Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Lee Enfield scope mounts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2010, 03:30 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
It is a No1Mk2*.

I have an S&K mount on a sporterized No4Mk1 and it has been rock solid. Not sure if S&K still offers the mount featured in the post above, though.
I thought during the 1st World war the 303 British was a #3 and the next evelution was The #4 and its variantsI, II,II* and III. I assumed that being made in 1942 that this would be a #4.
For my own Knowlage M14 could you educate me one the #1 I'm not knowlageable on this thanks?
F.K.
P.S. Is the #1 a civilan version?

Thats why they call it hunting and not grocery shopping

Last edited by Fisherking; 10-21-2010 at 03:33 PM.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:09 PM   #12

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
I thought during the 1st World war the 303 British was a #3 and the next evelution was The #4 and its variantsI, II,II* and III. I assumed that being made in 1942 that this would be a #4.
For my own Knowlage M14 could you educate me one the #1 I'm not knowlageable on this thanks?
F.K.
P.S. Is the #1 a civilan version?
The WW1 version (With the stock ending in a blunt muzzle end) was most commonly the No1Mk3. The round bridge over the receiver in his pics gives that away. The close up shows that it is actually not a No1Mk3, but a No1MkII*. But the same rifle, essentially.

The No4Mk1 (and their variants) were developed prior to WW2. These are the ones that have the 2" stub of the barrel protruding from the end of the stock. They typically had the spike bayonet instead of the long blade bayonet of the No1 family (there were a couple of blade bayos avail for the No4, but they are uncommon). No4's were cheaper to manufacture that the older No1 family. The No1's stayed in production through the 1970's, though.

No4's had the receiver mounted aperature sights, while the No1's had the notch rear sights mounted on the barrel.

Many, many subtle variations evolved over the years and Enfields can become fun to collect. They are still very reasonably priced, and good deals can be found.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 10-21-2010, 05:31 PM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Cool ! Thanks M14 for the quick reply. Asking Questions is the only way to get educated.
F.K.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
Cool ! Thanks M14 for the quick reply. Asking Questions is the only way to get educated.
F.K.
My pleas, FK. My info was the "short form" version. Peter Laidler is THE authority on Enfields. Read some of the articles he has written if you want the "long form" version.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 10-21-2010, 06:22 PM   #15

Liked 200 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 162

FK, that M14 guy is a pretty fart smeller..... uhhhh, I mean he knows his smellies...... uhhhhh, never mind.

One of my No1Mk3 for comparison:

Old 10-21-2010, 06:28 PM   #16

I sold my No1Mk3 to a friend a few months ago, but still have my No4Mk1(T).

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

Old 10-21-2010, 06:31 PM   #17

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
I sold my No1Mk3 to a friend a few months ago, but still have my No4Mk1(T).
Thats a sniper is it not?
Is the scop matched to the gun ? I herd some were that they had to match the scope to the gun. I can tell ya I'm drooling.
That is beautifull.
F.K.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:38 PM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
FK, that M14 guy is a pretty fart smeller..... uhhhh, I mean he knows his smellies...... uhhhhh, never mind.

One of my No1Mk3 for comparison:

Ahh +1 on that I think.
I'm always amazed by the whelth of knowlage on this Forum.
I love guns but there is always a special place for the guns that have kept a man or woman nowdays companion in the heat of things to which he or she relied on to keep themselves or his buddies alive.
Regards Fisher King

Old 10-21-2010, 06:39 PM   #19

Liked 200 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 162

OMG!!! Dude - you've been hold'in out on us.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:44 PM   #20

It is the Sniper (T). Not all the scopes were numbered to the rifles, so I don't know if mine is original. It does not have any import marks, and the condition is exdellent.

It was missing the cover plate when I got it, but a friend hooked me up with the plate and screws, so now it is complete. I've taken it out twice and it is a hoot to shoot. Last time was about 6 weeks ago. I dialed it in, and then proceeded to make first round hits on steel from 100-600 yards, using PPU.

I need to focus the reticule a bit, and am hoping it does not need to go to the UK for that.

Enfields get a bum rap with lots of "shooters" but the No1Mk4(T) is considered the finest sniper rifle of WW2. And for a battle rifle, the Enfield was tops. 10rd capacity, fastest bolt action, simple design. Someone who knows how to use an Enfield can keep up a rate of aimed fire comparable to the average shooter with a semi auto. Chuck Taylor once did a demo with a No5 JC and a 50 yard pepper popper. He put a round into the center of the plate, worked the action and fired a second round onto the same plate before it fell. Try that with any other bolt action and let me know how you fare.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI