Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Lee Enfield question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/lee-enfield-question-105851/)

hybridfiat 04-05-2014 04:01 AM

Lee Enfield question
 
Hi Ive just joined. I was a gunsmith from 1992 to 1997 and have 'dabbled' since.
I recently acquired an unmarked No4 (Savage 1942) from a friend who bought it 32 years ago. He bought it and 250 MkVII rounds (also 1942) to defend himself from crocs in Northern Queensland when he and his wife made landfall in their yacht and needed fresh water. He gave it to me for a carton of beer. It was good beer I made sure of that but thats still a bargain.
It has a bore that is unworn but rough. He only ever fired 3 shots out of it 32 odd years ago but didnt know to pour boiling water down the bore after. It scared him so he never shot it again, just oiled it well and wrapped it up.
No deep corrosion just a micro pitted surface, like a parkerised finish.
It seems to shoot well. I shot a couple of 5 shot 1.75" at 100yds with the fine peep sights yesterday but it picks up a lot of bore fouling.
Would hand lapping with a bore-cast lap help?
I have bismuth based chamber casting alloy and fine lapping compound.

Franklin1995 04-05-2014 04:14 AM

Let me be the first to say welcome to the forums :) I have no idea how to answer your question, but I'm sure someone that does will be along soon. You'll probably have to give them a few hours though, most of them are probably asleep right now (it's 0012 on the East coast). I've got a question for you though... you're still allowed to own guns in Australia? :p

Franklin

303tom 04-05-2014 04:27 AM

Welcome aboard, just shoot the heck out of it, the bore will straighten up after a 100 rounds or so............

hybridfiat 04-05-2014 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franklin1995 (Post 1549921)
Let me be the first to say welcome to the forums :) I have no idea how to answer your question, but I'm sure someone that does will be along soon. You'll probably have to give them a few hours though, most of them are probably asleep right now (it's 0012 on the East coast). I've got a question for you though... you're still allowed to own guns in Australia? :p

Franklin

Yes, but only for now. The 'fascists' are out to get us legal shooters while conveniently ignoring the illegal weapons.
It costs $179 just to add 1 gun to a license plus the license costs $54/year to renew.
Bastards!

hairbear1 04-05-2014 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hybridfiat (Post 1549968)
Yes, but only for now. The 'fascists' are out to get us legal shooters while conveniently ignoring the illegal weapons.
It costs $179 just to add 1 gun to a license plus the license costs $54/year to renew.
Bastards!


Fellas this is in Western Australia where they to say the least have the worst firearms laws in the country.
Here in New South Wales it costs me $30 per rifle/shotgun to get a rifle/shotgun put in my name. We have 4 different categories of firearms we can get licenses for and we can't own automatic weapons. Semi autos we can have but must have a valid reason for doing so and these generally go to farmers or those who specifically do vermin control.
We can own handguns but aren't allowed to hunt or carry them but can only use them for target shooting.

We are in the fight of our lives to retain our guns as the anti's and the Parasitic Greens want guns banned altogether except in the hands of the Police or Army.

You Yanks just don't realise how lucky your are to be allowed the guns that you are allowed to have and use.

Don't give an inch to the dirty mongrels because then they'll want more tell them to go and have intercourse with a porcupine.

hybridfiat 04-05-2014 01:22 PM

Ive shot off a few of the rounds he got with the rifle. About 60 so far. Interesting to say the least, some failed to fire. Others (a good many) were fractional hangfires. So Im getting practice at keeping the sights on target and follow through. They are accurate however.
Ive loaded 10 commercial cases with 39gns ADI 2206 and Hornady 150gn SP. Ill give them a bash next week.

Franklin1995 04-05-2014 01:51 PM

When they failed to fire, were the primers indented completely?

TLuker 04-05-2014 09:12 PM

Get a can of JB Bore Cleaner and follow the directions. It will remove all the copper fouling from the barrel. If your barrel is really rough then clean with normal solvent after every third shot and then repeat with JB after 12 shots. Don't use the JB again until you have fired a few hundred rounds (it's strong stuff). That's basically my break in procedure for new rifles but it works on old ones also. The first time I ever tried that procedure was on my 1942 Longbranch No4. I was so amazed at how well it worked for improving the accuracy of that rifle that I've used it religiously every since to break in all of my new rifles. I can't say for certain if it helps a new rifle because it's new, but I do know for certain what it did for my .303! :)

hairbear1 04-05-2014 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hybridfiat (Post 1550036)
Ive shot off a few of the rounds he got with the rifle. About 60 so far. Interesting to say the least, some failed to fire. Others (a good many) were fractional hangfires. So Im getting practice at keeping the sights on target and follow through. They are accurate however.
Ive loaded 10 commercial cases with 39gns ADI 2206 and Hornady 150gn SP. Ill give them a bash next week.

I've got a Mk3 No.1 with a heavy barrel and I load 45.5gn of AR2209 with a 180gn Sierra Pro Hunter projectile for 2" groups at 100yds off the bench...........if I do my bit.

With the military stuff I like to try and use the same weight pill that they were originally designed with(174gn) so that it matches accuracy performances of the original although I did own a Parker Hale .303 commercial that was basically a No.4 action in a commercial stock from the factory that I used 150gn pills on pigs and goats with great success.

TLuker 04-05-2014 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hairbear1 (Post 1550440)
I've got a Mk3 No.1 with a heavy barrel and I load 45.5gn of AR2209 with a 180gn Sierra Pro Hunter projectile for 2" groups at 100yds off the bench...........if I do my bit.

With the military stuff I like to try and use the same weight pill that they were originally designed with(174gn) so that it matches accuracy performances of the original although I did own a Parker Hale .303 commercial that was basically a No.4 action in a commercial stock from the factory that I used 150gn pills on pigs and goats with great success.

That explains a lot! I've always shot my best with 175gr bullets but I haven't been able to find any in years so I use 180gr bullets instead. :)


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:38 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.