Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Long Distance Shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 04:33 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc
What type if long range shooting do you want to do? Bench shooting at static targets or hunting? It can make a difference on bullet recommendations.
Right now I want to get shooting at static target down pat before I try deer hunting. I'll most likely be prone shooting but if I find a better range then I'll be shooting from bench. I have a Bushnell 3-9x40mm that I stole off my savage 30-06 and a Harris bipod 6-9".

Old 01-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #22
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19557 Times on 11100 Posts
Likes Given: 49220

Quote:
Originally Posted by secdef View Post
Right now I want to get shooting at static target down pat before I try deer hunting. I'll most likely be prone shooting but if I find a better range then I'll be shooting from bench. I have a Bushnell 3-9x40mm that I stole off my savage 30-06 and a Harris bipod 6-9".
please tell me that from what i read from your first post on this thread, that you are not thinking about hunting at the distances you showed? (500-1500meters, = 547-1640yards)

because, if so, then i am saying that you are approaching what many of us will term unethical hunting practices! target shooting at those distances is one thing, but hunting at those distances is unethical and very irresponsible as a hunter.
People Like This 
Old 01-27-2013, 05:27 PM   #23

Liked 1908 Times on 1141 Posts
Likes Given: 405

Quote:
Alright. Practice at long distances on static targets is great for honing your shooting skills. As others already brought up once you get into the hunting realm it is critical to know your limitations because the ethical harvesting if an animal is at stake. Ammo selection and shot placement is critical as is bullet performance. Again I tend to limit my shots in game to pretty short or intermediate ranges. I target shoot out to 600 yds but that isn't the same. Also consider that if you wound a game animal at a distance it gives it that much more of a head start on you for tracking and finishing off. Some states require by law that you exercise every effort to recover an animal that you shoot. Trying to locate the beginning of a blood trail that starts 300 yards of more away can be difficult for experienced trackers. Then you have to follow it. Most deer are shot in the early morning after dawn or in the late afternoon near dusk. This can mean that you need every minute of daylight to track that deer.

So there are practical reasons to limit shots to closer range where it can be easier to take a clean shot. It also makes you become a better hunter and scout ahead of time to know game movement areas and patterns to give you a better chance at a nice easy shot by doing the hard work ahead of time.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:03 PM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

please tell me that from what i read from your first post on this thread, that you are not thinking about hunting at the distances you showed? (500-1500meters, = 547-1640yards)

because, if so, then i am saying that you are approaching what many of us will term unethical hunting practices! target shooting at those distances is one thing, but hunting at those distances is unethical and very irresponsible as a hunter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by secdef
What is a good calibre for shooting anywhere between 500-1000 metres? What scope? What ammo would you recommend? And what grain for which distances ..thanks.

R700 .30-06 user.
This what I said. I also put as the title "Long Distance Shooting" so hopefully you're intelligent enough NOT to assume I'm talking about hunting but instead, target shooting.

Last edited by secdef; 01-27-2013 at 07:05 PM.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:10 PM   #25

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc

Alright. Practice at long distances on static targets is great for honing your shooting skills. As others already brought up once you get into the hunting realm it is critical to know your limitations because the ethical harvesting if an animal is at stake. Ammo selection and shot placement is critical as is bullet performance. Again I tend to limit my shots in game to pretty short or intermediate ranges. I target shoot out to 600 yds but that isn't the same. Also consider that if you wound a game animal at a distance it gives it that much more of a head start on you for tracking and finishing off. Some states require by law that you exercise every effort to recover an animal that you shoot. Trying to locate the beginning of a blood trail that starts 300 yards of more away can be difficult for experienced trackers. Then you have to follow it. Most deer are shot in the early morning after dawn or in the late afternoon near dusk. This can mean that you need every minute of daylight to track that deer.

So there are practical reasons to limit shots to closer range where it can be easier to take a clean shot. It also makes you become a better hunter and scout ahead of time to know game movement areas and patterns to give you a better chance at a nice easy shot by doing the hard work ahead of time.
Thank you, I'll take that in consideration, if I go hunting I would be shooting farther than maybe 300 metres. However, I'm going for target practice and eventually competition shooting hence why I wanna shoot between 500-1000 metres.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #26
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19557 Times on 11100 Posts
Likes Given: 49220

Quote:
This what I said. I also put as the title "Long Distance Shooting" so hopefully you're intelligent enough NOT to assume I'm talking about hunting but instead, target shooting.
i try not assume anything! reason i posted what i did, is because there was a person here a few months ago that did start a thread similar to this, and was looking to hunt at those distances!

i merely stated what should be the obvious, but might not be to some. even though i gave up hunting years ago, i still by no means condone unethical hunting practices. so when i see from your first post and then the mention of hunting deer, it just didn't add up.

no harm or foul. just wanted some clarification.
People Like This 
Old 01-27-2013, 08:07 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 851 Times on 444 Posts
Likes Given: 591

If your serious then this what you need. A barrett .338 Lapua. $3,500 and shells cost 2-3 dollars a piece.

USMC 74-78

Old 01-27-2013, 08:40 PM   #28

Liked 1088 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbkiller
If your serious then this what you need. A barrett .338 Lapua. $3,500 and shells cost 2-3 dollars a piece.
You don't look very comfortable sitting there!!

Old 01-27-2013, 09:11 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 851 Times on 444 Posts
Likes Given: 591

That's my buddy shooting that thing. It is a blast to shoot I tell ya.

USMC 74-78

Old 01-27-2013, 09:17 PM   #30

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbkiller
I'll pass on the Barrett .338 simply because I'm not a huge fan of the manufacture. If I had the storage, and money I would buy a PGW Timberwolf 338 SWS seeing how it to is .338 and highly recommended as very accurate.
image-2673541226.jpg   image-625441715.jpg   image-7468189.jpg   image-3552904710.jpg