lever action rifles?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > lever action rifles?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2007, 08:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default lever action rifles?

Ok, I know I'm asking a ton of question, but I'm hoping some people, much smart er than me about guns/rifles can enlightened me a tad.

So, what is the advantage/disadvantage about a lever action vs a bolt action.

I know what they do, but why would a choose one over the other?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-22-2007, 11:58 PM   #2

Default What is the difference?

Lever action rifles are usually more compact and able to be carried in high brush country. They will probably never be as accurate as a bolt action, but are often lighter in weight also. They are usually used for larger game such as deer, coyotes, etc. They are usually good "pie pan" size shooters out to 100-150 yards but anything past that is very iffy.
Bolt actions are more accurate, usually heavier, any caliber type guns. They are usually longer, but are good for longer distance shooting.
For long shots out west, you use a bolt action. For deer hunting in the deep brush of the Ozarks, the lever action is the way to go.

Ron

Old 04-25-2007, 02:06 AM   #3

If you're looking for a sort of compare and contrast "argument" in favor of one action type or another, I'll argue in favor of a bolt action, for these reasons: bolt guns have inherently better triggers, and most bolt guns have triggers that can be substantially improved by tuning or replacing the factory trigger with an aftermarket --- better trigger = better accuracy. Lever gun triggers can't be made as good. Bolt guns have essentialy two components, barreled action, and one piece stock, inherently more sturdy, rigid, and as a result, again, more accurate. You can get a bolt gun in virtually any chambering you want, whereas lever guns offer a limited selection (may be what you want or need, but it' still limited). Stock shape on bolt guns is designed for scope sights, lever gun stocks are designed for iron sights and most do not adapt well to scope sighting (not to mention ejection interference on top ejectors like Winchester 94s and clones). Bolt guns can be built in ultra light weights, by slimming stocks and using synthetics vs. wood, and paring away excess, non-structural metal (or even, as Remington has done, replacing steel components with titanium alloy). Lever guns are pretty much stuck at original design weight. The most sophisticated modern lever gun designs are simply attempts to achieve bolt gun standards of performance with a much more complex mechanism --- a worthy but unachievable goal. You really need to first define the gun's mission, then set a budget, then see what falls within those brackets. If you're planning to hunt whitetails in the swamp from a blind, with 50 yards a long shot, it's a moot point, you'd do all right with a bow. If you expect to make 400 yard shots on big mule deer, you'll want a rig that's ballistically, optically, and accurately up to job, and if you're gonna lug it over ridge and peak on your shoulder sling, you probably want it to weigh as little as possible, and now you're talking bolt gun.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:31 AM   #4

The lever action came first into the world. Then, as is usual with mechanical design, the concept of the repeater was greatly simplified and parts were integrated, resulting in the bolt action. (there-- decades of history in two sentances)

There are several good reasons to own a lever gun: 1. They're cool. 2. they're handy and fun. 3. You want one. 4. Someone gave you one. And mostly, 5. They're really cool. Then there's 6. They look great on the wall, and 7. You look great carying one, and 8. They look really sharp in the gun rack in the back window of your old rusty pickup.

(Now I wonder why I have only one lever gun)

Old 05-10-2007, 04:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnivore View Post
The lever action came first into the world. Then, as is usual with mechanical design, the concept of the repeater was greatly simplified and parts were integrated, resulting in the bolt action. (there-- decades of history in two sentances)

There are several good reasons to own a lever gun: 1. They're cool. 2. they're handy and fun. 3. You want one. 4. Someone gave you one. And mostly, 5. They're really cool. Then there's 6. They look great on the wall, and 7. You look great carying one, and 8. They look really sharp in the gun rack in the back window of your old rusty pickup.

(Now I wonder why I have only one lever gun)
Don't forget 9. John Wayne carried levers.
And 10. They are really, really cool

Who are the militia? They consist of the whole people, except for a few public officials.
-George Mason, Framer of the Declaration of Rights, Virginia, 1776 , which became the basis of the U.S. Bill of Rights

Old 10-11-2007, 04:38 AM   #6

There is just something about holding up a Winchester 94 and feeling the way it points and feels.

Glad I decided to buy my 94 when I did. Now that production has stopped.

I own both designs, bolt and lever, and both are good shooters. Just depends on how you want to use the rifle and how much you want to spend.

See ya,
Rod

Old 10-11-2007, 12:06 PM   #7

I think someone is out of the loop when it comes to leveraction rifles;
#1 , The Marlin lever guns often very accurate, some will do moa and better.
#2 The point about lever gun triggers being beyond help, I dont know about Winchester, but Wild West triggers are available from Midway USA and they will give the average Marlin a great chrisp 3lb or less trigger.
#3 I do agree that the Win 94 is much less accurate than most bolt guns, as I've had two and my daughter has one now and they tend to pattern moreso than group.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:43 PM   #8
Jay

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

when is the last time you looked at a bolt gun, and thought about history? Nice thing about shooting sports...... everyone can favor what they like.

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 11-28-2010, 10:43 PM   #9

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

Default The lever action of the marlin 25-36 and peep sight

Quote:
Originally Posted by fornra View Post
#1 , The Marlin lever guns often very accurate, some will do moa and better.
#2 The point about lever gun triggers being beyond help, I dont know about Winchester, but Wild West triggers are available from Midway USA and they will give the average Marlin a great chrisp 3lb or less trigger.
#3 I do agree that the Win 94 is much less accurate than most bolt guns, as I've had two and my daughter has one now and they tend to pattern moreso than group.
Here's my Marlin 25-36 lever action rifle with the fold-down "post" type peep sight - to show what this particular lever action looks like.

Do you think this trigger action can be modified?
marlin-1893-lever-action-.25-x-36-rifle-27-.jpg  

Old 11-28-2010, 10:52 PM   #10

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by fornra View Post
Maybe not precision shooting but I can nail pop cans at 50 yds all day long with my old top eject 94 winchester in 30-30 with iron sights. A deer at 100 yds. stands no chance

Last edited by Hawg; 11-28-2010 at 10:54 PM.