Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Lever Actions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2013, 01:59 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 622 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Hmmm, 38 to 10 cents a round is a pretty big drop. I've been interested in reloading, but I'm not sure I shoot enough to justify start-up costs. Seriously JP, we have to go shooting this summer. Sounds like you have a lot of interesting stuff. Whatever happened to that armor you were going to test?
Ended up getting an invite from a friend to a spot 2 miles from home. He is ex-special forces and a security contractor for up grading embassies and such. He actually knew what the stuff was. We concluded it is more of a blast material then a bullet stopper. We put it to the test w/ 9 different calibers plus .410 and 12ga.
We found allot of jackets just on the other side of the stand using only FMJ Military ammo.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 12-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 145

Our family shoots S.A.S.S matches. We have a win 92, a cimmeron 73, an ASM 92, Rossi 92 and a couple of marlins. The marlins are heavy duty rock solid. the 92's are all good solid guns. The '73 is smooth as silk, but not as designed for heavy loads. There are no best ones, just all a little different. Look around and find what feels best then go have fun!

Old 12-22-2013, 03:10 AM   #33

Liked 165 Times on 118 Posts

I did a bad, bad thing. Raleigh had a nice little gun show today. i have always wanted a lever action, but wasn't sure which one to buy. So I compromised.

Old 12-22-2013, 03:11 AM   #34

Liked 165 Times on 118 Posts

Damn, sorry for the double post. So the compromise was the $5 raffle ticket for the 356 Winchester. And I grabbed a new Marlin 336 30-30 for $399. I could not resist that deal. Will post pics when I have a chance.

Old 12-22-2013, 04:16 AM   #35

Liked 2040 Times on 1196 Posts
Likes Given: 1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacColt68 View Post
Damn, sorry for the double post. So the compromise was the $5 raffle ticket for the 356 Winchester. And I grabbed a new Marlin 336 30-30 for $399. I could not resist that deal. Will post pics when I have a chance.
we're posting pics now....ok, twist my arm.....

my marlin 336 SS has always been my favorite.....but i just got a henry big boy that may be challenging the #1 spot.....

congrats on the new 336, i expect you'll have good times together...

Old 12-22-2013, 05:36 AM   #36

Liked 49 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 138

I'm not a "sniper" or expert marksman, I don't have a chronograph nor can I tell you the ballistics or necessarily how many grains of powder that I shoot.

Here's what I can tell you, I've had my Rossi 92 in .357 for about a year and it's the most fun rifle I shoot (and I have a couple of different options available). I normally plink with .38 special rounds and have no trouble hitting what I aim at, the rifle is more accurate than I am.

So far it has ran everything I've fed it without exception. It's not tacticool and it's not a sniper rifle, but I wouldn't hesitate to grab it for anything from self/home defense to hunting to having a blast at the range! Like many of us, I have heard the horror stories over the years about Rossi quality, but the more I talk to people who have actually owned them the more I realize Rossi is not much different than any other manufacturer.

Just my $.02...

RJ

Old 12-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #37

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevJammer View Post
I'm not a "sniper" or expert marksman, I don't have a chronograph nor can I tell you the ballistics or necessarily how many grains of powder that I shoot.

Here's what I can tell you, I've had my Rossi 92 in .357 for about a year and it's the most fun rifle I shoot (and I have a couple of different options available). I normally plink with .38 special rounds and have no trouble hitting what I aim at, the rifle is more accurate than I am.

So far it has ran everything I've fed it without exception. It's not tacticool and it's not a sniper rifle, but I wouldn't hesitate to grab it for anything from self/home defense to hunting to having a blast at the range! Like many of us, I have heard the horror stories over the years about Rossi quality, but the more I talk to people who have actually owned them the more I realize Rossi is not much different than any other manufacturer.

Just my $.02...

RJ
Your pretty much spot on. They are fun rifles to shoot. Some might be rough around the edges, but they are not horrible rifles. If you like to tinker around, they are great. They have a great feel to them, and cleaned up, they can look really good. And they do shoot accurate enough to have some fun plinking.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #38

i had a rossi ranch hand. i really liked it. but in the end, i did decide to get rid of it to get something i wanted a bit more. and i do miss it a bit. and i agree they are good guns.....my only real beef with them is they are not american made.

the quality of my rossi was just OK.....passable. the function is perfectly fine. i did have to drop some $ to get my sights on target (they were 8-10" high from factory, had to get aftermarket sights to get it on target). the safety was cheap and terrible, probably the worst part. function wise, it went bang as it should....and i really disliked that the manual stated NOT to disassemble for cleaning ....i like to give my guns a good cleanin. a lever should be easy as pie to break down and clean (as my henry and marlin are )

i've handled a rossi 357 rifle and they are light and handy. i think a good rifle at the right price. sometimes i wish i had one simply because my my two levers are so pretty (imo) that i tend to really baby them too much.

it kind of pisses me off honestly. more american manufacturers need to put moderate priced, good quality levers out there (coach guns too). imo, there is a real market for it, and with marlin almost out of the game....the time would be now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevJammer View Post

Just my $.02...

RJ

Last edited by hawkguy; 12-22-2013 at 02:05 PM.
RevJammer Likes This 
Old 12-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #39

pic of my marlin and departed ranch hand. it stung a bit to get rid of the ranch hand (especially after i spent money and tie to get it shooting like a champ ). but in the game of firearms, sacrifices must be made now and then .

Old 12-22-2013, 05:12 PM   #40

Liked 644 Times on 433 Posts
Likes Given: 390

That's a nice lookin' Marlin^^^