Long distance - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Long distance

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 02:14 AM   #51
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1179 Times on 678 Posts
Likes Given: 568

Damn,This thread really went crazy!
While the 308-30/06-and the 300 magnum versions shoot long range,there are many smaller calibers in 6mm-6.5mm-7mm,that will shoot long range a hell of a lot better and have less recoil.They also have better ballistic coefficient bullets available to shoot.
If you are hunting at long range,there are other factors that need to be addressed.Not only do you need a bullet that fly's well,but it also must have the energy at what ever range to cleanly kill an animal,not just able to reach the distance.

It's funny,Ever since these long distance super magnum calibers like the 300 RUM,338 Lapua magnum,etc. came out,everybody wants to be a super sniper. The truth is,most guy's don't have anywhere near the knowledge,experience,or trigger time with any caliber weapon at short range,and now they think they can just go buy one of these rifles and some how they will become the next great long range king.

If you can't shoot really good at 100 yards,IMO,under 1/2 moa,then there's no need in trying to try shooting farther ranges. Get real good at short range,then move out another 100 yards.
You have to know your ballistics,your rifle,how to read conditions-wind,mirage,temperature,humidity,etc.,how to correctly use your optics.

I laugh everytime I watch those guy's on youtube shooting long range that walk their shots out to their targets. That's not shooting long range,it's taking a guess,and then adjusting their shot only to have to guess some more. 5-6 shots later,they finally hit the target-then miss it a few times before they get lucky and hit it again.
I don't call that shooting,it's wasting ammo.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:44 AM   #52
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21334 Times on 12105 Posts
Likes Given: 53172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
While the 308-30/06-and the 300 magnum versions shoot long range,there are many smaller calibers in 6mm-6.5mm-7mm,that will shoot long range a hell of a lot better and have less recoil.They also have better ballistic coefficient bullets available to shoot.
If you are hunting at long range,there are other factors that need to be addressed.Not only do you need a bullet that fly's well,but it also must have the energy at what ever range to cleanly kill an animal,not just able to reach the distance.

It's funny,Ever since these long distance super magnum calibers like the 300 RUM,338 Lapua magnum,etc. came out,everybody wants to be a super sniper. The truth is,most guy's don't have anywhere near the knowledge,experience,or trigger time with any caliber weapon at short range,and now they think they can just go buy one of these rifles and some how they will become the next great long range king.

If you can't shoot really good at 100 yards,IMO,under 1/2 moa,then there's no need in trying to try shooting farther ranges. Get real good at short range,then move out another 100 yards.
You have to know your ballistics,your rifle,how to read conditions-wind,mirage,temperature,humidity,etc.,how to correctly use your optics.

I laugh everytime I watch those guy's on youtube shooting long range that walk their shots out to their targets. That's not shooting long range,it's taking a guess,and then adjusting their shot only to have to guess some more. 5-6 shots later,they finally hit the target-then miss it a few times before they get lucky and hit it again.
I don't call that shooting,it's wasting ammo.
but another member informed me several months ago that having a spotter help him walk his shots onto the target was accurate shooting!

i said IMO this wasn't my idea of making accurate shots. but maybe i was wrong?

Old 01-26-2013, 03:16 AM   #53

Liked 142 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 75

I think the important part to keep in mind here is most of these "long range" questions are being asked by new shooters. You have to learn to walk before you can run i.e shoot accurate at close range before push it out further.

I see nothing wrong with a newer shooter walking in shots at long range as long as they are learning something from it. To an experienced shooter it would seem wasteful as their skills and understanding of their rifle and caliber are advanced.

I learned to long range plink in the winter as the air is usually more stable under high pressure weather conditions with no wind. In the summer, conditions get tricky when the ground warms up. Lots of variables to deal with under any condition though. One thing is certain, if you are unwilling or unable to reload your ammo there's pretty much no chance in hell you will be a "sniper"....no matter what rifle you own.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:29 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotMormon View Post
I think the important part to keep in mind here is most of these "long range" questions are being asked by new shooters. You have to learn to walk before you can run i.e shoot accurate at close range before push it out further.

I see nothing wrong with a newer shooter walking in shots at long range as long as they are learning something from it. To an experienced shooter it would seem wasteful as their skills and understanding of their rifle and caliber are advanced.

I learned to long range plink in the winter as the air is usually more stable under high pressure weather conditions with no wind. In the summer, conditions get tricky when the ground warms up. Lots of variables to deal with under any condition though. One thing is certain, if you are unwilling or unable to reload your ammo there's pretty much no chance in hell you will be a "sniper"....no matter what rifle you own.
i'm sorry but i just don't agree with that way of shooting. IMO, that's just not accurate shooting. even an unskilled shooter with just about any firearm could potentially walk shots onto the target. doesn't make him an accurate shooter and he has learned nothing about accurate shot placement.

learning to shoot accurately, one starts off at close distances and learns to shoot accurately. when he has mastered this distance, then he increases his distances and then learns to shoot accurately at that distance. every distance when mastered, he increases his distances. at least this is how i was taught by my father. i have never ever heard of learning by walking in shots to the target as method of learning to shoot accurately.
People Like This 
Old 01-26-2013, 03:36 AM   #55

You missed the point axxe. If a guy is walking shots in every time he goes out shooting, yea, thats not accurate shooting. If it happens during their infancy learning their scope or doping wind then it was for something.

Are you saying that if you dont hit your target the first time you push it out to 1000, you should just pack it up and grab the fishing pole?

Old 01-26-2013, 03:38 AM   #56

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovco

I actually chose it because it's big, heavy and ugly and fully adjustable.

What glass do you have on your 700?
I have a Bushnell Sportsmen 3-9x40mm
image-3543650799.jpg   image-4103610357.jpg  

Old 01-26-2013, 03:45 AM   #57
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 919 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
One guy died in this thread today. It was like a gold fish in a Paraná bowl.

Only shot a 7mm Remington Mag once, and it was a double hit!
Old 01-26-2013, 03:51 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotMormon View Post
You missed the point axxe. If a guy is walking shots in every time he goes out shooting, yea, thats not accurate shooting. If it happens during their infancy learning their scope or doping wind then it was for something.

Are you saying that if you dont hit your target the first time you push it out to 1000, you should just pack it up and grab the fishing pole?
not hardly! you seem to have missed the point. you learn in steps. once you master each step you take, by the time you have reached 1000 yards or more, you have learned the scope, the rifle, the ammo's ballistics, doping the wind and any other variables and you would be hitting the target, not walking them in! that's how to shoot accurately.

anyone who thinks this a good method for learning to shoot accurately at long distances, is probably going to be very disappointed and probably give up anyways.

i can just about gaurantee anyone who learns in steps, will have many more hits on target than somebody who walks his shots onto the target.
wizard63 Likes This 
Old 01-26-2013, 04:00 AM   #59
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1161 Times on 797 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

I once shot a fly on the side of the shed at a good 25 yards with a Daisy Red Rider.............

When all else fails.

NotMormon Likes This 
Old 01-26-2013, 04:07 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303tom View Post
I once shot a fly on the side of the shed at a good 25 yards with a Daisy Red Rider.............
I once caught a fly with my hand.....without walking it in. I had to watch Karate Kid ten times to do it though.