Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > a little dissapointed...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 03:10 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 52 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I bought a new Stevens 200 in 308. Probably the same barrel as your Savage. It took a while to break it in and the group tightened up, but I can shoot 1 MOA with 2 and sometimes 3 shots and then it starts to open up. This is a great hunting rifle because it always hits dead center bull the first shot, the second shot usually touches the first at 10 oclock and the third is about 1/2 inch away at 11 oclock. If you cant hit them the first or second shot, pack it up and hit the range. I was disappointed when I got it but with a cold barrel it will shoot as good as any gun I have and better than most. It likes 150 Coreloks and hates Winchester white box, federals are OK. It also likes to be clean.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:34 AM   #22
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1150 Times on 663 Posts
Likes Given: 552

The factory tupperware stocks are pretty lousy at best. Boyd's makes some nice laminated wood stocks that work very well. The factory trigger could also use an upgrade,and there are several to choose from.
Both of these upgrades will vastly improve the shooting ability of the rifle. As others have said,the sporter contour barrel's are designed for hunting,and most don't shoot very well after they heat up.
If you use a good solid front/back shooting rest,your groups will probably improve a lot if you let the barrel cool 5 minutes between shots.
Some rifles are very picky about what they like to shoot,so don't get discouraged when it doesn't shoot a certain type or brand well. I spend a lot of range time finding out what each of my rifles like to shoot,and I strictly handload for everything I shoot.

Try some 150 or 165gr hunting bullets-Soft point or Ballistic tips,and it may shoot a lot better than the match grade stuff.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #23

Liked 55 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

like everyone says, check your scope mount, rings, ect. then use a good copper cleaner like Montana Extreme copper killer (thats what I use) to completely clean the copper fouling out. after the copper is out it will take about 20-40 rounds down the barrel before the accuracy gets to as good as it's going to be.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:09 PM   #24

Liked 2377 Times on 1544 Posts

Try a different scope. Some shooters keep one scope just for accuracy testing, then mount the scope they want to leave on it. More than likely this isn't the case, its probably fouling, loose screws, or your time between shots.

Feral cat waterboarder

Newest Threads