Left-side / Right-side Bolt preference

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Left-side / Right-side Bolt preference

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2011, 09:23 AM   #1
SoL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Left-side / Right-side Bolt preference

Hi there

I was fiddling with one of my inherited 22 BAs the other day and made a very whimsical realisation, its bolt was on the left side of it (may be post factory modification) while having a right handed cheek comb. I really really liked not having to take my trigger hand off the grip to cycle it.

I can see you have much more balance and hence an easier time holding the rifle up with your fore hand while cycling the bolt, however most shooters would be strong enough to compensate. I'd say the left side bolt would be obviously better when shooting from in prone, as most military/enforcement snipers would be.

Is there some kind of convention?
I've noticed some military bolt actions are left side and some are right, but is there some kind of ""Correct shooting technique"" that insists that cycling one way or the other is decisively ""better""?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-05-2011, 12:40 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, there's a reason why bolt guns are made to cycle with your firing hand......it works. I've never seen a centerfire rifle that's as light as a rimfire rifle, and therefore harder to hold to your shoulder with just your firing hand, and prone without a bipod would be a mess, your wanting to rest the muzzle on the ground, possibly clogging the muzzle. It's also a lot faster to cycle since your hand is half an inch from the bolt, verses a foot and a half. It's worked great for years, and if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:02 PM   #3

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Don't think i want a bolt on my left side-
I'm pretty fond of my left eye

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 08-05-2011, 02:16 PM   #4
SoL

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

all very fair points,

by prone yes I mean supported by beanbag/bipod/low wall as you do.
so there isn't a convention, just applicational sensibility i guess.

I guess the dude i got it off was a nichey person.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:57 PM   #5

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Well, hunting and off hand shooting aside for the moment, I have several bolt action bench rest guns with the bolt on the left side so that I dont have have to change my positioning and trigger hand while competing. The points made about hunting and offhand shooting are valid unless you happen to be left handed.

Bill
NRA Life Member

"Democracy is two wolves and one lamb voting what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote" Ben Franklin

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." --Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45

"It is God’s job to judge and forgive my enemy, I only arrange the meeting." Unidentified Marine

Old 08-05-2011, 06:07 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

[QUOTE=alxltd1;556550 I have several bolt action bench rest guns with the bolt on the left side so that I dont have have to change my positioning and trigger hand while competing. The points made about hunting and offhand shooting are valid unless you happen to be left handed.[/QUOTE]

I have seen several benchrest rifles with a right handed bolt and a left hand load and eject, which I really like.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:01 PM   #7

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake15 View Post
I have seen several benchrest rifles with a right handed bolt and a left hand load and eject, which I really like.
Yep Panda, Stolle and few other actions will give you the option of bolt and ejection port sides.

Bill
NRA Life Member

"Democracy is two wolves and one lamb voting what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote" Ben Franklin

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." --Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45

"It is God’s job to judge and forgive my enemy, I only arrange the meeting." Unidentified Marine

Old 08-06-2011, 03:15 AM   #8
SoL

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

yeah thats what i was thinking, about the benchrest logic.
i like the sound of having the option though, that's rather cool.