Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Loading a 243 semi automatic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2008, 01:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Loading a 243 semi automatic

Ok, i may sound like an idiot here. I have been using a Ruger 30/06 bolt action for deer hunting for the past 13 years. I decided to purchase a Remington 243 semi automatic. The problem is, i have never owned a gun with a clip before. I figured out how to get the four shells in the clip but how do i get the fifth shell in the rifle? The gun dealer told me that this is what the rifle holds, but i did not think to ask him how to load it and it is a far drive for me to return to him.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-26-2008, 02:11 PM   #2

Load one round in the clip and cycle the action by hand which will load the rifle by putting that one round in the chamber. Remove the clip from the gun and load it with the four rounds. Obviously make sure the gun is pointed in a safe direction when you cycle it and on safety. To empty the gun remove the clip and and cycle the action by hand removing the round from the chamber. I hope that helps and it was the answer you were looking for.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:27 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Didn't it come with an owner's manual? If not, you need to contact the manufacturer and request one. It's important to thumb trough that and become familiar with the feature of your new rifle before you venture out into public with it, or even put ammo into it.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:44 PM   #4

Another option is to load the mag with four, chamber one round, drop the mag, and load another to replace the one in the chamber.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:56 PM   #5

Thanks for all the replies. No, it did not come with a manual. I am going to call the dealer and have him send one or find one online to purchase as i agree i want to go through it before i sight it in. Both ways of loading makes sense, just wanted to make sure. Thanks!

Old 10-27-2008, 12:36 AM   #6

http://www.remington.com/library/downloads/owners_manuals.asp

Old 10-27-2008, 01:34 AM   #7

Thanks bgeddes. That will be very helpful.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:55 AM   #8

Anytime!! Seems most of the manufacturers post manuals online.

Be safe, and have fun!