Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Long distance target shooting 6.5 creedmoor or .308? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/long-distance-target-shooting-6-5-creedmoor-308-a-77448/)

alcott7 11-30-2012 09:58 PM

Long distance target shooting 6.5 creedmoor or .308?
 
Pros and cons on both

Axxe55 11-30-2012 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alcott7 (Post 1033829)
Pros and cons on both

lot of it depends on your definition of long distance. 300 yards? 600 yards? 800 or more?

do you reload? have you set a budget? have any rifles in mind? hunting or target shooting? how much experiance with long distance shooting do you have?

yes there are pro's and con's on both, but will matter more when you give some more details as to what the intended sue of the rifle is.

alcott7 11-30-2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55

lot of it depends on your definition of long distance. 300 yards? 600 yards? 800 or more?

do you reload? have you set a budget? have any rifles in mind? hunting or target shooting? how much experiance with long distance shooting do you have?

yes there are pro's and con's on both, but will matter more when you give some more details as to what the intended sue of the rifle is.

+600
Yes I reload
Budget 1500 (already have optics)
Target
Almost 5 years, I'm no pro but I've done my fair share of practice.

Axxe55 11-30-2012 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alcott7 (Post 1033865)
+600
Yes I reload
Budget 1500 (already have optics)
Target
Almost 5 years, I'm no pro but I've done my fair share of practice.

then my suggestion would be the 6.5 Creedmore. several nice rifles in that caliber. Savage and Ruger both have several rifles chambered in that caliber. another option would be to find a Remington M700 or Winchester M70 and have it rebarreled in 6.5 Creedmore which could still be done on the budget you have set.

reloading will allow you to shoot more than just being restricted to factory made ammo and allow you to fine tune the loads to whatever rifle you choose.

SSGN_Doc 11-30-2012 11:17 PM

The 6.5 will definitely carry better at long range. Better ballistic coefficient, better sectional density. Less wind drift. If you are target shooting and hand loading then the 6.5 is your Huckleberry.

Txhillbilly 12-01-2012 01:02 AM

Get the 6.5 CM or a 260 Remington,ballistics are almost identical on either one. Brass is easier to get for the 260 Rem,you can resize any caliber from the 308 family for it. I use Winchester 243 brass for all of my 260 brass,just run it thru the full length sizing die,trim,and it's ready to load/shoot.
I have a 6.5 CM barrel,but I haven't put it on an action yet.I don't know if you can use any 308 family brass to make 6.5 CM brass,but I do have several hundred Hornady cases ready to load for it.

alcott7 12-01-2012 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Txhillbilly
Get the 6.5 CM or a 260 Remington,ballistics are almost identical on either one. Brass is easier to get for the 260 Rem,you can resize any caliber from the 308 family for it. I use Winchester 243 brass for all of my 260 brass,just run it thru the full length sizing die,trim,and it's ready to load/shoot.
I have a 6.5 CM barrel,but I haven't put it on an action yet.I don't know if you can use any 308 family brass to make 6.5 CM brass,but I do have several hundred Hornady cases ready to load for it.

Have you tested any loads with 6.5vld made by Berger I heard it was really nice.

gunnut07 12-01-2012 09:47 AM

I am with TXH on this one. While the 6.5 CM is a great round the 260 does all the same stuff but, will set you back a little less for brass and what not.

That being said any one of the three will get you to 1k easy.

Txhillbilly 12-02-2012 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alcott7 (Post 1034331)
Have you tested any loads with 6.5vld made by Berger I heard it was really nice.

I haven't tried the Berger's in 6.5mm yet. They would be a waste of time in the 260 Rem-AR10. The restrictions of having to keep them at magazine length usually doesn't work well with Berger Bullets.
I shoot them in .224,.257,.284,and .308 calibers,and have always loved the way they shoot. But most of the best loads are way longer than any magazine length. Most bolt actions will even have to be shot like a single shot with the most accurate loads in my experience with loading the Berger bullets.

Most of my best loads using Bergers are either touching the lands,or they aren't more than .0010-.0015 off the lands.
When I get the 6.5 Creedmoor built,I'm sure I will try them in it. I like doing business with Walt Berger,he won my business many years ago after I emailed them for some load data and he personally sent me the load data,at 2 AM on the weekend.
That's what I call great customer service!

locutus 12-02-2012 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Txhillbilly (Post 1035204)
I like doing business with Walt Berger,he won my business many years ago after I emailed them for some load data and he personally sent me the load data,at 2 AM on the weekend.
That's what I call great customer service!

Berger is old time, please the customer type of business. Wish there were more like him.

Joyce Hornady was like that too. A shame his successors didn't learn from him.


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:10 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.