Long range 7mm Rem Mag or 338 Win mag - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Long range 7mm Rem Mag or 338 Win mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2011, 11:02 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Muliemaster, im really interested in CA, does the graphite barrels seem to heat up, for ex. im a big shooting range guy, try to go often and spend about couple hours there. Would it heat up the barrel and lead to inaccuracy if i take some continuous shots? I've heard the carbon barrels help the barrel not get hot? i am unsure about the barrels. Thank you!
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" - Thomas Jefferson

Old 11-12-2011, 11:17 AM   #22

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94browninghunt
@97 Cobra, hahaha yea i'll put it on youtube once i find it , it also has the looks my dad and grandpa give me.
Hahaha nice. Let me know.

Old 11-12-2011, 01:13 PM   #23

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Muliemaster, im really interested in CA, does the graphite barrels seem to heat up, for ex. im a big shooting range guy, try to go often and spend about couple hours there. Would it heat up the barrel and lead to inaccuracy if i take some continuous shots? I've heard the carbon barrels help the barrel not get hot? i am unsure about the barrels. Thank you!
This is what I can tell u about barrel heat ob my carbon one custom. I never have had my barrel «hot enough that it becomes in accurate » I have shot the usual 5 to 10 shot groups with a short cooling time in between, I dont abuse my rifles. Christensen arms are very high quality built guns, its a long range hunting/ target rifle not a semi auto ar15, normal shooting does not heat up the barrel any worse than say shooting a 10 shot group from my win 70 in 300 win mag, to me the 300 is hot to the touch where the carbon fiber barrel is cool enough to hold

Old 11-12-2011, 07:25 PM   #24

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Oh ok, that comming from an experienced person like you is very helpful. i continuously shoot 15 round, with about 5-8 seconds between each round. and about a minute between every five rounds. would the Christensen rifle think that is abuse?

August, 96 Varmint Guns
> some people LOVE the Christensen or some just regrett buying them. Take a look at the URL please

Thanks

Old 11-12-2011, 08:49 PM   #25

Quote:
Oh ok, that comming from an experienced person like you is very helpful. i continuously shoot 15 round, with about 5-8 seconds between each round. and about a minute between every five rounds. would the Christensen rifle think that is abuse?

August, 96 Varmint Guns
> some people LOVE the Christensen or some just regrett buying them. Take a look at the URL please

Thanks
Oh hell no probs there like I said I love mine.an by the way after 7k in it all together if I found 1 single blem or any thing I didnt like, or any craftsmanship issues I would break it over one of their heads at the christensen factory trust me

Old 11-12-2011, 08:57 PM   #26

Quote:
By they way I shoot my carbon one custom at least 3 times a week, as the range is built behind my house. I have fired now over 2000 rounds through it without one single issue as expected. But I shoot that 338 way more than most shoot their big bores. I love shootin it, recoil of a 30/06 but the power of a run away mack truck

Old 11-12-2011, 09:00 PM   #27

Quote:
Cool cheap target. Go to a dollar store by the dollar vases, fill with flour, tape the top shut, settle in, squeeze the triger watch the white cloud of the hit. Fun cheap targets

Old 11-12-2011, 09:15 PM   #28

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

"In our tests, the rifle exhibited a definite tendency to shift its groups to the left as the barrel heated. While there was not a remarkable deterioration in accuracy, this group shifting was as much as 1.5 inches after ten shots. This 1.5-minute-of-angle deflection would translate to 6 inches of shift at 400 yards, more than enough to miss a prairie dog." I was wondering about that?

Thank you for the quick replies! Very fun to to talk to a person who knows what they are talkingabout!

Old 11-13-2011, 12:02 AM   #29

Quote:
"In our tests, the rifle exhibited a definite tendency to shift its groups to the left as the barrel heated. While there was not a remarkable deterioration in accuracy, this group shifting was as much as 1.5 inches after ten shots. This 1.5-minute-of-angle deflection would translate to 6 inches of shift at 400 yards, more than enough to miss a prairie dog." I was wondering about that?

Thank you for the quick replies! Very fun to to talk to a person who knows what they are talkingabout!
Please note I neither state or belive im an expert on christensen arms, I am just a very hardcore hunter that hunts 90 days a year in 5 states plus africa, i love true value rifles such as my marlin xl7 an xs7, they are true accurate well made well priced rifles, but, an here I say it, they are not 800 to 1500 yard rifles. So I took a chance on the word of my brother, that has 3 christensen rifles an got one. The rifle is deadly accurate at very long range, the fit is perfect, an im a 100% believer in their craftsmanship

Old 11-13-2011, 10:49 PM   #30

Quote:

Just to ley u all know we hammered our deer today in wyoming . My daughter took a heavy horned 26 inch wide 5x4 with her 7mm. I took another good buck 29 inch wide 4x7 from 386 yrds with my 7stw