Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Long range help (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/long-range-help-46054/)

usmcprofessional 07-31-2011 07:10 PM

Long range help

hey everyone. i tried posting this in another thread but it done died out with no response. i need y'alls help in buying the right long range rifle. now that is such an open ended question im sure it has been discussed and answered a hell to many times. so i got some controls to this experiment.

i orginally wanted a DPMS AR-10 .308. good reviews, NRA rifle of the year, but i seen some people talk crap about it on here. i wouldnt know i never got the chance to handle one. heard something about an FNAR? dont know, never even seen one before. sounds like something i yell when i sneeze.

So since thats apparently not the right rifle i would most graciously appreciate from my fellow awesome FTF members to tell me what would be the best long range, semi automatic, magazine fed, larger than .223/5.56, rifle. and by long range im talking 1000 yds with enough energy to...do its job. ill leave it at that.

Firearms4ever 07-31-2011 07:18 PM

Have you thought about the Dragunov SVD or an M1A?

usmcprofessional 07-31-2011 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firearms4ever (Post 553529)
Have you thought about the Dragunov SVD or an M1A?

...a dragon, really? i just thought they were oversized AK's. able to do maybe 700 at best since the AK's only good for 200.

M1A's not bad. expensive as all balls, but good. but ive heard more problems about them too. you have to have near perfect ammo or the gun will screw the hell up. the firing pin/mechanism likes to throw sh*t fits. harder than it needs to be to field strip, etc.

Gatoragn 07-31-2011 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usmcprofessional (Post 553522)
i orginally wanted a DPMS AR-10 .308. good reviews, NRA rifle of the year, but i seen some people talk crap about it on here. i wouldnt know i never got the chance to handle one. heard something about an FNAR? dont know, never even seen one before. sounds like something i yell when i sneeze.

DPMS is still in business because they make guns that work. Are there better guns available, I suppose so. My first AR is a DPMS, it has yet to do anything to result in any dissatisfaction.

Check out Rock River Arms website, they manufacture ARs in .308.

If I found a DPMS .308 at an acceptable price, I would buy it and enjoy it. There just aren't that many 308 options out there, compared to gobs of AR 15 brands.

Firearms4ever 07-31-2011 07:38 PM

Dragunov's can achieve ranges up to about 1,000 meters and basically are oversized AK's, and the ammunition is dirt cheap for it too. The M1A is expensive, but I thought it was worth throwing it's name in. Maybe a Remington R-25 or a Browning BAR (the new one).

canebrake 07-31-2011 07:43 PM

How about a 6.5mm Grendel? It's a 1200 yard round.

Alexander Arms: 6.5 Grendel®

6.5mm Grendel Ballistics

Jake15 07-31-2011 08:57 PM

For 1000 yards I wouldn't go with a .308, a 300 win mag or 338 Lapua would be much better suited for the task. You can get a complete upper in 338 lapua that will fit an a standard ar lower, but I believe its only singleshot, but if your alright with a bolt gun then I would get a remington 700 target model in 300 win mag, but that's just me

usmcprofessional 07-31-2011 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake15 (Post 553584)
For 1000 yards I wouldn't go with a .308, a 300 win mag or 338 Lapua would be much better suited for the task. You can get a complete upper in 338 lapua that will fit an a standard ar lower, but I believe its only singleshot, but if your alright with a bolt gun then I would get a remington 700 target model in 300 win mag, but that's just me

no rifle or weapon i own is for hunting animals, at all, and i will never buy a hunting rifle. there for im not looking for a rifle to hunt animals. im looking for good enough accuracy for suppression purposes so it cant be a bolt gun. yea i know lee harvey and charles whitman blah blah thats great im lazy and im cutting out extra movement. and my idea for a great .308 semi seems to be summed up somewhere between horsesh*t and potmetal.

i dont mind getting some strange AR calibur, but i need to know the company and if they are good. further more im not spending 5k on some custom special AR job, thats retarded. if i was going to spend 5k on a long gun id just screw it all and get a barrett, but id rather keep my rounds in this zip code.

dont know about Alexander Arms. but the 6.5 sounds like the best of both the 5.56 and 7.62, or so ive heard. good priced too. i was thinking about experimenting with a beowolf for CQB purposes.

dunerunner 07-31-2011 09:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have to ask about application. Are you thinking about punching accurate holes in paper at 1000 yards or looking for a long range SUR. If the latter, I recommend either the DPMS AR-10 platform or the Springfield M1A. The .308 round is and will be readily available and both rifles are capable.

If you are looking for a modern era "Quiggly", the AR platform bolt guns like this one

Attachment 31325

http://www.firearmstalk.com/gallery/...d0ed1ea49c.jpg

are available from various manufacturers in .338 Lapua and .408 CheyTec, but bring plenty of money!!

usmcprofessional 07-31-2011 09:37 PM

thank you for the help brother, but again. if its above 3k, its damn pointless. might as well get the semi barrett. and you are the first person to recommend the DPMS, while everyone else rather throw it in a creek.

yes i will be using it against paper, but thats not its final use. im a former Marine, theres one thing i buy a gun for. and the one you pictured, although nice, its still a boltgun.

maybe i should put this as a sig "usmcprofessional + boltgun = pointlessness"