Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Leader 50 BMG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2011, 11:24 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
IOW, why a bullpup design? Is it designed for closer engagements with armored targets or what?

Dumb it down for me a bit, please. (I'm not being sarcastic; i'm just a lil ignorant in this area)
The Barrett M82 is the conventional, semi auto .50 cal sniper rifle used by the military for quite awhile now. It weighs 30 pounds unloaded, it's 57 inches long and it sports a 29" barrel.

Essentially the thing is a boat anchor to carry around. You can't move quickly from one spot to another in today's urban sniping environment. Unless you are Robo, this thing isn't really a one man weapon. Or if it is, that person needs to have one or two guys for protection while he is lugging it and his ammo from and to position.

Snipers just don't hold up on a roof top for days on end with the ebb and flow of the urban battlefield. They still do that once they hold an area, but when the troops are sweeping and clearing new areas, the "over-watch" has to be liquid. Able to move and get into position to provide rounds on target quickly.

With a bullpup design, the overall weapon is smaller, lighter and quicker. The weight of the weapon is moved more over the pistol grip, which makes it easier to swing onto target. Faster application time from place to place. You can lay it across the hood of the Humvee, take a shot or three, jump back in and beat feet to a new locale.

Try that with 30 pounds of metal that's front heavy and almost 5 feet long.

JD

Old 03-02-2011, 12:32 PM   #22
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2344 Times on 1171 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Black Talon,

Welcome to the FTF!
I have had the pleasure of meeting and speaking with your father at shot and in the past. Since Tennessee is also my home. He is a remarkable weapons designer. As far as the Leader 50 It is very well balanced as Dillinger stated. It is versatile and not to heavy for a single person to transport. In fact with a good sling it would balance very well during movements. I had the pleasure of spending some time in the booth at Shot and handled the weapon on various occasions. To say the least I was very impressed with it. Hopefully will get to fire it some day in the future.
Once again~ WELCOME!

Old 05-19-2011, 08:57 PM   #23

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Update: Oleg Volk photographed the Leader 50 on May 18.

“When a man with a .45 meets a man with a rifle, you said the man with the pistol’s a dead man. Let’s see if that’s true.”

Old 05-20-2011, 04:09 AM   #24

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I've been intrigued with the bullpup design for some time now.

You going to do a range report?

Old 05-20-2011, 05:03 AM   #25

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What's the weight of this compared to the Barrett M82A1 or M107A1?
And can I ask why why they didnt use the newer cylindrical muzzle brake rather than the older arrow style? I figure the newer style could reduce overall weight, but I'm not certain if it would be as effective reducing muzzle climb. As much research as Barrett put into it I'm guessing they newer style comes close or rivals it.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:11 AM   #26

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
I've been intrigued with the bullpup design for some time now.

You going to do a range report?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzai View Post
What's the weight of this compared to the Barrett M82A1 or M107A1?
The Leader 50 is 17 lb (7.7 kg).

According to the Barrett website, the M82A1/M107A1 is 30.9 lb (14 kg).

Quote:
And can I ask why why they didnt use the newer cylindrical muzzle brake rather than the older arrow style?
Because it’s less effective.

Quote:
I figure the newer style could reduce overall weight, but I'm not certain if it would be as effective reducing muzzle climb. As much research as Barrett put into it I'm guessing they newer style comes close or rivals it.
If it were equally effective, the M107A1 (which is operated by short recoil) would not cycle.

“When a man with a .45 meets a man with a rifle, you said the man with the pistol’s a dead man. Let’s see if that’s true.”

Old 05-20-2011, 09:48 AM   #27

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That's a hell of a weight loss for a 50bmg, very nice. Has the gun undergone any torture tests of any sort other than typical manufacturing proofing?

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:12 AM   #28

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Why are people so infatuated with Torture Tests of firearms.

Who would rapid fire hundreds or thousands of 50bmg rounds in the first place?

Old 05-20-2011, 01:13 PM   #29
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5475 Times on 2861 Posts
Likes Given: 355

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Why are people so infatuated with Torture Tests of firearms.

Who would rapid fire hundreds or thousands of 50bmg rounds in the first place?
I like em cuz it lends credence to claims of reliability and strength.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-20-2011, 01:21 PM   #30

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

To me all it really proves is that the person doing them is an idiot. But OK sure it proves reliability and all that mumbojumbo.