Lending/borrowing - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Lending/borrowing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2012, 11:14 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

I'm very particular about my stuff, and how it's treated. So no, I don't loan them. I do let people shoot them, but only while I'm watching.

I'm just kind of a d..k that way.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:16 PM   #22

When I was a kid, about 16 or so, my Dad loaned one of MY guns to a co-worker of his to take out west (we lived in Michigan at the time) to hunt antelope w/ a bunch of this co-worker's friends. It was one of my prized hunting guns; a .243 M788 Remington w/ a 4X Weaver scope. I was furious. I did not know this guy and I'm sure my Dad did not know him well. But what could I do? I was only a kid. My dad was not a gun fancier, just an average small game hunter who only used shotguns. This 788 was beautiful w/ one of the original walnut stocks. It was brand new new w/ not a mark on it. The guy brought it back all scratched up as he boasted at how he crawled through the sage brush to stalk his antelope. I almost never forgave my Dad for doing that. It was stolen a few years after that so it became a moot point; but, I vowed never to loan a gun to anyone ever again. If I scratch it up, I will live with it. If someone else scratches it up, that would be hard to live with.
cottontop

Old 02-04-2012, 11:18 PM   #23

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

There are people I would loan a gun to under the right circumstances. I would be very particular.

NEVER FORGET

Old 02-04-2012, 11:49 PM   #24

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post
If your worried about them selling your/doing something stupid with your firearms, that can't be that trustworthy of a friend?
That may be true. And there are more than a couple of my relatives I wouldn't loan a nickel to. But what if you aren't particularly worried about the person? The cops showed up at my son's work one day and hauled off a guy that he considered a friend. He was just one of the guys. But he had felony warrants. Some bad ones. My son would have sworn he was the nicest guy around. Ask yourself just how much do you really truly know about some of your "friends".

Old 02-05-2012, 12:05 AM   #25

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin201

That may be true. And there are more than a couple of my relatives I wouldn't loan a nickel to. But what if you aren't particularly worried about the person? The cops showed up at my son's work one day and hauled off a guy that he considered a friend. He was just one of the guys. But he had felony warrants. Some bad ones. My son would have sworn he was the nicest guy around. Ask yourself just how much do you really truly know about some of your "friends".
That's ABSOLUTELY right. You just never know.

A guy I grew up with came to visit me shortly after I moved away from the small town in which we were raised. He stayed a full weekend, we went out to the bar a couple of times, chased some girls, played volleyball in the apt pool...all the things twenty-something guys do.

The day after he left, I find out from someone down home that he had been arrested (and was later convicted) of breaking into his neighbors house, then raping and assaulting her. She was 89 years old.

He did all this THE DAY BEFORE he showed up @ my apartment. He never showed any signs that he had just engaged in such inhuman behavior.

It still sickens me to think about it. This was a guy that I KNEW VERY WELL. His whole family, for that matter.

You just never know.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:39 AM   #26

Liked 43 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 21

This is an easy answer for me. I would never let anyone else use any of my firearms, period! There is simply no way I will let someone borrow one of my firearms and I don't care who it is. The only time I let someone borrow one of my guns, in this case my Model 94, it came back scratched up. If someone were to harm someone with one of your firearms, whether it be intentional or accidental, this would cause you a lot of grief one way or another. There would be some bad feelings to deal with. There is the issue of liability and possibly being sued. Your firearm might be confiscated and lost forever.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:05 AM   #27

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I have couple of friends I'd comfortable borrowing my guns, as I know these people are responsible enough and gun savvy enough not to mess up my guns and return them in the condition they got them. Anyone else but these few, NO, I would never give my guns to anyone.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:07 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 849 Times on 512 Posts
Likes Given: 182

Lender nor borrower be

Having said that, I stole my FIL 16g shotgun

Old 02-05-2012, 01:48 AM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I would (and have) let friends/family borrow a gun if I am there at the range with them. If I am not going to be there with the person, I would not let anyone borrow any of them, for multiple reasons. (The only exception might be my dad.)

Old 02-05-2012, 01:51 AM   #30

Liked 624 Times on 371 Posts
Likes Given: 1631

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido
Just wondering what your guys thoughts are when it comes to either lending out your own or borrowing someone else's firearms are?
I will lend mine out, but only to a select few of people! Besides I copy all nunbers and try to keep recipts. In arkansas its 25 yrs in prison for steeling guns. I think.