Long range with a .223, how possible? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Long range with a .223, how possible?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2010, 12:00 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Appreciate the replies guys. No need to pursue the 5.56NATO vs .223 angle, as its bolt actions only in Aust and my club reloads .223 for all those without their own rifles yet. I'd be using a Tikka lite 1/8 twist...but the club stuff is commonly 55gr (lol)

Who knows our armourer might bump this up a lil if we do end up shooting at this longer range

Good to know there's only "operator error" preventing success at these distances (OK possibly not 800, might have to borrow a SMLE for that, depending lol)

In other words, my usual handicap

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 11-21-2010, 12:08 AM   #12

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuk View Post
Appreciate the replies guys. No need to pursue the 5.56NATO vs .223 angle, as its bolt actions only in Aust and my club reloads .223 for all those without their own rifles yet. I'd be using a Tikka lite 1/8 twist...but the club stuff is commonly 55gr (lol)

Who knows our armourer might bump this up a lil if we do end up shooting at this longer range

Good to know there's only "operator error" preventing success at these distances (OK possibly not 800, might have to borrow a SMLE for that, depending lol)

In other words, my usual handicap
A Tikka 1/8 is creamy and delicious......

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 11-21-2010, 12:09 AM   #13

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Long range with a .223, how possible? - General Rifle Discussion

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 11-21-2010, 02:24 PM   #14
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4521 Times on 2167 Posts
Likes Given: 2247

Default 5.56 Compared to 223

Some interesting reading reference the present discussion.

The Gun Zone -- SAAMI on 5.56 v. .223 Remington

www.fulton-armory.com/556-vs-223chamber.htm

Old 11-22-2010, 12:16 AM   #15

A 1:8 twist will definitely handle a much heavier bullet than the 55 gr. stuff you mention. I shoot 69 and 72 gr. bullets in my 1:9 twist Savage without any major accuracy problems. The 69 does better but the 72 gr. will run pretty well. With bullets that heavy you can get out to 800-1000 yards according to what I've read. My local range only gets out to 440 yards (almost exactly 400 meters) and I can hit a 3" target consistently from that distance. I'd like to find a place to shoot longer distances but I can't.

I don't have an AR type rifle though. I have a Savage 12 LRPV which is made for long range shooting. I'd guess that Tikka would do quite well at longer ranges. Quite a few people shoot 1000 yards with heavier bullets and some even go to 1200 yards or more. That's what I see people writing as I said before. I haven't had a chance to try it myself. I have very little doubt a Tikka would have no trouble shooting 600 yards accurately. I would guess my Savage would do better though.

Good luck and happy smoke trails.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:13 AM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Ghidora View Post
A 1:8 twist will definitely handle a much heavier bullet than the 55 gr. stuff you mention. I shoot 69 and 72 gr. bullets in my 1:9 twist Savage without any major accuracy problems. The 69 does better but the 72 gr. will run pretty well. With bullets that heavy you can get out to 800-1000 yards according to what I've read. My local range only gets out to 440 yards (almost exactly 400 meters) and I can hit a 3" target consistently from that distance. I'd like to find a place to shoot longer distances but I can't.

I don't have an AR type rifle though. I have a Savage 12 LRPV which is made for long range shooting. I'd guess that Tikka would do quite well at longer ranges. Quite a few people shoot 1000 yards with heavier bullets and some even go to 1200 yards or more. That's what I see people writing as I said before. I haven't had a chance to try it myself. I have very little doubt a Tikka would have no trouble shooting 600 yards accurately. I would guess my Savage would do better though.

Good luck and happy smoke trails.

Appreciate the info. Damn if you can get a 3" group at 400m well that's some very decent shooting indeed!

Thanks everyone, that's put my mind at ease over this question. So, all I have to concentrate on is the 'nut behind the wheel' if you get me...as is always the case

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 11-22-2010, 05:03 AM   #17

Liked 128 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Are you an armorer? My buddy Phil is at Ft Drum. He retired from the military, but still works as an armorer there as his full time job. I call you forevermore, Sniper wanna be!
So do we call you ARMORER wanna be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Some interesting reading reference the present discussion.

The Gun Zone -- SAAMI on 5.56 v. .223 Remington

www.fulton-armory.com/556-vs-223chamber.htm
Just couldnt let it go could you?

Congratulations, you both have made correct statements about the differences in the rounds.

#1 to point out though, you COULD shoot 40 S&W in a Glock 20, and it would work for a while, BUT WHY IN THE F*** WOULD YOU DO IT IN THE FIRST PLACE!

5.56 will run in a 223 chamber.
You will have excessive pressures.
You will have accelerated erosion.
You will eventually experience failure.
I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 11-22-2010, 01:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Appreciate the info. Damn if you can get a 3" group at 400m well that's some very decent shooting indeed!
Hey I appreciate the compliment but this Savage is a dream rifle. It just shoots great and way better than I ever have before. It has a bull barrel 26" long and it's a single shot. It came with a target action and trigger that's adjustable down to 6 oz's. But realistically it won't go lower than about 12 oz.s because it resets the AccuTrigger when you close the bolt if it gets set lower than that. I've been amazed at how well this thing shoots. It's like you can't make it bounce around and get off target. It's too heavy. Not much for hunting but it's a great varmint rifle. It's essentially the same rifle Savage uses in F class competition except it has a barrel that's 4" shorter. The guys on the Savage board say the 26" barrel is actually better than the 30" barrel though.

FWIW I've seen all sorts of rifles that can shoot pretty accurate a 400m. I think the Savage is better but then again it was made for that kind of shooting.

Go to this web page and check out the main video there. It shows what Savage has been doing with their stock rifles. And Tikka is right up there with Savage IMO. They make great rifles. My rifle is very similar to the F class rifles except for the barrel length and mine has a H-S Precision stock which was originally developed for the military as a sniper rifle stock. Add in the fact that it's only a single shot and you get a lot of stiffness which helps a lot too. I have the right bolt, left feed model of the LRPV. It's just a very nice rifle and shoots way better than I can.

Last edited by King Ghidora; 11-22-2010 at 02:17 PM.

Old 11-25-2010, 06:46 AM   #19

Default 5.56 NATO vs .223 in my Mini 14

All this talk about 5.56 NATO and .223 ammo confuses me somewhat. I have an older model Mini 14 and I wonder if I should avoid shooting 5.56 NATO ammo though it. I bought it new sometime in mid 1990s, so it is 10 - 15 years old. I have never shot any 5.56 NATO ammo through this rifle. Any info will be helpful. I am hearing people say it is okay to shoot the 5.56 NATO ammo and others saying it isn't. Any one know the answer to my question?

Old 11-25-2010, 06:52 AM   #20

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipLash View Post
All this talk about 5.56 NATO and .223 ammo confuses me somewhat. I have an older model Mini 14 and I wonder if I should avoid shooting 5.56 NATO ammo though it. I bought it new sometime in mid 1990s, so it is 10 - 15 years old. I have never shot any 5.56 NATO ammo through this rifle. Any info will be helpful. I am hearing people say it is okay to shoot the 5.56 NATO ammo and others saying it isn't. Any one know the answer to my question?
you have to make sure your gun can handle 5.56. Mine states it on the barell.

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.