Leader 50 BMG - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Leader 50 BMG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2011, 04:57 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Great looking gun! When I graduate, and if I get a signing bonus, this'll be top 10 things to spend it on. Absolutely awesome looking gun, and I'm sure it shoots as well as it looks.

However, a few guys and I were discussing the merits and drawbacks of a large, precision bullpup and a few questions came up and was hoping you could clear them up. First of all, how is the quality of the trigger? My friend's main concern with bullpups is the lack of a quality trigger feel due to extending the trigger mechanism so far backwards. Secondly, what is the critical length of a barrel on 50BMG? That is to say, at what point does extra barrel become a detriment instead of a benefit to shooting?

Old 02-28-2011, 05:04 AM   #12

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

So Black Talon what is the price on this little beauty? I love the look of that little girl.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:07 AM   #13

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Talon View Post
It’s $2,000 less than the competition; I think that’s low enough considering what it is.
My comment was reserved for the members that started the thread off in a negative light. I was referring to the level of their posts, not the price of the weapon itself.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:06 PM   #14

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorzamora View Post
Great looking gun! When I graduate, and if I get a signing bonus, this'll be top 10 things to spend it on.
Glad to hear it!

Quote:
However, a few guys and I were discussing the merits and drawbacks of a large, precision bullpup and a few questions came up and was hoping you could clear them up. First of all, how is the quality of the trigger?
Good.

Quote:
My friend's main concern with bullpups is the lack of a quality trigger feel due to extending the trigger mechanism so far backwards.
The Leader has a single-stage trigger that engages a linear hammer system; it does not have the linkage problem that some bullpups do.

Quote:
Secondly, what is the critical length of a barrel on 50BMG? That is to say, at what point does extra barrel become a detriment instead of a benefit to shooting?
The Leader 50 will be available with a 24- and 28-inch barrel. Most .50 BMG rifles do not have a barrel length in excess of 29.

According to Hatcher’s Notebook (p. 399), the difference in muzzle velocity between a 30- and 32-inch barrel on an M2 Browning machine gun is a mere 28.1 feet per second.

Based on this, I would say that a length of >32 inches is unnecessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctherock View Post
So Black Talon what is the price on this little beauty? I love the look of that little girl.
MSRP is $6,800.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
My comment was reserved for the members that started the thread off in a negative light. I was referring to the level of their posts, not the price of the weapon itself.
Ah, my mistake.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:20 PM   #15

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Welcome Black Talon!! Can't wait for a vid of this being taken for a run at the range!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:22 PM   #16

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Glad to have you here. I look forward to seeing this thread unfold. It looks like one hell of a design.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:34 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

OK, i'm nothing near a rifle expert (barely rifle literate), so i am wondering about the advantage of a bullpup design with a round that seems most advantageous at longer distances. IOW, why a bullpup design? Is it designed for closer engagements with armored targets or what?

Dumb it down for me a bit, please. (I'm not being sarcastic; i'm just a lil ignorant in this area)

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 02-28-2011 at 10:45 PM.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:36 PM   #18

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Welcome, BT! I'll have to forget replacing my truck and save for this instead.
I know some of the members in the high stress retail security operator biz will want this to guard the food court near them as well!

Old 02-28-2011, 11:46 PM   #19

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
OK, i'm nothing near a rifle expert (barely rifle literate), so i am wondering about the advantage of a bullpup design with a round that seems most advantageous at longer distances. IOW, why a bullpup design? Is it designed for closer engagements with armored targets or what?

Dumb it down for me a bit, please. (I'm not being sarcastic; i'm just a lil ignorant in this area)
It makes the 50 BMG a one man rifle.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-01-2011, 12:16 AM   #20

Liked 90 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Welcome Black Talon, would love to see a video of this in action. A 50 cal. bullpup design is very interesting indeed.

Jim.......

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alvord-Limited-Custom-gunsmithing/637828296334671?ref=bookmarks