Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Lever Actions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2013, 12:00 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 852 Times on 567 Posts
Likes Given: 519

Default Lever Actions

Recently, along with SA revolvers, I've become interested in lever actions. But, as usual, what I kind of want, I doubt they make. So how about it, anyone heard of a LA in .40 S&W? And loads from the side of the receiver? (Is Marlin & Winchester the only ones that load from the side?) Simply because I already shoot this cartridge. I was at the LGS yesterday, and I mentioned to the owner that it'd be nice if he had a 357 version of a 3030 Marlin on one of his racks. so he say "Like this one?" and hands me a gun from behind the counter. Yup, like that. I notice it has a tag on it that says, "Owner's Personal Firearm." (He's a little confused that he has to SELL some guns to make money.)
Anyway, 357 would be kickass, but I don't currently shoot 357, and it's not exactly cheap to buy..

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-16-2013, 12:24 AM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Not that I know of. Cheapest center fire cowboy action shooting, that I know of, is in 38 special.

Here's a link that may interest you?
http://www.rossiusa.com/product-list.cfm?category=8

Or buy American?
http://henryrepeating.com/rifle-big-boy.cfm

I personally enjoy scoping out the used rack at my LGS for pistol caliber lever action guns. Good Luck

Old 12-16-2013, 12:40 AM   #3

Liked 317 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Mossberg's 464 loads from the side of the receiver but only comes in 30-30 or 22LR. plus side is it looks like a Winchester 94 but is a side eject & is drilled & tapped for scope mounts, so if you mount a scope the empty's won't hit it when running the action. brand new they're $400 in my area, I bought a used one for $250, it shoots really well.

30-30 is fairly cheap to shoot & even cheaper to reload, so if you can't get one in a caliber you already have, that's the way to go. plus 30-30 is far superior to any pistol caliber out there. just some food for thought.

All I've had today is like 6 gummi bears & some scotch

Old 12-16-2013, 12:41 AM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19832 Times on 11259 Posts
Likes Given: 49979

i checked out a Marlin LA in 44 Magnum last year that i should have bought and wished i had. i thought too long on it and someone else bought it!

i just recently got interested in pistol calibered LA's a few years ago. i have had many of them over the years, but not any in pistol calibers.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:21 AM   #5

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Pistol caliber lever action rifles are typically chambered for rimmed cartridges like .38/.357, .44 Magnum, and .45 Colt.

I have heard of semi-custom rifle converted to feed .45 ACP so given enough money it may be possible, but why?

If you want a .40 caliber lever rifle, get one in .38-40 aka .38 WCF. Despite the designation it is a forty caliber.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:49 AM   #6

Liked 2357 Times on 1376 Posts
Likes Given: 1500

i think rossi makes a 357 side loading, and the price is right, but my overall impression of rossi is....meh. i think they make good beater rifles basically. i had a rossi ranch hand, and LOVED the mare's leg concept, but the quality....again, meh at best.

marlin WAS the way to go. but the 357's were always hard to get and now my understanding is....almost impossible. many feel the remington take over has been very bad for marlin quality. and getting an older "real" marlin 357?......well, open wallet WIDE..... i have a "real" marlin SS 336 30-30...and it is a GREAT gun. i admit i'm a little skeered of the new ones....

which imo....leaves cimmaron ($$$) or henry . i just picked up a henry big boy 357....to my shame, i have yet to shoot it....but it is a work of ART! i can't give you a performance grade yet, but in function it is almost exactly the same as my marlin, only it loads form the tube....while i'm not crazy about that...i can look past it cause this rifle is an american made beauty!!!

go henry big boy or go home imo!!!!

stbigboy_111706inset.jpg  

Old 12-16-2013, 10:21 AM   #7

Liked 852 Times on 567 Posts
Likes Given: 519

Yeah, if only henry side-loaded……I'd be all over it. They are very nice guns. So how come none of you guys had anything to say about Winchester? The issue with 3030 is what would I do with it. Again, not exactly a cheap round, I don't reload, and I don't hunt. Is it any good for plinking/target practice? It just doesn't give me any warm fuzzy feelings.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:32 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3721 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Yeah, if only henry side-loaded……I'd be all over it. They are very nice guns. So how come none of you guys had anything to say about Winchester? The issue with 3030 is what would I do with it. Again, not exactly a cheap round, I don't reload, and I don't hunt. Is it any good for plinking/target practice? It just doesn't give me any warm fuzzy feelings.
Winchester is a good company with a great history. You can't do wrong.

I have a Winchester 30-30 and I love it. At Wal-Mart when they have ammo in stock a box runs me about $17. If you ask me, relative to certain other calibers, that's extremely reasonable.

The wife and I shot 50 rounds out of our Winchester just this weekend. Not a single hiccup. I wasn't expecting any, anyway.

She's seen in my picture.

Always have clean socks.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #9

Liked 2357 Times on 1376 Posts
Likes Given: 1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
do you have a side loading lever already? while i also prefer it....there are some disadvantages. first, my marlin loading is very stiff and if you aren't very careful, it loves to pinch the ends of your fingers! also, it is very easy to scratch your receiver with a side loader. like you, i prefer the side loading levers in function for a quick reload and topping off....but i also have gripes about them as well.

so imo, although tube loaders are not as quick or accessible as the receiver ones, they are actually easier to load sometimes. 10 shots is a good capacity so it shouldn't effect hunting or range time negatively...the only serious negative would be a reload for self defense. a pistol lever will certainly make a good SD firearm....but still not the best choice imo, as others suit that role better.

38 spcl is pretty reasonable (and fun) to plink with, just slightly more than 9mm. 357 and 30-30, not so much. at .75 cents + a round for 30-3o, it is a very expensive plinking round imo. its a great round to shoot for fun, just not cheap....same with 357 unless you find a good sale.

isn't winchester out of the game on levers? you can only get really expensive limited editions or older models and they are now considered "classic" so you won't find a deal. winchesters are also top eject, and although i have never shot a top eject, i always wanted the option to mount an optic easily if i wanted. winchesters are supposed to be one of the best....but they are basically out of the game now...especially if you want one new or at a reasonable price.

i ran into to the same issues you are seeing when i sought a 357 lever.....marlin and win. are basically out of the game. rossi is just OK, cimmaron (although nice) is much more than i could stomach spending.

considering the demand, there just isn't a whole lot out there. and fair warning...if you decide to get the henry 357...you'll be looking awhile for it........took me 1-2 months before i lucked onto to one.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:10 PM   #10

Liked 348 Times on 232 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
which imo....leaves cimmaron ($$$) or henry . i just picked up a henry big boy 357....to my shame, i have yet to shoot it....but it is a work of ART! i can't give you a performance grade yet, but in function it is almost exactly the same as my marlin, only it loads form the tube....while i'm not crazy about that...i can look past it cause this rifle is an american made beauty!!!

go henry big boy or go home imo!!!!
I can, Hawk. Picked up a Big Boy 357mag a week ago. It goes right where I aim it. Using 38spl or 357mag pistol loads there's no recoil, kinda like a noisy 22lr. Using rifle only loads there's just a bit of recoil. My only problem, (and it isn't really), is I want to get the receiver engraved and I can't decide what I want on it. Once it's done, there's no turning back.