Lever action scout
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Lever action scout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2008, 09:08 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Lever action scout

Okay, I'm planning on building my own scout rifle since the savage scout is on indefinite backorder.
I am going to build a lever action with forward mount pistol scope (have to get a gunsmith to mount this for me)/ghost ring and front post as backup. I love levers for their speed and light weight.
I'm thinking this will make a great hunting, truck, defense, etc. gun.

As I live in florida, most shots will be within 100 yards.

So, there are a few items to iron out before going out and picking one up.
1. What caliber: I was thinking 30-30 as it is a nice do anything round. But, I'm also thinking 44 mag. Why 44? Well, from what I understand I could shoot the same ammo in a 44 revolver, thus combining my weapons systems somewhat. A 44 revolver would be fine for hunting or home defense also.
I plan to reload, so pretty much everything would be the same except for overall length.

2. Brand of rifle. Obviously if I choose to go with a 44, this is limits the number of makes chambered in this round.

3. Buy it from a big box store? I understand the stocks can be cheaper with the big box stores, but with a lever action I'm not sure if this matters?
I've seen 30-30's at Gander for 300 bucks.

thoughts?

My rifle and myself know that what counts in this war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-10-2008, 02:57 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

A .44 Marlin will get the job done. Ammo compatibility with a handgun is a natural and the .44 mag will give you decent punch at 100yds..

I believe that a scout scope mount is available and simple to install. I think it's called something like a Leverscout or something similar. I'm sure a google search would turn it up.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-10-2008, 03:00 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

The only Scout Mount I've been able to find for a Lever-Gun.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:30 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

That's the one I was thinking of. It's the second one, the XS Lever Scout mount.

What do you think?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-10-2008, 04:00 PM   #5

I like that xs system.
AO also makes one.
Have you tried the xs mount...how did you like it?

My rifle and myself know that what counts in this war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit...

Old 12-10-2008, 04:09 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I haven't used it. I no longer have any lever guns, but I really enjoyed them. I had two Marlins, an 1895 Ltd 45-70 and an 1894 .357. The .357 had an outstanding Williams peepsight on it.

I've pared down to the basics and a lever didn't fit into what I was trying to do.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:08 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2865 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 254

AO (Ashley Outdoors) changed their name to XS. Some sort of a legal hassle with someone who also claimed the former name.