Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > long action vs short action

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2011, 04:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
gutz47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 231
Default long action vs short action

You guys wanna fill me in on the difference? I don't know much about bolt guns, but I'd really like to change that. Also, what's cheaper to stock pile, 308 or 30-06? I assume 308.

__________________
gutz47 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 11-23-2011, 05:33 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East Texas, Texas!
Posts: 26,847
Liked 19572 Times on 11108 Posts
Likes Given: 49272

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutz47 View Post
You guys wanna fill me in on the difference? I don't know much about bolt guns, but I'd really like to change that. Also, what's cheaper to stock pile, 308 or 30-06? I assume 308.
30-06 would be a long action caliber, 308 would be a short action caliber. 243, 7mm-08 are short action, 270, 25-06 are long action.

what's cheaper to stockpile? 30-06 comes in more types of ammo varieties than the 308, but the 308 isn't far behind and the price difference isn't that big between them, so either one.
__________________
Coming from the Village of the Damned.
Resist all Tyranny and Oppression.
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:42 AM   #3
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
c3shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Third bunker on the right,Central Virginia
Posts: 16,260
Liked 8315 Times on 3595 Posts
Likes Given: 1279

Default

Yeah, what he said. The length of the action is how long a cartridge it can handle.

__________________

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

c3shooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:03 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Boston,MA
Posts: 114
Default

Remember, just because you have a long or short action bolt doesn't mean it can take any long or short action caliber.

__________________
ACRhino is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:36 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
gutz47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 231
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACRhino
Remember, just because you have a long or short action bolt doesn't mean it can take any long or short action caliber.
Oh I know. To my knowledge, guns only fire the specific caliber they were intended to fire. Unless of course we're talking madusa talk. How many different calibers does that thing shoot?
__________________
gutz47 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:41 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Posts: 24,301
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutz47 View Post
Oh I know. To my knowledge, guns only fire the specific caliber they were intended to fire.
Actually there are several platforms that will fire multiple types of calibers and rounds.

The new Remington Sniper platform has an AR style barrel switching system that allows the field used to go from .308 to .338 Lapua in a matter of minutes.

The rifle action itself can be made into a lot of different variants, but the chamber that is cut into the breach of the barrel is what ultimately determines what "caliber" the platform will shoot.

And you can shoot short action rounds out of a long action rifle. Remington did that for years with the 700 long action and a .308 round for the early M24 system.

It's just not ideal.

JD
__________________
Dillinger is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:51 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BlueTurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boise,ID
Posts: 1,022
Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default

You never know what some folks might try putting through their rifles, knowing or unknowing. I know of a guy who went out and bought a Remington 770 in 7mm Mag. He was in such a hurry to fire his new rifle he had his head where the sun doesn't shine and proceeded to chamber a .270 round in it. He pulled the trigger and the round went off, blowing off the magazine cover on the bottom of the rifle. he knew he messed up when he got the brass out of the chamber. I was surprised to hear that the .270 round even went into his gun. I double checked this story and the event was confirmed. He was asking some of his friends if he should get his rifle checked out before he fired it again. It takes all types.

__________________
BlueTurf is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 03:33 AM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East Texas, Texas!
Posts: 26,847
Liked 19572 Times on 11108 Posts
Likes Given: 49272

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf View Post
You never know what some folks might try putting through their rifles, knowing or unknowing. I know of a guy who went out and bought a Remington 770 in 7mm Mag. He was in such a hurry to fire his new rifle he had his head where the sun doesn't shine and proceeded to chamber a .270 round in it. He pulled the trigger and the round went off, blowing off the magazine cover on the bottom of the rifle. he knew he messed up when he got the brass out of the chamber. I was surprised to hear that the .270 round even went into his gun. I double checked this story and the event was confirmed. He was asking some of his friends if he should get his rifle checked out before he fired it again. It takes all types.
one sure always make sure of the ammo put into a gun, when buying ammo and especially like many of us with many different weapons. just because it will chamber, doesn't mean it's the right ammo. he was lucky, it could have hurt or killed him. hopefully he learned a valuable lesson!
__________________
Coming from the Village of the Damned.
Resist all Tyranny and Oppression.
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 04:08 AM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Sniper03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 4,935
Liked 2146 Times on 1069 Posts
Likes Given: 1091

Default

47,

The simple explanation is that as the previous posts have stated. Obviously the Bolt has to travel a farther distance to load a 30-06 because the cartridge is longer using the Long Action and a shorter distance to chamber the shorter 308 round in the short action. Otherwise cycling the bolt to load the 308 in the rifle built for it in short action is quicker on the cycling then the 30-06 rifle with the long action receiver because of the travel distance of the bolt to chamber the round. As stated some rifles particularly the older ones still could have a 308 built with the long action receiver. Today some of the calibers that have the short action are the 308 Winchester, 243 Winchester, 22-250 Remington, 300 Winchester Short Mag, 270 Short Mag and others. Long Actions are 270 Winchester 30-06 Winchester, 280 Remington, 7mm Rem Mag and others for a few.

03

__________________
Sniper03 is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 03:37 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
gutz47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 231
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03
47,

The simple explanation is that as the previous posts have stated. Obviously the Bolt has to travel a farther distance to load a 30-06 because the cartridge is longer using the Long Action and a shorter distance to chamber the shorter 308 round in the short action. Otherwise cycling the bolt to load the 308 in the rifle built for it in short action is quicker on the cycling then the 30-06 rifle with the long action receiver because of the travel distance of the bolt to chamber the round. As stated some rifles particularly the older ones still could have a 308 built with the long action receiver. Today some of the calibers that have the short action are the 308 Winchester, 243 Winchester, 22-250 Remington, 300 Winchester Short Mag, 270 Short Mag and others. Long Actions are 270 Winchester 30-06 Winchester, 280 Remington, 7mm Rem Mag and others for a few.

03
Thatnk you sir. So when I'm considering a bolt gun, I should also take into consideration how fast I'd like to cycle my next round. 30-06 vs 308....
__________________
gutz47 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Long Action vs Short Action falseharmonix General Rifle Discussion 20 02-05-2014 09:16 PM
( MK 248 Mod 1 ) Long action Remington Still in the fight ! redmist General Rifle Discussion 4 02-25-2011 05:33 PM
Winchester, Savage , Remington short action lengths.. shortbolt General Rifle Discussion 1 02-01-2011 02:18 AM
Howa short action ricardo General Rifle Discussion 8 03-20-2010 02:36 AM