in the open class,and those guy's spend a whole lot of money on their rigs.

I'd suggest after finding out the rules,to look for a nice used heavy barreled rifle in whatever caliber's they allow,and there are many that will shoot 750 yards accurately. There are plenty of good used rifles that can be had for $350-500,and then buy as much of a quality optic as you can. I'm partial to Sightron SIII scopes,but Vortex Viper PST,Weaver Tactical,SWFA Super Sniper,and some others are great entry level long range scopes. Make sure that you get a scope that has matching turret/reticle adjustments - either MOA/MOA or MIL/MIL. I prefer MOA adjustments,I can figure 1/4" fractions of an inch better/faster than 1/10" of an inch with MIL adjustments.
You could also get a fixed magnification scope to begin with,and save some money while getting a quality scope that adjusts and tracks great. A 10x fixed scope will be a good start.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-13-2013, 12:48 AM   #15

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Ok so I called in a favor to a buddy that sits on the board at the club and he emailed me a copy of the rules. There are two classes. Stock and unlimited. I'm guessing ill start with stock. Major rules are only calibers that can be used are .270 .308 300 win mag and .30-06. Basicly what i would consider a deer rifle. Action and barrel has to remain stock but can change the stock can be changed. The scope can be a maximum of 12x. I'm not sure why a limit on the scope but those are the rules. Now if anyone can make a more accurate recommendation off of that I would appreciate it. The sules don't seem very stringent.

Old 10-13-2013, 03:17 AM   #16

Quote:
Ok so I called in a favor to a buddy that sits on the board at the club and he emailed me a copy of the rules. There are two classes. Stock and unlimited. I'm guessing ill start with stock. Major rules are only calibers that can be used are .270 .308 300 win mag and .30-06. Basicly what i would consider a deer rifle. Action and barrel has to remain stock but can change the stock can be changed. The scope can be a maximum of 12x. I'm not sure why a limit on the scope but those are the rules. Now if anyone can make a more accurate recommendation off of that I would appreciate it. The sules don't seem very stringent.
okay based on what TXhillbilly said about the rules, and i agree, these are just a suggestion on what they are saying. i would tend to stick with either the 30-06 or the 308 simply because you don't reload, and either of these will give you much better choices as far as factory ammo. the 270 would be somewhat limited in factory ammo, and the 300 W.M. would be expensive and the recoil would be very punishing in a stock rig. look for a rifle in the 30-06 or 308 calibers as they will also be readily available most anywhere, new or used. going with either a Remington M700 or a Savage rifle will give you more choices for an aftermarket stock to fit you better. then start looking at scopes in the price range you set.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:50 PM   #17
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1078 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Like Axxe said,A Remington 700 or Savage 10/110 will offer you the best selection of aftermarket accessories for your rifle. If you buy a factory Savage 10FP or a Remington SPS,you will probably want to put a better stock on them.
You'll be lucky if you could ever find a factory rifle in 270 or 30/06 with a heavy barrel anymore,but 308's and 300 WM's are easy to find. I'd stick with a 308 to start out on,you can find plenty of match grade factory ammo for them,and the difference in recoil will be a big plus in your favor.
The Howa 1500 rifle is another to look at.You can get it with a heavy barrel,and there are also aftermarket stocks available for them. The Howa is a very accurate rifle also.
Don't pass up on a good used rifle if you can find one,I've bought several Savage 10/110/and 12 heavy barreled rifles used in excellent condition for under $400. Check out local gun shows,pawn shops,or look on Gun Broker or other online auctions. You can find some great deals if you look hard enough. Buying quality used optics is also a great way to save big money. I've bought several high end scopes used for less than half of what they sold for new,and they are all in great condition.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Axxe55 Likes This