length of pull
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > length of pull

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

Default length of pull

How do you measure lop on a person without a gun in their hands? I think I'm close to 1/16" short of 14" but I want to be sure. Please help!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-13-2013, 01:32 PM   #2
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7152 Times on 4304 Posts
Likes Given: 8684

That's a very good question. I hope this answers it for you. Have a long gun that is the right length for you is very important, in my opinion.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/how-measure-your-length-pull-5551/

Old 05-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #3

Liked 118 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy420 View Post
How do you measure lop on a person without a gun in their hands? I think I'm close to 1/16" short of 14" but I want to be sure. Please help!
That reminds me of an old, old machinists' joke...

"Is that part up to spec?"

"It's about fifteen thousandths too long."

"That's what she said last night!"

It's a one size fits all joke... It doesn't matter if the item being discussed is too long or too short, or if it's off by six inches, or six thousandths of an inch.

Back on topic: I have a rifle that is too short in its LOP ( according to the recognized method for measuring such ) , noticeably shorter than my other rifles - but I have found that when shooting while standing up on my hind legs, that this too-short gun is the easiest one I have to shoot accurately with.

The firearm that is most sensitive to proper fitting and LOP issues is the shotgun. I was given a shotgun when I was fifteen that I never really was much of a wing-shot with. I assumed that the problem was on my end, and told folks that I just wasn't much of a wing-shooter.
Then, after decades of this, I accidentally wound up with another shotgun in a trade - and suddenly I discovered that I was quite skilled at wing-shooting, after all. I ended up doing some pretty fancy shooting with the new, unfamiliar shotgun.

At the shooting bench, LOP is not that critical but when you shoot a rifle from position, standing up or kneeling etc. - that's when you find out whether that particular gun-stock's dimensions are right for you.

This may explain, in part, why accurate guns at the shooting range sometimes fail to deliver useful accuracy in the field.

Kind Regards, Salvo

Last edited by Salvo; 05-13-2013 at 02:25 PM.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

I am very short and I find most long guns difficult to shoot.........until I held a youth model rifle. The difference was very noticeable. I believe a proper LOP makes a difference. Maybe not so much someone with longer arms shooting a shorter LOP, but a LOP that is too long makes for some very difficult shooting and almost impossible for proper use of a scope.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #5

How does the gun feel to you? Is it comfortable? Can you mount it to your shoulder rather easily and does it catch on your clothing? Is your thumb touching your nose (it shouldn't as there should be some distance between your thumb and nose so that your thumb does not whack your nose from recoil)? There is no magic formula. The link posted by Winds-of Change is a myth. That method does not work. If you walked around with and then fired the gun in the crook of your elbow, it might work, but most people I know fire the gun from their shoulder. In other words, stock fitting is by trial and error. What is right for one may not be right for another.
ct

Old 05-13-2013, 03:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I am very short and I find most long guns difficult to shoot.........until I held a youth model rifle. The difference was very noticeable. I believe a proper LOP makes a difference. Maybe not so much someone with longer arms shooting a shorter LOP, but a LOP that is too long makes for some very difficult shooting and almost impossible for proper use of a scope.
I have long arms - but one time I fired a WWII military rifle that somebody had put one of those pull-on recoil pads on, and it was way too long for me to shoot comfortably or accurately.

I pulled off the pull-on pad and suddenly, things were much better!

As others have mentioned, I'd much rather have one that is too short than one that is too long.

"That's what she said last night!"

Kind Regards, Salvo

Old 05-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
How does the gun feel to you? Is it comfortable? Can you mount it to your shoulder rather easily and does it catch on your clothing? Is your thumb touching your nose (it shouldn't as there should be some distance between your thumb and nose so that your thumb does not whack your nose from recoil)? There is no magic formula. The link posted by Winds-of Change is a myth. That method does not work. If you walked around with and then fired the gun in the crook of your elbow, it might work, but most people I know fire the gun from their shoulder. In other words, stock fitting is by trial and error. What is right for one may not be right for another.
ct
Good advice, there.

Kind Regards, Salvo

Old 05-13-2013, 03:25 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Winds, do you own an AR? What are some of the guns you own? I hope I am not being intrusive. I am short too. Only 5' 6 1/2". Some people made the mistake of seeing me as an easy target. I hope they do not make the same mistake with you.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:20 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
Winds, do you own an AR? What are some of the guns you own? I hope I am not being intrusive. I am short too. Only 5' 6 1/2". Some people made the mistake of seeing me as an easy target. I hope they do not make the same mistake with you.
What do you mean "seeing you as an easy target"? In case you don't know, I am female and I'm only 4'11". If you mean you've been seen as an easy target because of your height, I have not experienced that. But I guarantee you I've been seen as an easy target because of me being a single female. But that's a whole 'nother story. I don't own any long guns yet. I only have handguns. But I have shot many long guns and I can't shoulder them properly nor can I use the scope as I can't get in the right position to see into the scope of a rifle. I will have a Henry Lever Youth model very soon.

I wish I owned an AR. I want one very badly and someday I'll have the $$ to buy or build one. I was unemployed for several months, now my son is getting married in Jamaica and that has used up all my cash reserves. When I get back I have two installments of real estate taxes to pay..........the financial obligations go on and on and I never seem to have much extra money for buying new guns. In the meantime, I just have fun shooting other people's AR's and any other guns they will permit me to shoot.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 05-13-2013 at 04:22 PM.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5694 Times on 2973 Posts
Likes Given: 379

personally i prefer a shorter lop in most guns. makes swinging extreme left or right easy. on my ar15 i typically have the stock one click up from the shortest length.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 05-13-2013 at 04:39 PM.