Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   General Rifle Discussion (
-   -   lever action vs bolt action (

Zamzow 06-08-2012 11:35 PM

lever action vs bolt action
Just read an article about the two rifles. Lever vs bolt. What say u all.

hawkguy 06-08-2012 11:40 PM

for no practical reason whatsoever, i'm on team LEVER.

PlaysWithZombies 06-08-2012 11:43 PM

Between the two i prefer lever for short to medium range, and bolt action for long range

c3shooter 06-09-2012 12:06 AM

MANY (not all, just many) lever actions cannot handle the pressures of cartridges that a bolt will handle. Lever has a handicap when shooting from the bench.

When hunting, the lever will give a quicker reload than most bolts.

Have both, love both.

SSGN_Doc 06-09-2012 12:24 AM

Depends on the job. I like bolts for accuracy and range. Levers are handy for packing in the woods, quick follow up shots and just plain fun.

BlueTurf 06-09-2012 01:06 AM

I don't think there ever has been a real rivalry between the lever-action and bolt-action rifles. Shooters seem to like both types of rifles for their specific features.

HOSSFLY 06-09-2012 02:03 AM

Question makes no sense :confused:
For what reason?
In general?
Accuracy/distance - Bolt
Speed - Lever

Overkill0084 06-09-2012 02:28 AM

What would be it's intended use?
For applications where accuracy and strength are paramount? Bolt.
For hunting in brush country with lower intensity calibers? Lever.

heavyliftn 06-09-2012 02:53 AM

I like them both b/c they work great depending on what your doing. It never hurts to have 1 of each and throw in a semi while your at it for me.

unclebear 06-09-2012 03:04 AM

lever actions are faster to shoot, you can get them in pistol calibers so you can carry the same type of ammo, on the other hand bolt actions can shoot more high powered rounds in some cases more accurately and bolt guns can also weight more then a lever action and are generally longer.

For my walk around gun when I'm just walking through the woods when I do carry a rifle I carry a old winchester 30-30. I don't plan on killing any deer or anything like that but it's a good all around round that can take down trespassers as well as deer if need be. Bolt guns are all good and fun for long range, hunting, and snipers but if your hiking through brush and you might have to shoot more then once I'd choose a lever action everytime.