Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Leader 50 BMG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2011, 07:38 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I wasn't really meaning something like 1000 round rapid fire or anything off the wall like that. I'd like to know stuff like how long the expected barrel life is, can it perform adequately in sandy or wet conditions. Typical things the military might look at if they were interested.
I mean sure if you've got an extra 1000 rounds of 50bmg and a volunteer rifle and a soul brave enough to turn his shoulder into jello, go for it. I sure wouldn't mind watching

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:48 AM   #32

Black Talon,

I understand a reflex suppressor has been designed for the Leader 50. If so, what type of muzzle brake / attachment configuration is being used? What is size and weight of can? How does it effect the perceived recoil?

I shoot my McBros Tac-50 with an AAC Cyclops and would love to use it on the Leader also. Any chance of testing Leader with Cyclops if I provide the brake/suppressor?

Here is a picture of Leader 50 prototype being held by a very little (4' 10") girl for size comparison and video link of suppressed Tac-50. Any update on production status?

I am the guy who "won" the (popular gun auction site) prepay auction that your Dad saved me from losing a 4k deposit on. Thanks again Mr. St. George!

JerryT

http://youtu.be/EfppnTrjqiQ?t=43s

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. " --George Orwell—

Last edited by Jerrytofdallas; 06-03-2011 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Bad Link

Old 06-11-2011, 02:35 AM   #33

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrytofdallas View Post
Black Talon,

I understand a reflex suppressor has been designed for the Leader 50. If so, what type of muzzle brake / attachment configuration is being used? What is size and weight of can? How does it effect the perceived recoil?
A Reflex suppressor has not been designed for the Leader 50. We’re designing and developing our own.

Quote:
I shoot my McBros Tac-50 with an AAC Cyclops and would love to use it on the Leader also.
You can.

Quote:
Any chance of testing Leader with Cyclops if I provide the brake/suppressor?
We don’t provide that service.

The Leader 50 is already equipped with the most effective muzzle brake available on the market.

Quote:
Any update on production status?
A limited run is scheduled for October/November.

If you wish to place an order, you can go to MICOR Defense directly.

“When a man with a .45 meets a man with a rifle, you said the man with the pistol’s a dead man. Let’s see if that’s true.”

Old 06-11-2011, 03:30 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Talon View Post
A Reflex suppressor has not been designed....
Appreciate your succinct answers to all my questions. Like your signature line, reminds me of another Eastwood favorite of mine "You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig." - I’ve often wondered how long poor Tuco would have lasted on that cross.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. " --George Orwell—

Last edited by Jerrytofdallas; 06-12-2011 at 07:18 AM.

Old 06-11-2011, 04:19 AM   #35

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

sup black talon welcome... I wonder what the recoil is on that thing, how long is the barrel and what the grouping at 1000 yards?

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 07-02-2011, 11:41 PM   #36

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

whats the cost of shooting that BEAST?

Old 07-03-2011, 06:08 PM   #37

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmille01 View Post
sup black talon welcome... I wonder what the recoil is on that thing, how long is the barrel and what the grouping at 1000 yards?
If you can handle a .308/.30-06 auto, you can handle this; 24 inches; when that and other information is available it will be posted on the MICOR Defense website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf101 View Post
whats the cost of shooting that BEAST?
MSRP is $6,800.

“When a man with a .45 meets a man with a rifle, you said the man with the pistol’s a dead man. Let’s see if that’s true.”

Old 07-30-2011, 09:12 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
The Barrett M82 is the conventional, semi auto .50 cal sniper rifle used by the military for quite awhile now. It weighs 30 pounds unloaded, it's 57 inches long and it sports a 29" barrel.

Essentially the thing is a boat anchor to carry around. You can't move quickly from one spot to another in today's urban sniping environment. Unless you are Robo, this thing isn't really a one man weapon. Or if it is, that person needs to have one or two guys for protection while he is lugging it and his ammo from and to position.

Snipers just don't hold up on a roof top for days on end with the ebb and flow of the urban battlefield. They still do that once they hold an area, but when the troops are sweeping and clearing new areas, the "over-watch" has to be liquid. Able to move and get into position to provide rounds on target quickly.

With a bullpup design, the overall weapon is smaller, lighter and quicker. The weight of the weapon is moved more over the pistol grip, which makes it easier to swing onto target. Faster application time from place to place. You can lay it across the hood of the Humvee, take a shot or three, jump back in and beat feet to a new locale.

Try that with 30 pounds of metal that's front heavy and almost 5 feet long.

JD
Directly on point. Those M82's are no joke when it comes to weight and lugging them around is a giant pain. I can most certainly see the conventional design of this gun.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:52 PM   #39

Default Leader 50

Black Talon,

Had the opportunity recently to talk with your father about the Leader 50. He is a real gentleman and his knowledge of the firearms industry is extensive. Based on our discussions, he may be looking into testing some match grade 50 BMG ammo specifically designed for semi-auto rifles vs. the match grade stuff used in bolt action repeaters which tends not to cycle as well in semi-auto mode. If you could update as to accuracy with the Leader 50 using both standard ball ammo and the match grade ammo that would be appreciated as well as any update on price/availability. regards, Dale.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:04 PM   #40
GY6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Talon View Post
The Leader 50 BMG semi-automatic rifle — as seen at the 2011 SHOT Show — will be manufactured by MICOR Industries, Inc. of Decatur, Alabama. Its fate is unaffected by the collapse of Sabre Defence Industries.

Defense Review article on the Leader 50 BMG.

We also expect next month’s issue of Shooting Illustrated to contain a write-up.

I’m the son of the designer, Charles St. George, whose other small arms include the Leader T2 MK5 and Bushmaster M17S — the first rifles to use a triangular bolt and aluminum extruded receiver, respectively.

I was at the unveiling of the Leader 50 at the Sabre Defence booth in January, where I met Dillinger and Dzscubie.

I intend for this thread to be ongoing. All updates regarding the Leader 50 will be posted here.
WOW! I would have never thought of a Bullpup designed 50.BMG...This is an amazing idea, my hat is off to your father for coming up with this design.
To think about all the possibilities of a compact 50. BMG rifle! I would like to get the specs on this rifle, is there a site I can go to to see all of its details?

-GY6vids @ www.youtube.com/GY6vids