Long range help
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Long range help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2011, 08:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Long range help

hey everyone. i tried posting this in another thread but it done died out with no response. i need y'alls help in buying the right long range rifle. now that is such an open ended question im sure it has been discussed and answered a hell to many times. so i got some controls to this experiment.

i orginally wanted a DPMS AR-10 .308. good reviews, NRA rifle of the year, but i seen some people talk crap about it on here. i wouldnt know i never got the chance to handle one. heard something about an FNAR? dont know, never even seen one before. sounds like something i yell when i sneeze.

So since thats apparently not the right rifle i would most graciously appreciate from my fellow awesome FTF members to tell me what would be the best long range, semi automatic, magazine fed, larger than .223/5.56, rifle. and by long range im talking 1000 yds with enough energy to...do its job. ill leave it at that.

If Sam Colt made men equal, then John Moses Browning made some men better than others.

Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-31-2011, 08:18 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Have you thought about the Dragunov SVD or an M1A?

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 07-31-2011, 08:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firearms4ever View Post
Have you thought about the Dragunov SVD or an M1A?
...a dragon, really? i just thought they were oversized AK's. able to do maybe 700 at best since the AK's only good for 200.

M1A's not bad. expensive as all balls, but good. but ive heard more problems about them too. you have to have near perfect ammo or the gun will screw the hell up. the firing pin/mechanism likes to throw sh*t fits. harder than it needs to be to field strip, etc.

If Sam Colt made men equal, then John Moses Browning made some men better than others.

Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."

Old 07-31-2011, 08:35 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1262 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 534

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcprofessional View Post
i orginally wanted a DPMS AR-10 .308. good reviews, NRA rifle of the year, but i seen some people talk crap about it on here. i wouldnt know i never got the chance to handle one. heard something about an FNAR? dont know, never even seen one before. sounds like something i yell when i sneeze.
DPMS is still in business because they make guns that work. Are there better guns available, I suppose so. My first AR is a DPMS, it has yet to do anything to result in any dissatisfaction.

Check out Rock River Arms website, they manufacture ARs in .308.

If I found a DPMS .308 at an acceptable price, I would buy it and enjoy it. There just aren't that many 308 options out there, compared to gobs of AR 15 brands.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:38 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Dragunov's can achieve ranges up to about 1,000 meters and basically are oversized AK's, and the ammunition is dirt cheap for it too. The M1A is expensive, but I thought it was worth throwing it's name in. Maybe a Remington R-25 or a Browning BAR (the new one).

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 07-31-2011, 08:43 PM   #6

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

How about a 6.5mm Grendel? It's a 1200 yard round.

Alexander Arms: 6.5 Grendel®

6.5mm Grendel Ballistics

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-31-2011, 09:57 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

For 1000 yards I wouldn't go with a .308, a 300 win mag or 338 Lapua would be much better suited for the task. You can get a complete upper in 338 lapua that will fit an a standard ar lower, but I believe its only singleshot, but if your alright with a bolt gun then I would get a remington 700 target model in 300 win mag, but that's just me

Old 07-31-2011, 10:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake15 View Post
For 1000 yards I wouldn't go with a .308, a 300 win mag or 338 Lapua would be much better suited for the task. You can get a complete upper in 338 lapua that will fit an a standard ar lower, but I believe its only singleshot, but if your alright with a bolt gun then I would get a remington 700 target model in 300 win mag, but that's just me
no rifle or weapon i own is for hunting animals, at all, and i will never buy a hunting rifle. there for im not looking for a rifle to hunt animals. im looking for good enough accuracy for suppression purposes so it cant be a bolt gun. yea i know lee harvey and charles whitman blah blah thats great im lazy and im cutting out extra movement. and my idea for a great .308 semi seems to be summed up somewhere between horsesh*t and potmetal.

i dont mind getting some strange AR calibur, but i need to know the company and if they are good. further more im not spending 5k on some custom special AR job, thats retarded. if i was going to spend 5k on a long gun id just screw it all and get a barrett, but id rather keep my rounds in this zip code.

dont know about Alexander Arms. but the 6.5 sounds like the best of both the 5.56 and 7.62, or so ive heard. good priced too. i was thinking about experimenting with a beowolf for CQB purposes.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:22 PM   #9

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have to ask about application. Are you thinking about punching accurate holes in paper at 1000 yards or looking for a long range SUR. If the latter, I recommend either the DPMS AR-10 platform or the Springfield M1A. The .308 round is and will be readily available and both rifles are capable.

If you are looking for a modern era "Quiggly", the AR platform bolt guns like this one

tactilite_t1_____4c4d0ed1ea49c.jpg

are available from various manufacturers in .338 Lapua and .408 CheyTec, but bring plenty of money!!

People get the government they deserve.

Last edited by dunerunner; 07-31-2011 at 11:07 PM. Reason: smaller pic

Old 07-31-2011, 10:37 PM   #10

thank you for the help brother, but again. if its above 3k, its damn pointless. might as well get the semi barrett. and you are the first person to recommend the DPMS, while everyone else rather throw it in a creek.

yes i will be using it against paper, but thats not its final use. im a former Marine, theres one thing i buy a gun for. and the one you pictured, although nice, its still a boltgun.

maybe i should put this as a sig "usmcprofessional + boltgun = pointlessness"