Lead Sled for fine sighting?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Lead Sled for fine sighting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 06:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Lead Sled for fine sighting?

Up to now with my 300wsm I've been sticking to Bore Sighting, just for getting used to the rifle and all on the range.

There seem to be a lot of variables involved, such as flinch, how much caffeine I've had that day (grin) and how cold it is outside, but generally even with Bore Sighting I get 20 shots in a 5"-6" range with half a dozen bullseyes with 180 grain Winchester X.

But I've been wondering, would it be worth using a Lead Sled to help provide some fine sighting for that rifle?

Or would that not really help much given the punch the rifle has when fired?

Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1215 Times on 682 Posts
Likes Given: 513

I like to use a sled just to take all of the variables you mentioned out of the equation. Once I know for sure the bullet hits where I want it to, I switch to just sand bags for practice. I deer hunt quite a bit in shooting houses, so shooting off a sand bag is closer to actual hunting condition.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #3
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1220 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 587

When shooting rifles with a fair amount of felt recoil,a Lead Sled will really help you sight in your scope.Your rifle may or may not shoot that particular ammo well,sometimes you have to find what the gun likes to shoot.It may be a different brand/type of bullet/or weight of the bullet.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:47 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9132 Times on 3945 Posts
Likes Given: 1423

As long as first shot is on paper, I can usually zero in 3 shots max, using the sled. First shot, come back to initial point of aim, check point of impact, adjust, fire (usually on), adjust if needed, fire to confirm.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 10-07-2012, 02:35 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1302 Times on 846 Posts
Likes Given: 2721

I don't think the led sleds help that much other than confidence (except for maybe a gun that kicks the snot out of you)? I use to question my results when shooting and like most I would wonder how much of my group spread was me and how much was the gun. I finally got a couple of guns really dialed in and my groups were outstanding off sandbags. That gave me confidence in my shooting and let know that if the gun is the big variable and not my shooting. I still pull one every now and then but not often.

I don't think of myself as anything other than an average shot. That being the case, most others would also shoot great groups if their gun is right.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:56 AM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I think I would want to use the Lead Sled to make it easy to accurately sight-in, then not use it again for general shooting.

I might want to know the gun is actually spot-on, so that I can then determine just how bad a shot I really am.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:00 PM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 779 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 227

I do not see any use for the sled. It's not you shooting. I have a 300 Weatherby, sighted in 50yrs ago, been on planes, horseback, still dead nuts on. Minor adjustment for ammo.
Also a little of your blood dripping on the scope is a good learning experience.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Old 10-07-2012, 04:24 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2178 Times on 1187 Posts
Likes Given: 3323

I

Quote:
do not see any use for the sled. It's not you shooting.
+1
Never saw any need for a lead sled. i install a lot of scopes and sight in a lot of rifles. Luckily, i'm nearly impervious to recoil, and that helps greatly. See a lot of folks sight in their rifles using lead sleds and never fire the gun from their shoulder. Some of those guys have come back to the range for help after missing or wounding deer and elk because the gun was not properly zeroed. Saw quite a few stocks ruined by lead sleds too.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:38 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

At the range I shoot with the front stock in the sandbagged cradle and the rifle against my shoulder. The butt end is not touching sandbags or anything else, except me.

Regarding the Lead Sled, in my mind, it would seem a very good way to help provide pin-point accuracy for the initial sighting in, using the same ammo that I would use for general shooting.

If I'm using Winchester X 130 grain for the .270, I take the bore-sighted rifle, place it in the Lead Sled and sight-in for that particular ammo.

I'm not going to have as steady of a hand as a stationary base would, so figured if the rifle rests snugly in the Lead Sled, I have a better chance of getting off a consistent / true shot each time with less variance, which is what I would want for accurately sighting in the rifle, correct?

Once the rifle is sighted as accurately as possible using my preferred ammo, I can feel pretty confident that any variation from target is My doing and not the rifles.

From that point I can work towards improving my technique until I'm able to get a good grouping on a consistent basis.

Again, I'd only use the Lead Sled for initial sighting. After sighting is complete, that Lead Sled is tucked away in the garage and only brought out if for some reason the scope becomes off, or I change ammunition, say to 150 grain and maybe a different brand.

Hope that makes more sense.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #10

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I sight in any gun several times. Weather, mood, caffeine intake, and many other factors can affect your shooting on a given day. Once the rifling is worn in on a new gun point of impact can change. I want to check scopes several times to make sure I don't have a POS. Have several sessions with a 22 after shooting your 300 to avoid flinching.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Last edited by Old_Crow; 10-07-2012 at 05:41 PM.