Lever Actions - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Lever Actions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2013, 01:28 AM   #21
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21919 Times on 12384 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
If you're patient they're out there. I bought a Winchester 30-30 about six months ago or so for $400.
there are still a some deals around on the Winchesters if you hunt around. i bought my Model 94 last year for $295 and though it was in the used gun rack, it had never been fired.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:30 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JW357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,724
Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post

there are still a some deals around on the Winchesters if you hunt around. i bought my Model 94 last year for $295 and though it was in the used gun rack, it had never been fired.
Now THAT is a helluva good find.
__________________

Always have clean socks.

JW357 is offline  
Axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:33 AM   #23
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21919 Times on 12384 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
Now THAT is a helluva good find.
i thought so too! it's also an AE model, so it's already drilled and tapped for scope mounts. not that i would ever put a scope on it, but i do have the option.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:39 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
John_Deer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,768
Liked 1890 Times on 1292 Posts
Likes Given: 707

Default

I wanted a Handi Rifle chambered in 357. Once I actually shot a carbine (Rossi) chambered in 357 I didn't want a 357 carbine any longer. The 357 is awesome in a pistol but in a rifle it is very lame. A 12 ga sabot has more effective range than a 357 carbine. Over 100 yards the 357 dropped like a stone.

__________________

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

John_Deer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:49 AM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
phideaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West Ky
Posts: 709
Liked 762 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 786

Default

Im with Jon M,
Outta the box with nice hand loads , this Rifle is krazy accurate at 100 yards,
Uberti Yellow Boy ,.45LC, hex 26" barrel, oozing with quality allaround, and you can get the 1873 Cattleman revolver to match , its just as good a shooter also.

I have the Rossi in .44 mag and 357 mag , not as high quality, but shoot great, and if you do the Steve Gunz slick job, their as smooth as butter.





Jim

__________________
Welcome to my home.......by the way........that door you just kicked open.....was for your protection ..not mine.
phideaux is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:52 AM   #26
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21919 Times on 12384 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I wanted a Handi Rifle chambered in 357. Once I actually shot a carbine (Rossi) chambered in 357 I didn't want a 357 carbine any longer. The 357 is awesome in a pistol but in a rifle it is very lame. A 12 ga sabot has more effective range than a 357 carbine. Over 100 yards the 357 dropped like a stone.
actually pistol chambered rifles work quite well if you reload and you get the benefits of a longer sight radius, plus a little more velocity out of the same cartridge, vs. a pistol. some states only allow rifles chambered in pistol cartridges for hunting deer and some game. with proper shot placement, proper bullets, a rifle in a pistol cartridge can be just as effective as the same in a pistol.

my father shoots his 357 Magnum pistol quite accurately at 75-100 yards, with open sights. i suspect he wouldn't have any problems with a rifle in the same cartridge.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
phideaux Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:00 AM   #27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
hawkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: austin,tx
Posts: 4,317
Liked 3053 Times on 1821 Posts
Likes Given: 2077

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phideaux View Post
Im with Jon M,
Outta the box with nice hand loads , this Rifle is krazy accurate at 100 yards,
Uberti Yellow Boy ,.45LC, hex 26" barrel, oozing with quality allaround, and you can get the 1873 Cattleman revolver to match , its just as good a shooter also.

I have the Rossi in .44 mag and 357 mag , not as high quality, but shoot great, and if you do the Steve Gunz slick job, their as smooth as butter.





Jim
beautiful!!!!
__________________
hawkguy is offline  
phideaux Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:12 PM   #28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jpattersonnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South central,NH
Posts: 5,047
Liked 734 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 761

Default

I've waited for this to die down a bit. If you want a Good, and I mean good Lever gun in a pistol caliber, just get a .45LC. I have a .44-40, which actually started as a rifle caliber. You can find both for $19.00 a 50 round box in cowboy action loads, which will work for targets, plinking or Home defense. I understand you don't reload, But, I bought a box of 500 160gr .427 lubed cast lead for $17.00. 3.4 cents a bullet. Toss in the powder and primer, about .10 cents a round using 8.5gr of unique powder. It is actually less, but easy to round up. I get about 800 rounds per pound. I load 160 and 200gr, so info is an estimate on the high side.
If you want to shoot mine, let me know. You'll have to drive a bit. Maybe an hour.

__________________

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

jpattersonnh is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:14 AM   #29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dwmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Madisen, In
Posts: 928
Liked 310 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 383

Default

I've been looking at the Rossi lever in 44 mag to go with my Uberti cattleman in 44 mag. I have deer hunted with the round for about 20 years now, and own several pistols. I already reload the round so my costs are about 13-15 cents a round with Lyman Keith mold bullets gas checked 245 grain. Slightly higher with more expensive bullets.

The cattleman chronos at 1625fps with a 6" barrel with a max load of h110.( huge muzzle flash, Keith bullet). I also use spreer gold dots in 210 grain pushed at ~1750 fps. ( less recoil, flatter trajectory). According to the ballistics calculator the keith load should push 18-1900 fps out of the 22" barrel of the Rossi. And the gold dot load should reach to ~2050 fps.

Plugging in the numbers that's ~13" drop at 200 yards with a 100 yard zero. And less than 1" drop difference between the loads. Plenty good enough for a woods rifle in Indiana, and plenty of power for deer sized game.

__________________

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!


Last edited by dwmiller; 12-20-2013 at 12:30 AM.
dwmiller is offline  
Axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #30
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
clr8ter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Central NH
Posts: 3,438
Liked 1045 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 683

Default

Quote:
I've waited for this to die down a bit. If you want a Good, and I mean good Lever gun in a pistol caliber, just get a .45LC. I have a .44-40, which actually started as a rifle caliber. You can find both for $19.00 a 50 round box in cowboy action loads, which will work for targets, plinking or Home defense. I understand you don't reload, But, I bought a box of 500 160gr .427 lubed cast lead for $17.00. 3.4 cents a bullet. Toss in the powder and primer, about .10 cents a round using 8.5gr of unique powder. It is actually less, but easy to round up. I get about 800 rounds per pound. I load 160 and 200gr, so info is an estimate on the high side.
If you want to shoot mine, let me know. You'll have to drive a bit. Maybe an hour.
Hmmm, 38 to 10 cents a round is a pretty big drop. I've been interested in reloading, but I'm not sure I shoot enough to justify start-up costs. Seriously JP, we have to go shooting this summer. Sounds like you have a lot of interesting stuff. Whatever happened to that armor you were going to test?
__________________
clr8ter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Trying to decide, help with lever actions. Hunterdan General Rifle Discussion 47 12-22-2013 12:54 PM
here we go. 23 executive actions on GC gaspump86 Legal and Activism 49 02-03-2013 12:04 AM
.22 Pump Actions JiroZero713 .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 30 11-29-2010 12:49 AM
Rifle actions? 270 win General Rifle Discussion 5 01-22-2010 07:54 PM
What are lever actions used for? dobby General Rifle Discussion 13 05-27-2007 03:50 PM