Long range caliber.. - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Long range caliber..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2012, 02:06 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 330 Times on 221 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I get around 1100 or so rounds out of the 300 WM rifle before it's done. My friend gets about 800 rounds out of his 243 Win. before its done. 308 Win. gets about 6000 rounds out of the barrel before it's done. 260 Rem. gets about 3500 rounds out of the barrel before it's done. These are my observations and experiences. Barrels are relitively cheap to replace and are expendable.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:29 AM   #22
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

mrm14 has brought up some valid information here in regard to barrel expectancy, and something you have to factor in if you are going to get into long range shooting. another point is there is barrel erosion that occurs in shooting. the barrel on most hunting rifles is the same calibers is no different than that of a target rifle in that they both will erode in the same manner and pretty much the same as in caliber or cartridge. the fact is most hunting rifles won't ever see the amount of shooting a target rifle will. if if you factor in, say about 3000 rounds down the barrel for a given caliber is it's barrel life, then on a hunting rifle, this could equated to many, many years of shooting. on a target rifle this could equate to one or two years of shooting. so if you are going to start this endeavor, barrels become an expendable item and will have to be replaced if you shoot a lot. shooting a lot is the only way to achieve any level of profficiency in long range target shooting.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:06 AM   #23

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
mrm14 has brought up some valid information here in regard to barrel expectancy, and something you have to factor in if you are going to get into long range shooting. another point is there is barrel erosion that occurs in shooting. the barrel on most hunting rifles is the same calibers is no different than that of a target rifle in that they both will erode in the same manner and pretty much the same as in caliber or cartridge. the fact is most hunting rifles won't ever see the amount of shooting a target rifle will. if if you factor in, say about 3000 rounds down the barrel for a given caliber is it's barrel life, then on a hunting rifle, this could equated to many, many years of shooting. on a target rifle this could equate to one or two years of shooting. so if you are going to start this endeavor, barrels become an expendable item and will have to be replaced if you shoot a lot. shooting a lot is the only way to achieve any level of profficiency in long range target shooting.
So in other words, barrel life is not that important. Gotcha. So what are the downfalls of the 308? and I think that recoil wont affect me that much. I used to shoot skeet all day. it cant be any worse than 200-300 rounds of 12 guage

Old 04-01-2012, 05:57 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 283 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 127

The 6.5 Creedmoor was created because people wanted to reach out to 1,000 yds but didn't want the recoil of a 308. They can even do it in a short action. (stiffer) Hornady & Ruger have made some great innovations.

But if you are recoil proof, the 338 Lapua is admired by snipers but they don't have to pay for their ammo. Even the 338 Win Mag is a big step up in cost - yet, it can also hunt or protect you from anything in North America which is a side benefit.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:38 PM   #25
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryadew3468 View Post
So in other words, barrel life is not that important. Gotcha. So what are the downfalls of the 308? and I think that recoil wont affect me that much. I used to shoot skeet all day. it cant be any worse than 200-300 rounds of 12 guage
a lot of it has to do with bullet coeffiency and ballistics. then you have to consider the amount of powder needed to push a particular bullet at the speed it needs to get to the intended target. now here is where i see a difference, as the 308 has been used and is still used in target shooting at long ranges, just as it has been used as sniper caliber. energy at a long distance will be needed to kill something, where as a target rifle, all you have to do is have enough energy to poke a hole in paper. so a bullet that is smaller in diameter and that is of a higher BC, and moving faster, in theory will have less drop at the same range as one that is bigger, less BC and moving slower. now the larger caliber will have more knockdown power, or energy, but for a target rifle, this isn't important IMO. i am no ballistics expert, i do understand the reasonings and the theories, but hopefully someone else will offer to explain it better than i can.

after many years of researching for my custom build, i decided to go with a 6.5mm-06 A-Square built on a Remington M700 action. it is still a work in process and still needs many details ironed out. if you decide to go with a custom build, it does take time and money and lots of patience. just when you have one thing figured out, up comes something else to consider. it's really hard when you don't have Donald Trumps checkbook!

Old 04-01-2012, 03:59 PM   #26

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Considering im one of the three that won the mega millions i have donald trumps check book. April fools, but im trying to, stay under 1200 or the old lady wont be to happy. I think starting out im going to buy a complete rifle. probably in the 6.5 creedmore. Im sure ill used the rifle for hunting as well but not for the ranges we are talking about now. Seems to me that could end up being very unethical.

What makes the grass grow?

Old 04-02-2012, 12:29 AM   #27

Quote:
A 308 Win. caliber rifle is a good starter/trainer as it has a long barrel life and is a bit more difficult caliber to use for long range shooting than other calibers. Makes you get kind of good at it. I would start with a inexpensive new or used Remington 700 5R in 308 Win. Get with a long range shooting club near where you live, ask them questions, get a couple or so long range clinics under your belt, practice, practice, practice, go to shoot practice sessions, practice, practice, pratice, shoot some matches, learn about equipment and kit from your long range shooting club mates, and have alot of fun. Oh, did I mention you most likely will get addicted to thes shooting sport and it will be a spendy addiction.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:40 AM   #28

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14

A 308 Win. caliber rifle is a good starter/trainer as it has a long barrel life and is a bit more difficult caliber to use for long range shooting than other calibers. Makes you get kind of good at it. I would start with a inexpensive new or used Remington 700 5R in 308 Win. Get with a long range shooting club near where you live, ask them questions, get a couple or so long range clinics under your belt, practice, practice, practice, go to shoot practice sessions, practice, practice, pratice, shoot some matches, learn about equipment and kit from your long range shooting club mates, and have alot of fun. Oh, did I mention you most likely will get addicted to thes shooting sport and it will be a spendy addiction.
Im going to have to look online for a long range club. I kniws the closest long distence range is about 90 minutes out....:-( where would a good place to look for a used 700.

What makes the grass grow?

Old 04-02-2012, 03:21 AM   #29

Quote:
Im going to have to look online for a long range club. I kniws the closest long distence range is about 90 minutes out....:-( where would a good place to look for a used 700.
You know, if you find a club there will probably be a few people in that club that have a Rem. 700, 308 Win. for sale used or be able to turn you on to someone who does and the rifle will already be somewhat set up. Your budget is kind of lean but save for a bit and you can do it.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:48 PM   #30

Liked 281 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Look at the C2 shooting center in virginia beach.