Lead Sled for fine sighting? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Lead Sled for fine sighting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 01:11 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1232 Times on 794 Posts
Likes Given: 2493

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubZero View Post
Bigger impact, longer distance. Looking for a solid spread, so from a .270 up to a 300 WSM, I thought I would be well covered for just about anything I might normally encounter, including varying distances at the range.

Also, when I bought my Tikka T3 Lite some years back, they had the specific gun I wanted in stock and ready to go.

In the years since, GI Joes was bought and then went out of business (bad new management group) and then we had 2 Cabela's open up in our state and I can go there to make purchases. They have a much, much broader selection and can order just about anything you want.

So, all this to say, I would have perhaps made a different choice had Cabela's been an option. But I have what I have. And I am accurate with the 300WSM, just not as consistent as I would like to be. Gotta work on that Flinch problem I have. Part of it may because I'm shooting at a range to sight it in and other rifles are going off all around me. Not sure.

But I will keep working on it. That's half the fun of gaining experience and becoming a better, more mature shooter. Practice.
The .270 will do 95% of everything you would want to do with a center fire rifle, and the .300 will handle the rest. So you are well covered. You also have a lot more experience now that you have those two than before so don't sweat it.

In the future you might want to consider something like a 7mm-08? It's got great ballistics and will also do 95% of everything you would want to do with a center fire, and it's a pleasure to shoot.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:14 AM   #22

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
In the future you might want to consider something like a 7mm-08? It's got great ballistics and will also do 95% of everything you would want to do with a center fire, and it's a pleasure to shoot.
I could see myself buying a .22 plinker to help introduce my wife to range work, a .308 just to say I have one so all the snipers can chill out about it, and perhaps actually allow myself to buy my dream rifle:

A Uberti 1860 Henry 24.25" Brass .44/40

That's the rifle that Tom Selleck used in Last Stand at Saber River, minus the awesome engraving he had put on it prior to filming.

I don't care if I actually hit anything with that rifle, it would just be so that I could look cool holding it.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:20 PM   #23

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Anything that inhibits free recoil is gonna put stresses on bedding and scope(if equipped).I've trashed stock bedding...if you can call it that,duh.....on cheap synthetic stocked,"budget" rifles.Shooting steady diets of wide open loads and this has been with NO mechanical recoil reducers.IOWs,just my shoulder.And it happens way quicker than folks want to believe.

So,any added reducers,sleds,weights,whatevers......basically anything that slows the rifle down acts on the bedding,scope,mounts.Obviously YMMV.

I would strongly suggest anyone even remotely thinking of a lead sled to simply get a nice medium priced fr rest.....and a sandbag rr.You can be well outfitted for less than 200$.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:06 PM   #24

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I shoot the 300 wsm tikka with limb saver just like you. The tikka is so light it has a little more recoil than other guns of same caliber. But it is great for packing back in the hills. To get over the flinch, I bought two boxes of ammo and shot them both in just over a week. It got me real comfortable with the rifle. I also shoot every time before I go hunting to make sure I'm on and still comfortable. Good luck, and good choice on the rifle

Old 10-19-2012, 12:58 AM   #25

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I've done some more work using sandbags on the rear support of the rifle and find that it seems to work pretty well, and there is enough "give" to ensure that the rifle won't get damaged as mentioned above.

I do wish the ammo for the 300 WSM was not so darn spendy though. I'd rather just shoot that Tikka T3 Lite all day instead of the Remington 700 ADL 270. The Titkka has such a completely smooth action by comparison that it's just a joy to use on the range.

I'd say the Remington feels clunky but solid, while the Tikka T3 feels smooth but not obviously rugged.

But since .270 ammo is so much less expensive, I'll probably spend more time working with the Remington on the range.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:50 PM   #26

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

I use a bench, front sandbag, and a rear beanbag; for load development.
Any other shooting is done in field positions; using items I will either bring to the field, or find in the field.
That is how one becomes a marksman.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:14 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2039 Times on 1067 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kid View Post
Any other shooting is done in field positions; using items I will either bring to the field, or find in the field.
I am in agreement. I practice resting my stock on my hunting backpack. 'Cause that's how it's gonna be when it's time to shoot "for real"

Old 10-19-2012, 09:43 PM   #28

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kid View Post
I was primarily talking about sighting in a rifle.

As for being a marksman, I'm nowhere near that - I'm trying to get to the "decent target shooter" stage. I need to walk before I can run.

Computer keyboard typing skills unfortunately do not lead to rock-steady hand and stabilizer muscles on the range, so I'll just keep practicing. Hopefully, I'll improve and be able to take that next step.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:21 PM   #29

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubZero View Post
I was primarily talking about sighting in a rifle.
I am also... as an example...
I have taken 4 shots with this Win94 since I've mounted a Williams FP on it; these 3 videos show each of those shots taken.

That is 4 shots to get a 350 yard zero using field positions. Know, understand, and employ the fundamentals of precision rifle technique, then believe in your ability.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:31 PM   #30

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

If I'm ever out in the field hunting, I'm very likely to use a front support (sandbags, log, tripod, etc) but no rear support. I've become proficient at that even with the hefty 300 WSM 180 grain setup on the Tikka.

But the focus on this thread is for SIGHTING IN the rifle initially. For that, I want the scope to match the barrel / resulting paper strike, and I want that to be as accurate as I can get it based upon the brand / type of ammo I'm using.

That way, I know that my gun is accurate, that the "X" on the scope means my bullets will go where I expect them to go.

THEN I can work on forming the good behavior / habits / skills to get my body to stay as close to that accurate setup as possible.

Practice, Practice, Practice, all while knowing the rifle itself is spot-on.