Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Left-side / Right-side Bolt preference (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/left-side-right-side-bolt-preference-46286/)

SoL 08-05-2011 09:23 AM

Left-side / Right-side Bolt preference

Hi there

I was fiddling with one of my inherited 22 BAs the other day and made a very whimsical realisation, its bolt was on the left side of it (may be post factory modification) while having a right handed cheek comb. I really really liked not having to take my trigger hand off the grip to cycle it.

I can see you have much more balance and hence an easier time holding the rifle up with your fore hand while cycling the bolt, however most shooters would be strong enough to compensate. I'd say the left side bolt would be obviously better when shooting from in prone, as most military/enforcement snipers would be.

Is there some kind of convention?
I've noticed some military bolt actions are left side and some are right, but is there some kind of ""Correct shooting technique"" that insists that cycling one way or the other is decisively ""better""?

Jake15 08-05-2011 12:40 PM

Well, there's a reason why bolt guns are made to cycle with your firing hand......it works. I've never seen a centerfire rifle that's as light as a rimfire rifle, and therefore harder to hold to your shoulder with just your firing hand, and prone without a bipod would be a mess, your wanting to rest the muzzle on the ground, possibly clogging the muzzle. It's also a lot faster to cycle since your hand is half an inch from the bolt, verses a foot and a half. It's worked great for years, and if it ain't broke don't fix it.

HOSSFLY 08-05-2011 01:02 PM

Don't think i want a bolt on my left side-
I'm pretty fond of my left eye :eek:

SoL 08-05-2011 02:16 PM

all very fair points,

by prone yes I mean supported by beanbag/bipod/low wall as you do.
so there isn't a convention, just applicational sensibility i guess.

I guess the dude i got it off was a nichey person.

alxltd1 08-05-2011 03:57 PM

Well, hunting and off hand shooting aside for the moment, I have several bolt action bench rest guns with the bolt on the left side so that I dont have have to change my positioning and trigger hand while competing. The points made about hunting and offhand shooting are valid unless you happen to be left handed.

Jake15 08-05-2011 06:07 PM

[QUOTE=alxltd1;556550 I have several bolt action bench rest guns with the bolt on the left side so that I dont have have to change my positioning and trigger hand while competing. The points made about hunting and offhand shooting are valid unless you happen to be left handed.[/QUOTE]

I have seen several benchrest rifles with a right handed bolt and a left hand load and eject, which I really like.

alxltd1 08-05-2011 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake15 (Post 556611)
I have seen several benchrest rifles with a right handed bolt and a left hand load and eject, which I really like.

Yep Panda, Stolle and few other actions will give you the option of bolt and ejection port sides.

SoL 08-06-2011 03:15 AM

yeah thats what i was thinking, about the benchrest logic.
i like the sound of having the option though, that's rather cool.