Long distance - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Long distance

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 05:16 AM   #61
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 156 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post

not hardly! you seem to have missed the point. you learn in steps. once you master each step you take, by the time you have reached 1000 yards or more, you have learned the scope, the rifle, the ammo's ballistics, doping the wind and any other variables and you would be hitting the target, not walking them in! that's how to shoot accurately.

anyone who thinks this a good method for learning to shoot accurately at long distances, is probably going to be very disappointed and probably give up anyways.

i can just about gaurantee anyone who learns in steps, will have many more hits on target than somebody who walks his shots onto the target.
I agree with you a axxe, I am not an experienced long range shooter and I like to go to the range by myself so that I can move back from the target at my own pace. Everytime I go with buddies they want to start out by shoot their old 30-06s at 500+ yds. They hardly hit the target which is frustrating...
Old 01-26-2013, 05:42 AM   #62

Liked 181 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Quote:
not hardly! you seem to have missed the point. you learn in steps. once you master each step you take, by the time you have reached 1000 yards or more, you have learned the scope, the rifle, the ammo's ballistics, doping the wind and any other variables and you would be hitting the target, not walking them in! that's how to shoot accurately.

anyone who thinks this a good method for learning to shoot accurately at long distances, is probably going to be very disappointed and probably give up anyways.

i can just about gaurantee anyone who learns in steps, will have many more hits on target than somebody who walks his shots onto the target.
Not all of us had someone teach us. I agree with you 1000%! I feel like there is some info missing here as if you are charged up by some other thread. There's plenty of ways to skin a cat....some are just more expensive than others.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:56 AM   #63
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21985 Times on 12396 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotMormon View Post
Not all of us had someone teach us. I agree with you 1000%! I feel like there is some info missing here as if you are charged up by some other thread. There's plenty of ways to skin a cat....some are just more expensive than others.
no need for anyone to have to have a teacher to learn in this day and age. with all the books and videos available, anyone with some common sense could pretty much learn on their own. and look at all the information available on the internet as well. probably thousands of articles on the subject.

back story is, this subject comes up quite often. part of the story many feel like they can buy an accurate gun and a good scope and start shooting accuraely at long distances. not possible. simply put. i can take the most accurate rifle ever made, capable of 1" groups at a 1000 yards, in the hands of an unskilled shooter, i will just about bet he will never, ever hit the target, unless he just gets lucky! take a mediochre rifle in the hands of a skilled rifleman and he will hit the target. there is no substitute for trigger time and learning how to shoot. many think they can just buy an accurate rifle and scope and it can like magic, make them into a long range shooter!

IMO, i still stand by my statement, that walking shots into the target is not an acceptable practice for learning to shoot accurately. if i used this method, i could probably walk shots into a target at long range with my 22lr!

Old 01-26-2013, 06:17 AM   #64

Quote:
no need for anyone to have to have a teacher to learn in this day and age. with all the books and videos available, anyone with some common sense could pretty much learn on their own. and look at all the information available on the internet as well. probably thousands of articles on the subject.

back story is, this subject comes up quite often. part of the story many feel like they can buy an accurate gun and a good scope and start shooting accuraely at long distances. not possible. simply put. i can take the most accurate rifle ever made, capable of 1" groups at a 1000 yards, in the hands of an unskilled shooter, i will just about bet he will never, ever hit the target, unless he just gets lucky! take a mediochre rifle in the hands of a skilled rifleman and he will hit the target. there is no substitute for trigger time and learning how to shoot. many think they can just buy an accurate rifle and scope and it can like magic, make them into a long range shooter!

IMO, i still stand by my statement, that walking shots into the target is not an acceptable practice for learning to shoot accurately. if i used this method, i could probably walk shots into a target at long range with my 22lr!
We are one the same page but in a different paragraph. Like I said, I agree with you 1000%. I'm self taught and am mathematically gifted. I did a lot of load developement and spent the majority of my time getting breathing and trigger break down to almost second nature. Once I got out to 800 yards, I needed someone to spot me. I had to have someone tell me where the round was impacting. You may call this walking in but I call it a real time necessity for adjustment. Mid range winds can be a bitch and sometimes your only feedback is the guy on the spotting scope.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:18 AM   #65

So going to the range every weekend (when available) and shooting to 200 metres( 219yd), than 300 metres (328yd) than 400 metres (437yd) ect all the way to 700+ metres (766yd) isn't acceptable practice in your eyes?

image-3832394577.jpg  

Old 01-26-2013, 06:22 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotMormon View Post
We are one the same page but in a different paragraph. Like I said, I agree with you 1000%. I'm self taught and am mathematically gifted. I did a lot of load developement and spent the majority of my time getting breathing and trigger break down to almost second nature. Once I got out to 800 yards, I needed someone to spot me. I had to have someone tell me where the round was impacting. You may call this walking in but I call it a real time necessity for adjustment. Mid range winds can be a bitch and sometimes your only feedback is the guy on the spotting scope.
might be time to step up and spend some money on higher quality optics. rule of thumb is, you can't hit what you can't see. optics is one place many people cheap out at on their rifles. the longer the distances, the better your optics need to be.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:43 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyotePGW308 View Post
So going to the range every weekend (when available) and shooting to 200 metres( 219yd), than 300 metres (328yd) than 400 metres (437yd) ect all the way to 700+ metres (766yd) isn't acceptable practice in your eyes?
Jeezus!!! Short of turning a post into a romance novel, yes, that's exactly what you should do.

Axxe, I could invest in better optics but that will have to wait for a better economy. Keep in mind I am shooting at 800 yards proficiently at under $650 not including reloading equipment. Not bragging, just saying that it can be done.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:46 AM   #68

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

might be time to step up and spend some money on higher quality optics. rule of thumb is, you can't hit what you can't see. optics is one place many people cheap out at on their rifles. the longer the distances, the better your optics need to be.
I'm sorry but your statement just doesn't make sense since most sniper teams consist of two to three men (shooter, spotter, security) and with the "high end optics" that the military uses on their .338 Lapua, .308 NATO and .50 BMG rifles, if the shooters didn't had the spotter next to then they wouldn't be able to hit targets past 800 metres never mind 2.5 kilometres or 2.5 kilometres (currently held my an Aussie using a Barrett M82A1 .50BMG.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:59 AM   #69

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

A Sniper team Spotter calls the corrections and gives the order to the rifleman, "Send It". I can afford all those toys. But to hire a full time trained Military Spotter thats too much!

Old 01-26-2013, 07:04 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiNRA2013 View Post
I'm sorry but your statement just doesn't make sense since most sniper teams consist of two to three men (shooter, spotter, security) and with the "high end optics" that the military uses on their .338 Lapua, .308 NATO and .50 BMG rifles, if the shooters didn't had the spotter next to then they wouldn't be able to hit targets past 800 metres never mind 2.5 kilometres or 2.5 kilometres (currently held my an Aussie using a Barrett M82A1 .50BMG.
this is not a discusion of being a sniper! it's about target shooting. military doctrine and civilian target shooting are two different things with different objectives.

your comments are total nonsense as no one here is trying to learn how to snipe and kill people. not one person said anything about how snipers do their job. you might want to refrain from commenting unless you have information that pertains to the discussion at hand. all you are doing is confusing the issue and trying to incite and argument or start trouble. have a good night.

Closed Thread