a little dissapointed... - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > a little dissapointed...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 02:49 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
It was your first time to shoot the rifle. Did you have instant skills with your pistol? After firing a number of centerfire rifle rounds many people start flinching. Were you shooting with your eyes open? You mentioned all your experience is with a 5.56 which has virtually no recoil. Most rifle competitions don't allow the use of a scope or a red dot. They are a pure iron sight affair. Hunters use scopes for their shooting, not target shooters. You have a hunting rifle and hope to win shooting competitions?

No, I have no desire to shoot competition with this rifle, I only mentioned the competition shooting I've done as a reference, which was IDPA and IPSC/3-gun i.e. "Speed shooting" I competed in "limited" for 3-gun because I didn't have a compensator on my AR (post ban, bought in 2002), and I didn't use a red dot, cause I was a broke college kid who spent all his money on the gun, couldn't afford tacticool stuff like red dots.

I just wanted a bolt action with a scope so I can take long range shots. Either target practice or hunting, but I can't hunt with this in Ohio. (deer anyway. coyote are fair game it seems)

I'm aware of hot barrels not shooting accurately. yesterday I fired some rounds to get on paper. Today, I fired 7 rounds. 3 rounds followed by about a 5 minute break, while I walked out to look at the target, walk back in, reload the mag, re-install my ear plugs, re-check that the field I was shooting across was still clear, checking for vehicle traffic, etc. then fired the next 4 rounds. I could feel a little warmth to the barrel, but not a ton.

My eyes were open while shooting, I don't THINK I was flinching or anticipating, but it may be possible. My focus was on my breathing, pausing at the natural "low" between breaths and holding momentarily while squeezing. Might have to put a camera on myself so I can replay it and see what I'm doing when the gun goes bang.

Anyway, I've got a list of things to do for now, starting with a good cleaning of the bore. (since this is a used gun, unknown round count, how can you tell when a barrel is "shot out" ? does the measurements change on a micrometer/caliper? or is it just something you know after so many rounds?)

Old 02-14-2013, 03:08 AM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I have a similar model and same problem, I don't like the fact that it is lighter barrel or maybe we both got screwed and bought lemons

Old 02-14-2013, 03:10 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
the type of rifle you have is a hunting rifle. the barrels are very thin and lightweight. this means its terrible for doing shot after shot. the more you heat the barrel up the bigger the groups get.

the purpose of these guns are to take one shot on a deer collect deer gut and dress out the deer go out the next day take a shot collect deer etc.

after taking a shot wait until you feel zero warmth anywhere on the barrel then take another shot wait etc.

if you wait for a totally cool barrel i think your groups will shrink considerably
This is very important. If you are wanting to shoot faster and get consistent groups, you need a higher end rifle with a Bull Barrel. My first bolt Action was accurate for 2 quick ones and then got further away on the 3rd, 4th and 5th.

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:04 AM   #14

Liked 648 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cuda383 View Post
I recently acquired a used Savage model 11 .308 with a fairly new (he said brand new?) Vortex 3-9x40 Diamondback with the BDC recticle.

I went to do some zeroing shots today. at first, I had to bring the paper in to 50 yards just to get on the paper, and even then, I had one of 4 shots graze the edge of the plate.

made about 30 clicks on the scope to center it up some.

tried again, then went back to 100 yards.

I was really hoping for a tighter group at just 100 yards. I ended up with an almost 5" group on the plate,

I wanted to get a nice bolt action so I can do some long range shooting. during competition, I've done some 400 yard work with a 20" AR and iron sights and did pretty good...I was at least hitting the flash target with the strobe light that would signal a hit.

but as I look at this grouping, I'm feeling like an amateur. I think I've done better with my non-magnified 16" M4gery and a red-dot!

I don't feel like I could even begin to try to get a 200 yard zero with a grouping like this, it'd be such a wide grouping that I'd never be able to tell what the grouping actually is!

this is my first scoped bolt action rifle, looks like I've got a LOT of work ahead of me to get as good with it as I am with the rapid fire semi-autos and pistols! haha.

First up, I want a better trigger this one feels quite stiff. after that...not sure what I'll need. I was practicing dry fire and felt like I was holding the target ok while squeezing the trigger. is it really that hard to shoot MOA without using sandbags and bench rests? (I was just laying prone in the yard, using my off-hand/fist as a rest to hold the rifle up)
I would make sure the scope is mounted "rock solid" clean the barrel and check the crown for any damage. To really check the rifles accuracy taking it to the bench on a solid rest is the best way to know exactly how well your scope is zeroed and accuracy capability of your rifle.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:18 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post
This is very important. If you are wanting to shoot faster and get consistent groups, you need a higher end rifle with a Bull Barrel. My first bolt Action was accurate for 2 quick ones and then got further away on the 3rd, 4th and 5th.

what are you guys calling "faster" shooting? I'm shooting 3 rounds at a time, with about 15 seconds between shots, followed by a 5-10 minute cooling period.

is that still "too fast" for a hunting rifle with a light weight barrel? yes, I did realize that this is not a big heavy bull barrel.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:34 AM   #16

This is what I consider "faster fire"

I shot 25 rounds in about 20 seconds through my AR, target was at 100 yards. no magnification.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:17 PM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5508 Times on 2875 Posts
Likes Given: 357

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cuda383 View Post
what are you guys calling "faster" shooting? I'm shooting 3 rounds at a time, with about 15 seconds between shots, followed by a 5-10 minute cooling period.

is that still "too fast" for a hunting rifle with a light weight barrel? yes, I did realize that this is not a big heavy bull barrel.
turn this
Quote:
shooting 3 rounds at a time, with about 15 seconds between shots
to: shooting 1 round at a time, with about 3-5 minutes between shots.

thats closer to what a lightweight hunting gun is capable of if your trying to really see what it's true accuracy potential is.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

jpattersonnh Likes This 
Old 02-14-2013, 10:31 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5538 Times on 3134 Posts
Likes Given: 4818

And check the stock bedding screws. Loose screws will open a group.

Winston Churchill
jpattersonnh Likes This 
Old 02-14-2013, 11:10 PM   #19

Liked 699 Times on 479 Posts
Likes Given: 719

I don't own a Savage in .308. I have an old 110 Sierra lite in 7MM Rem Mag. 2 shots from a cold barrel is all it was intended for. The second is the OS round. I do own a Howa HB 22" barrel .308. Even w/ a HB it only takes 5 rounds, 1 well full to heat up . Just make the 1st round count!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:02 AM   #20

Liked 216 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 17

cuda Looks like 25 rounds in 20 seconds too Looks like bucks at 40 yards. ha Guess your standing and just bang'n away. Just waisteing ammo.

You know you can also torgue the action screw to change how a rifle shoots. But for any one that buys a used rifle it can be a turkey shot as to how well it shoots .

You may need the help of a more seasoned shooter/hunter to help sort out your rifle and maybe you.