Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   length of pull (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/length-pull-90607/)

randy420 05-13-2013 12:39 PM

length of pull

How do you measure lop on a person without a gun in their hands? I think I'm close to 1/16" short of 14" but I want to be sure. Please help!

winds-of-change 05-13-2013 01:32 PM

That's a very good question. I hope this answers it for you. Have a long gun that is the right length for you is very important, in my opinion.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/how-measure-your-length-pull-5551/

Salvo 05-13-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randy420 (Post 1245226)
How do you measure lop on a person without a gun in their hands? I think I'm close to 1/16" short of 14" but I want to be sure. Please help!

That reminds me of an old, old machinists' joke...

"Is that part up to spec?"

"It's about fifteen thousandths too long."

"That's what she said last night!"

It's a one size fits all joke... It doesn't matter if the item being discussed is too long or too short, or if it's off by six inches, or six thousandths of an inch.

Back on topic: I have a rifle that is too short in its LOP ( according to the recognized method for measuring such ) , noticeably shorter than my other rifles - but I have found that when shooting while standing up on my hind legs, that this too-short gun is the easiest one I have to shoot accurately with.

The firearm that is most sensitive to proper fitting and LOP issues is the shotgun. I was given a shotgun when I was fifteen that I never really was much of a wing-shot with. I assumed that the problem was on my end, and told folks that I just wasn't much of a wing-shooter.
Then, after decades of this, I accidentally wound up with another shotgun in a trade - and suddenly I discovered that I was quite skilled at wing-shooting, after all. I ended up doing some pretty fancy shooting with the new, unfamiliar shotgun.

At the shooting bench, LOP is not that critical but when you shoot a rifle from position, standing up or kneeling etc. - that's when you find out whether that particular gun-stock's dimensions are right for you.

This may explain, in part, why accurate guns at the shooting range sometimes fail to deliver useful accuracy in the field.

winds-of-change 05-13-2013 02:25 PM

I am very short and I find most long guns difficult to shoot.........until I held a youth model rifle. The difference was very noticeable. I believe a proper LOP makes a difference. Maybe not so much someone with longer arms shooting a shorter LOP, but a LOP that is too long makes for some very difficult shooting and almost impossible for proper use of a scope.

cottontop 05-13-2013 02:48 PM

How does the gun feel to you? Is it comfortable? Can you mount it to your shoulder rather easily and does it catch on your clothing? Is your thumb touching your nose (it shouldn't as there should be some distance between your thumb and nose so that your thumb does not whack your nose from recoil)? There is no magic formula. The link posted by Winds-of Change is a myth. That method does not work. If you walked around with and then fired the gun in the crook of your elbow, it might work, but most people I know fire the gun from their shoulder. In other words, stock fitting is by trial and error. What is right for one may not be right for another.
ct

Salvo 05-13-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change (Post 1245310)
I am very short and I find most long guns difficult to shoot.........until I held a youth model rifle. The difference was very noticeable. I believe a proper LOP makes a difference. Maybe not so much someone with longer arms shooting a shorter LOP, but a LOP that is too long makes for some very difficult shooting and almost impossible for proper use of a scope.

I have long arms - but one time I fired a WWII military rifle that somebody had put one of those pull-on recoil pads on, and it was way too long for me to shoot comfortably or accurately.

I pulled off the pull-on pad and suddenly, things were much better!

As others have mentioned, I'd much rather have one that is too short than one that is too long.

"That's what she said last night!"

Salvo 05-13-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cottontop (Post 1245329)
How does the gun feel to you? Is it comfortable? Can you mount it to your shoulder rather easily and does it catch on your clothing? Is your thumb touching your nose (it shouldn't as there should be some distance between your thumb and nose so that your thumb does not whack your nose from recoil)? There is no magic formula. The link posted by Winds-of Change is a myth. That method does not work. If you walked around with and then fired the gun in the crook of your elbow, it might work, but most people I know fire the gun from their shoulder. In other words, stock fitting is by trial and error. What is right for one may not be right for another.
ct

Good advice, there.

Jagermeister 05-13-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change (Post 1245310)

Winds, do you own an AR? What are some of the guns you own? I hope I am not being intrusive. I am short too. Only 5' 6 1/2". Some people made the mistake of seeing me as an easy target. I hope they do not make the same mistake with you.:eek:

winds-of-change 05-13-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jagermeister (Post 1245362)
Winds, do you own an AR? What are some of the guns you own? I hope I am not being intrusive. I am short too. Only 5' 6 1/2". Some people made the mistake of seeing me as an easy target. I hope they do not make the same mistake with you.:eek:

What do you mean "seeing you as an easy target"? In case you don't know, I am female and I'm only 4'11". If you mean you've been seen as an easy target because of your height, I have not experienced that. But I guarantee you I've been seen as an easy target because of me being a single female. But that's a whole 'nother story. I don't own any long guns yet. I only have handguns. But I have shot many long guns and I can't shoulder them properly nor can I use the scope as I can't get in the right position to see into the scope of a rifle. I will have a Henry Lever Youth model very soon.

I wish I owned an AR. I want one very badly and someday I'll have the $$ to buy or build one. I was unemployed for several months, now my son is getting married in Jamaica and that has used up all my cash reserves. When I get back I have two installments of real estate taxes to pay..........the financial obligations go on and on and I never seem to have much extra money for buying new guns. In the meantime, I just have fun shooting other people's AR's and any other guns they will permit me to shoot. :o

JonM 05-13-2013 04:28 PM

personally i prefer a shorter lop in most guns. makes swinging extreme left or right easy. on my ar15 i typically have the stock one click up from the shortest length.