Long range .223 precision
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Long range .223 precision

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 07:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Long range .223 precision

Any recommendations on a 1/4 minute .223 rifle?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-17-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2955 Times on 1704 Posts
Likes Given: 1271

Many factors are involved.
Do you have access to a ballistic table?
http://ballisticscalculator.winchester.com/

They have an app for that.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 02-17-2013, 10:37 AM   #3

Liked 516 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by 408garrett View Post
Any recommendations on a 1/4 minute .223 rifle?
What is your price range?

Old 02-17-2013, 10:23 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadyshot

What is your price range?
Hadn't really considered a price range. Guess that part isn't really a concern of mine

Old 02-18-2013, 12:16 AM   #5
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1220 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 587

Unless you build or have a custom rifle built,your going to have a hard time finding any factory production rifle that will shoot 1/4 MOA,and even then,you better be on your game everytime you pull the trigger.
I have several rifles that will shoot 1/4 moa groups,and have even broke the 1/8 moa mark a couple times,but I would give more thanks to luck than anything. Most of my rifles will shoot 1/2-3/4 moa almost any time I shoot them,but I would never even think calling my rifles 1/4 moa shooters because it only happens on rare occasions.

There are too many variables that fall into play for any rifle to shoot that good all the time,and then throw in the shooter,and it just compounds the odds of a rifle shooting that well.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:36 AM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2599 Times on 1269 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

Rock River 20" A-4 Varmint Rifle. I have had two of them and both shot a 1/4 and 1/2 MOA groups when the old man was having a good day being human and all! Of course a good friend needed my first one real bad after witnessing it shoot. So I just replaced it last fall with another one in Green Hardware that shoots equally as well. It was done several times with both rifles using Federal P223E HP BT 55 gr. ammo. I have had people think I was stretching the truth until they got one, or seen it at my range. I will also be using the new one for prairie dogs as well.
I am sure they may be other weapons that are capable but I have only had my Rock River Arms Varmint Rifles do it in the AR platform in the 223/5.56. A 40X Remington, or SAKO Varminter for example will also do it. However to get that accuracy you are going to have to have good quality ammunition, a good rest w/ (Bag Rest), calm day and your stuff together being human as I mentioned! Some days just do not work out if you know what I mean!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 02-18-2013, 02:52 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03
Rock River 20" A-4 Varmint Rifle. I have had two of them and both shot a 1/4 and 1/2 MOA groups when the old man was having a good day being human and all! Of course a good friend needed my first one real bad after witnessing it shoot. So I just replaced it last fall with another one in Green Hardware that shoots equally as well. It was done several times with both rifles using Federal P223E HP BT 55 gr. ammo. I have had people think I was stretching the truth until they got one, or seen it at my range. I will also be using the new one for prairie dogs as well.
I am sure they may be other weapons that are capable but I have only had my Rock River Arms Varmint Rifles do it in the AR platform in the 223/5.56. A 40X Remington, or SAKO Varminter for example will also do it. However to get that accuracy you are going to have to have good quality ammunition, a good rest w/ (Bag Rest), calm day and your stuff together being human as I mentioned! Some days just do not work out if you know what I mean!

Now that's the answer I was looking for just some platform people have had luck with. Of course I'm aware there's a lot of factor. I'm just talking about hardware and ammo. I can worry about the rest when it comes to shooting.

Now the following question would be... "55 gr. really?!" Seems you may be able to hold 1/2 minute out to maybe 400 yards but stretching beyond that. I really wouldn't know. I've shot primarily .308 for longer than 500 yards.
?

Old 02-18-2013, 09:17 PM   #8

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 16

JMO,but...I'd be seriously looking at the whole system....Gun/sights/ammo/rest.Just sayin,don't put all the effort into one area and lag on the others.A nice chronograph and a spot-on reloading bench would be on my menu to consistently be shooting tight groups.I don't use my chrono nearly as mush as should now but,it sure did educate me on a lot of ballistic "stuff" I had heard.

I'll(hopefully) post up some pics of a dang near wore out beater Savage .223.....but,its well within "specs" on the other areas(top-notch rest/quality reloads)....groups.Can say,I'll be knocking on 1/4" group door.It's finding the balance that works best for you.Good luck

Old 02-18-2013, 11:05 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5934 Times on 3356 Posts
Likes Given: 5484

Remember, there is a BIG difference between 1/4 MOA and consistent 1/4 MOA.

Consistent 1/4 will require a bench rest rifle. Consistent 1/2 MOA can be easily achieved by most of the quality AR-15 match grade rifles.

Remember too that this level of accuracy will also require a top quality scope. the $99.95 Wally world special won't cut it.

Winston Churchill
Txhillbilly Likes This 
Old 02-20-2013, 02:53 PM   #10

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Remember, there is a BIG difference between 1/4 MOA and consistent 1/4 MOA.

Consistent 1/4 will require a bench rest rifle. Consistent 1/2 MOA can be easily achieved by most of the quality AR-15 match grade rifles.

Remember too that this level of accuracy will also require a top quality scope. the $99.95 Wally world special won't cut it.
What he said is spot on ^^^^^^ I have shot 1/4" groups 50% of the time with my 308 AIAW folder but don't consider it a true 1/4" rifle since it won't do it regularly. The aggregate of all the 5 shot groups I have shot is 0.31" so I consider it a 3/10" inch rifle.

Last edited by samnev; 02-20-2013 at 02:57 PM.