Long gun recommendations
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Long gun recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 03:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Long gun recommendations

Hello all,

I'm looking to pick up a long gun to round out the 2 hand guns my wife and I have.

For the foreseeable future this will be the only long gun I will get so it needs to be able to fit a generalized profile.

Ideally this gun needs to cover the following points:

* Easy to maintain under less than perfect conditions
* Reliable
* Handle at least small to medium game
* Easy to find ammunition
* Able to mount optics is a bonus

Looking for any and all recommendations and I thank you ahead of time.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-21-2012, 04:32 AM   #2
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2232 Times on 1205 Posts
Likes Given: 803

Go read through the AR threads. You'll find your answer there.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 11-21-2012, 01:08 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

That's what I was initially thinking, but I didn't want to pass over a possible better option without asking around. :-)

Old 11-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #4
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2232 Times on 1205 Posts
Likes Given: 803

You'll probably get a few other recommendations, but there is a reason why AR's are out-selling every other design out there.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 11-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #5

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

I have a CAR-15 and it is a very mobile gun. Even with a short barrel it'll reach out there. But if you want simple. Easy as it gets with a cheap price tag get an SKS as well as an AR. The SKS can be dropped in the mud. Cleared out and shot. Can't exactly do that with an AR. AMMO IS EVERYWHERE. Scope attachments can be put on too. An it's very accurate. Yeah it's Chinese but in this case it's good quality for a rugged rifle. I prefer my m1a Springfield to reach out but for a cheap price the SKS all around is a great choice

Old 11-21-2012, 03:03 PM   #6

Liked 2294 Times on 1347 Posts
Likes Given: 503

Any gun that gets mud in the chamber will fail. I am an AK and SKS fan and probably a bigger AR fan. All of them will fail with junk in the chamber. Of all teh internet myths about AR and AK family guns out there, the truth probably lies somewhere closer to the satement that "ARs are a lot more reliable than most people thing, and AKs are a lot more accurate than most people think."

That being said, if you are looking for real versatility, then the AR is probably your best bet. You buy one lower which is the registered firearm. Then you can buy other uppers to accomodate other roles. Swap calibers, go from precison rifle to light weight carbine, etc. You can buy the uppers and parts directly through the mail as your budget allows.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #7

Liked 2294 Times on 1347 Posts
Likes Given: 503

Test showing AK sand failure:
http://

Test showing AK and AR sand failure:
http://

Neither system is impecious to dirt once you get it in the works.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1267 Times on 861 Posts
Likes Given: 1308

Something in .308.....................

When all else fails.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:33 PM   #9

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

"Kamarathin
Long gun recommendations
...the only long gun I will get so it needs to be able to fit a generalized profile.

Ideally this gun needs to cover the following points:

* Easy to maintain under less than perfect conditions
* Reliable
* Handle at least small to medium game
* Easy to find ammunition
* Able to mount optics is a bonus"

This is a tall order.
In the order presented:
...maintain... This is most main stream rifles. Otherwise, they would have been dumped by the shooting public.
...small to medium game... Medium game will limit rim fire rounds. Most everything else will handle this option. Although, too much weapon/round will not leave much to eat.
...Easy[of]ammunition... This brings the choices down a lot. Depending upon your area some of these will change. Biggies are: .223/5.56, 7.62X39, 308/7.62, 30.06. Area dependent, add: 30.30, .243, .270, 8MM, 303 Brit and several more. Their are many options but I would go with one in the first grouping.
...mount optics... I can't think of one rifle that some type of scope isn't being mounted on. Some are much simpler than others.

As you have not included reloading, I will do the same.

Not knowing your determined needs, I can only splatter about.

A bolt action made my a better known maker in .223/5.56 or 308/7.62 would be a good option. Used is good.
Or.
An AR15/M16/M4 type in .223/5.56, if self protection may come into play.
Or.
(I don't care for them, but) A 'SKS' or AK type in 7.62X39 is less up front cash.

As there are two of you to arm, maybe a bolt in .223/5.56 and an AR/M4 in .223/5.56. As you don't list loading, go with the 5.56 chambering or one of the mix chamberings like the Wyled to give full supply options in ammo.

Study, read and gather as much information as you can before making your decision/s.

Enjoy,

OSOK

racer_x Likes This 
Old 11-21-2012, 09:51 PM   #10

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

If all you want is small game I would go with a marlin 60. If you have to have a scope I would go with a 10/22. 22LR ammo is the least expensive you can buy.

Right now carbines are hard to come by but a pistol caliber carbine is a lot of fun.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Last edited by Old_Crow; 11-21-2012 at 09:54 PM.
jpattersonnh Likes This