Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Left handed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 11:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Left handed

Just inherited a savage model 112 heavy stainless barreled .300 wig mag but its left handed. Would like to keep it bein it was passed to me. I seen where some marine snipers prefer using a left handed gun and still shoot right handed. Any feedback would be helpful

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-31-2012, 11:04 PM   #2

Liked 252 Times on 172 Posts

You will get used to it. I shoot lefty and have never even handled a lefthanded gun...haha. ..... Or just pass it onto a lucky lefty friend

Old 12-31-2012, 11:04 PM   #3

Liked 200 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 434

I am left handed and have never owned a left handed gun, when I use bolt actions I use right handed ones that I have available and I am using them in a situation where I can take a careful rest and make a good shot and generally won't need to jack a shell in and make a second shot in a hurry. I find this is especially true with the heavy barrel guns, you are usually shooting off a bench or something trying to make more precision shots, as opposed to carrying it through the woods shooting at fast moving game where additional shots may be required.

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

Old 12-31-2012, 11:44 PM   #4

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Left hand people like myself have used right handed guns forever. I really don't see a problem.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 12-31-2012, 11:47 PM   #5
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 990 Times on 565 Posts
Likes Given: 440

As long as the stock is ambidextrous,it doesn't matter which way the rifle is shot.
I'm right handed but shoot left handed,I shoot both LH and RH rifles. I prefer to shoot LH rifles,but own many RH rifles that don't happen to come in LH so I just buy them anyway.
Your Savage should be a very accurate rifle.If it's in a factory tupperware stock,it'll beat you to death,but in a good quality stock they are very nice to shoot.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:02 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the input. It is greatly appreciated. Txhillbilly where would be a good place to find a good stock for it because like you said. It does have the Tupperware stock on it

Old 01-02-2013, 12:12 AM   #7
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 990 Times on 565 Posts
Likes Given: 440

bushmaster74,I sent you a PM with some stock info.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:07 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1251 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 666

I am left eye dominate so I shoot my long guns LH. I have noticed when I was 'sniping' I was firing from a prone/supported position most of the time. When In that environment I could stay on target and fire more accurately and faster because I never had to take my hand off the trigger (this is using a RH bolt), but while hunting and not having the option of always being in a supported firing position the LH bolt is much superior.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!